• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ambulance/EMT question

Phydeau

I have recently started working as a volunteer with my local rescue squad. I was told that Virginia state law prohibits rescue squad personnel from carrying on an ambulance. I cannot find any such law. Does anyone know where the state stands on this?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
VCDL Addressed this

Here is the answer to VCDL from Mike Berg to VCDL about that:

Dear Mr. xxx,

As the Manager for the Regulation and Compliance Division for the Office of Emergency Medical Services, Mr. Brown has asked that I reply to your inquiry. Your question concerns the ability for EMS providers to be able to carry weapons during the course of their duties, especially while on an ambulance or responding to a request for assistance.

When the current version of the EMS Regulations were being promulgated (January 15, 2003), there was indeed a proposed regulation disallowing the carrying of weapons by EMS personnel on an ambulance. There was a mounted campaign against such a proposal and indeed the proposed regulation was withdrawn. Unfortunately, in another section of the regulations, specifically, 12 VAC 5-31- 700 EMS Safety (6) in part states, "Possession of a firearm, weapon, or explosive or incendiary device on any EMS vehicle is prohibited, excepts This was to have been removed during the revision process and simply was an oversight. We have administratively directed our field staff to not enforce this specific provision of the regulations.

I hope this answers your questions and addresses your concerns. Please feel free to call on me should we be of any additional assistance.

Michael D. Berg
Manager, Regulation and Compliance
Virginia Office of EMS
109 Governor Street, Suite UB-55
Richmond, Virginia 23219
(804)864-7615 (Office)
(804)864-7580 (Fax)
(800)523-6019 (Virginia only)
Michael.Berg@vdh.virginia.gov
Although some departments have internal rules regarding this.

TraumaRN

Here's a short recent blurb that is a good example of the situation our Fire and EMS guys/gals may find themselves in.

http://www.northernnecknews.com/news/view_sections.asp?idcategory=47&idarticle=3510

What does your squad say? I would think you would prefer a concealed carry if possible to not escalate the situation with the drunk and disorderly patients you will encounter. Also, with the chaos of a MVC, extrication, etc. I think you would find it hard to maintain situational awareness.

Consider also the Emerg Depts that you will be going into, will they be happy to see OC? I can surely say no.

If i was able to carry on duty, I would conceal but that's just me (I can't carry anyway due to employer rules).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Here's a short recent blurb that is a good example of the situation our Fire and EMS guys/gals may find themselves in.

http://www.northernnecknews.com/news/view_sections.asp?idcategory=47&idarticle=3510

What does your squad say? I would think you would prefer a concealed carry if possible to not escalate the situation with the drunk and disorderly patients you will encounter. Also, with the chaos of a MVC, extrication, etc. I think you would find it hard to maintain situational awareness.

Consider also the Emerg Depts that you will be going into, will they be happy to see OC? I can surely say no.

If i was able to carry on duty, I would conceal but that's just me (I can't carry anyway due to employer rules).

I don't understand disorderly patients. I've had the rescue squad called for me twice. The first time, I had a leg that was broken in three places. I didn't call them and didn't go with them (Long story) But thanked them and apologized for them making the trip for nothing.

The second time my left hand was nearly detached and I'd lost a ton of blood. I was extremely happy to have a ride to the hospital. ( I didn't call them that time either)

paramedic70002

Dang it Wolf Shadow you stole my thunder. I initiated that inquiry.

To the OP: While carrying a firearm on an ambulance is legal per the state, you may want to consider what you will do if called to respond to a jail, prison, courthouse or school. If your agency is cool with it, you will have to secure the firearm on board the medic before you go in these places or risk being prosecuted.

paramedic70002

I don't understand disorderly patients.

Drunk, drugged, low blood sugar, didn't take meds, acute psychiatric episode, bipolar, depression, suicidal, head injury, post-seizure, shock, hypoxia (low oxygen level in brain), metabolic imbalance, anxiety, fear, pain, concealed criminal activity, under arrest, unmet expectation of care (blame TV), poor attitude of EMS, and/or a combination of these. I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of right now.

Last edited:

kenny

Sorry paramedic70002.
+1 on Drunk, etc. I've been in Fire/EMS for going on 40 years and have seen a lot of unrully pt's.

Wolf_shadow, I have about the same number of years under my belt as well and I can truly say not once have I needed a firearm to protect myself. Protocol demands a police presence before entering a dangerous situation. I am not saying there are not dangerous situations, just never needed a firearm. I have much cooler items at my disposal should the need arise.

To the OP, if you want to carry a firearm find police department that has auxiliary officers and join. Firearms and ambulances don't mix and never will.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Wolf_shadow, I have about the same number of years under my belt as well and I can truly say not once have I needed a firearm to protect myself. Protocol demands a police presence before entering a dangerous situation. I am not saying there are not dangerous situations, just never needed a firearm. I have much cooler items at my disposal should the need arise.

To the OP, if you want to carry a firearm find police department that has auxiliary officers and join. Firearms and ambulances don't mix and never will.

Depending on the PD to protect you is like playing the stock market and depending on a rabbits foot to get rich.

There's nothing wrong with the OP feeling the need to be armed Kenny. Sometimes I really wonder why you're here. Some of the stuff you come up with is more anti then the anti's.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member

Tell that to the fire/medic that was on what was supposed to be on a routine sick person call and was attacked. It took ten minutes to get help there.

Kenny do you always know exactly what your walking into? I haven't ever needed my firearm and hope I never do, but like a fire extinguisher I'd rather have it.

