• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ambulance/EMT question

simmonsjoe

Being in Fire or EMS is no reason for me to give up my God given and Constitutionally protected right to self defense. Is a Firefighter's or EMT's life worth less than someone else's?
un-alienable means you CAN'T give up your right.

As I've stated before, rights incur responsibilities.
Since these right are un-alienable, you can't get rid of the responsibilities either.
You are responsible for your life.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
un-alienable means you CAN'T give up your right.

As I've stated before, rights incur responsibilities.
Since these right are un-alienable, you can't get rid of the responsibilities either.
You are responsible for your life.

You can waive your rights. Others cannot waive them for you.

Last edited:

wrightme

I am there to treat the sick or injured, not to cause further harm.
Then you choose the rational route that the person generating this topic would choose; don't shoot the patient, as long as he/she remains a patient. If they become an uncontrollable aggressor, different story. If some other person in the area becomes an aggressor, also different story.

kenny said:
Any department or squad will tell if you even fell you like is in danger, leave the scene.
Of course. What is wrong with being prepared for the time/s when the danger is not noticed before retreat is no longer possible? (assuming you meant to say "if you even feel your life is in danger..")

kenny said:
I did not say anything about alcohol serving establishments or the Brady Campaign and I do not patronize either.
Good for you. Though your thoughts and arguments do fit nicely into the Brady Campaign's game plan. Maybe they have taken over your brain and you just do not know it yet.

and @GS (waive)

Last edited:

wrightme

I agree with your first sentence.

Your second sentence is a little vague. Just because it is felony to attack a volunteer EMS/FF that makes it o.k. to carry? I'm sure your department will have something to say about that.
It was very clear. Where he works, it is now a felony to attack a volunteer EMS/FF because he and his co-workers worked to get the law written as such. That said nothing about it "ok to carry," though why you would argue that it isn't ok to carry is odd.

You are basically stating that though EMS/FF go into known dangerous situations that they should be arbitrarily stripped of a right to choose to carry for defense. That is not rational.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I see Kenny's point of view. I don't agree with it and in fact it follows the Brady's very closely.

Kenny thinks that there is some correlation between people that protect themselves and people that want to be cops.

In his opinion, Nice People...only rely on the police, not themselves.

He's right when he says I've never walked in his shoes. I have no idea what an EMT goes through. I've been a volunteer something or the other for years, Volunteer fireman, volunteer rescue tracker, volunteer forest fire team, Civil Air Patrol...etc...but never on a Rescue Squad.

What I do know is that just because someone carries a gun for his own protection, he doesn't think he is or wants to be a Cop.

I have an extensive first aid kit. I have surgical kits, a stapler, suture packs, dental tools, even a few band aids.....but that doesn't mean I want to be an EMT. It just means that 911 doesn't work on my phone and many times I'm hours from a hospital.

Kenny needs to rethink WHY people carry guns.

And....NO, 911 doesn't work on my phone. I never programed it. My wife used my phone to call in an accident we saw and got Grapeshot

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
LOL,

(entendre) :cool:

Sorry, no disrespect intended.
doh.gif