Currently in Virginia it is a felony to attack a Volunteer EMT/Firefighter. That wasn't the case until some members of my department were attacked and the case was thrown out by the judge because of the way the law was written. We had to go to our rep in the legislature to get it changed.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Depending on the PD to protect you is like playing the stock market and depending on a rabbits foot to get rich.

There's nothing wrong with the OP feeling the need to be armed Kenny. Sometimes I really wonder why you're here. Some of the stuff you come up with is more anti then the anti's.

+1

curtiswr

Protocol demands a police presence before entering a dangerous situation.

What if the police create the dangerous situation?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KluItc365hU

To the OP, if you want to carry a firearm find police department that has auxiliary officers and join.

That's like telling anybody that wants to carry a firearm to join the police department. What sense does that make at all?

Firearms and ambulances don't mix and never will.

How many times have we heard similar to that with other situations/places, especially recently with the CC in alcohol-serving establishments law going into effect? Are you active with the Brady Campaign on a national, state, or local level?

kenny

Since I have never walked in your shoe and I know that you have not walked in mind please respect my opinion and the numerous years of experience that back it up.

kenny

Tell that to the fire/medic that was on what was supposed to be on a routine sick person call and was attacked. It took ten minutes to get help there.

Kenny do you always know exactly what your walking into? I haven't ever needed my firearm and hope I never do, but like a fire extinguisher I'd rather have it.

Currently in Virginia it is a felony to attack a Volunteer EMT/Firefighter. That wasn't the case until some members of my department were attacked and the case was thrown out by the judge because of the way the law was written. We had to go to our rep in the legislature to get it changed.

I agree with your first sentence.

Your second sentence is a little vague. Just because it is felony to attack a volunteer EMS/FF that makes it o.k. to carry? I'm sure your department will have something to say about that.

kenny

What if the police create the dangerous situation?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KluItc365hU

That's like telling anybody that wants to carry a firearm to join the police department. What sense does that make at all?

How many times have we heard similar to that with other situations/places, especially recently with the CC in alcohol-serving establishments law going into effect? Are you active with the Brady Campaign on a national, state, or local level?

I am there to treat the sick or injured, not to cause further harm.

Any department or squad will tell if you even fell you like is in danger, leave the scene.

I did not say anything about alcohol serving establishments or the Brady Campaign and I do not patronize either.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by peter nap

Since I have never walked in your shoe and I know that you have not walked in mind please respect my opinion and the numerous years of experience that back it up.

Respecting one's right to have an opinion is NOT the same as agreeing with it nor does it become more valid based on time in grade.

curtiswr

How does the mere presence of a gun and the fact that one is carrying it bring harm to the scene and/or those you are trying to treat?

Just as feeling safe and being safe are two different things, danger can be the same. One can feel like they are in danger, and not be... or feel safe, and be in danger. The difference between feeling safe and being safe is brought up a lot on this site and through many other pro gun mediums. I'm surprised you can't make the correlation or connect the dots between the fallacies of the anti-gun approach to many common situations in relation to how you are approaching this... but then again you don't seem to understand analogous links very well at all.

I didn't say you said anything about either of the two (ABC-on establishments and the Brady Campaign); I said that what you did say was analogous to what has been said about or by them, respectively.

Last edited:

simmonsjoe

He drank the kool-aide

There are some stupid ideas floated around by many EMT programs.

If you think you can always avoid a bad situation, cancel all your insurance plans, sell all your guns, and go join the other feel-good crowd.

paramedic70002

What a curious route this thread has taken. I can't follow the logic that 'citizens' are OK to carry but EMS has no place for weapons. I may not have as much experience in EMS as some (only 28 years service versus 40, urban and rural, career and volunteer) but I can tell you that we go into people's houses and meet them on their worst days. While most patients and families give us no trouble whatsoever, there are plenty of exceptions to the rule.

I have personally been in some very compromising positions. I have had multiple family members close our avenue of escape and threaten us. I have walked into houses with the windows blacked out and no interior lighting. Imagine going from daylight to the bottom of a cave. No night vision at all. I know one EMT that had a knife pulled on him. One whole crew got attacked by a mob and beaten severely.

Recently in the news a crew was evaluating a man who got angry and went into another room. He came out with a firearm. They ran but the EMT in the rear took a round in the back and was killed. An EMS crew was murdered by an angry spouse when they got back to the station from a run. An EMT was shot by a drunk that they had given a ride home. An engine company was jumped by a gang and beaten. The list goes on, these are just the tip of the iceberg.

EMS assaults are such an issue that EMSNews has a Bodily Assault Log http://www.emsnetwork.org/artman/publish/bodily-assaults.shtml and there is a training company that specializes in teaching self defense to EMS www.dt4ems.com .

Several years ago there was an EMT who shot a woman coming at him with a knife. There were 2 LEOs on scene who ordered her to stop but never moved on her.

LEOs keeping EMS safe is a fallacy. Their job is to interview and arrest. Sometimes they get shot, so they can't always even keep themselves safe.

I carried a sidearm for several years in a volunteer capacity. I never had a problem. The weapon was concealed in a nondescript zippered waist pack or in a belly band under my armpit. It never interfered with my activities, I never found it to be in danger of being found or taken, yet it was always available if I needed it.

My current employer bans weapons on duty. I comply. I figure the odds of being discovered with a weapon are a bit higher than needing that weapon. Plus I have multiple knives, OC spray, portable oxygen bottles, etc. But I really wish that VA had Codified exemptions and protections for on duty Fire and EMS.

Being in Fire or EMS is no reason for me to give up my God given and Constitutionally protected right to self defense. Is a Firefighter's or EMT's life worth less than someone else's?

Last edited: