Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is kimber pepper blaster or the jpx legal in wisconsin?

Is kimber pepper blaster or the jpx legal in wisconsin?

hello
    Last edited by daveycleaning; 10-03-2010 at 05:00 AM.

Cool use g o o g l e LOL!!

http://datcp.state.wi.us/cp/consumer...pper_spray.jsp

Only products with an OC concentration of 10 percent or less are now legal in Wisconsin. It is still illegal to possess or use other tear gas products in Wisconsin.
    Last edited by BerettaFS92Custom; 07-31-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Well unless I missed something. They are both 10% oc and don't contain tear gas.

Quote Originally Posted by BerettaFS92Custom View Post
    http://datcp.state.wi.us/cp/consumer...pper_spray.jsp

Only products with an OC concentration of 10 percent or less are now legal in Wisconsin. It is still illegal to possess or use other tear gas products in Wisconsin.
    Whomever wrote that into the law is ignorant. The amount of Scoville Heat Units is what's important, not the percentage. A mixture of 2 million SHU @ 5% is going to be more effective than a mixture of 500k SHU @ 10%.
    I don't see anything in the law that mentions Scoville Heat Units.

In 1912 a Wilbur Scoville devised a means to measure the "hotness" of foods, specifically pepers. he measured the hotness in Scoville units. The hotness of peppers is caused by a chemical named Capsaicin. These days the hotness is measured as the number of units of Capsaicin in parts per million. Hard to determine what kind of 'funny water' the Lbrary Reference Bureau lawyers were drinking when they drafted the statute.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    I missed the statute part.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    I missed the statute part.
    Good point. The "statute part" is contained in Ch. 941.26(4) which authorizes the WI DOJ to set standards for the sale of pepper spray to private citizens. And those standards are found here:

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/code/jus/jus014.pdf

"Jus 14.05 Maximum allowable amount of oleoresin of capsicum. An OC product that contains more than 10% of oleoresin of capsicum may not be sold in Wisconsin."

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar
    I'm not sure that the Kimber Pepper Blaster is legal in WI. Due to the fact it uses a "powerful pyrotechnic device" to propel the OC it may fall under 167.31(1)(c). I'm not saying it does as IANAL but personally I think it falls into a gray area.

I only bring this up because I would hate to see someone get into legal trouble over this.
    Last edited by GlockMeisterG21; 07-31-2010 at 07:16 PM.
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair. Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Quote Originally Posted by GlockMeisterG21 View Post
    I'm not sure that the Kimber Pepper Blaster is legal in WI. Due to the fact it uses a "powerful pyrotechnic device" to propel the OC it may fall under 167.31(1)(c). I'm not saying it does as IANAL but personally I think it falls into a gray area.

I only bring this up because I would hate to see someone get into legal trouble over this.
    The wording does seems to imply that only an aerosol delivery system is legal.

Furthermore, the device cannot have a maximum effective range greater than 20 feet, whereas the manufacturer claims an effective range of 23 feet with the JPX model. So it appears to be illegal on that basis alone.
    Last edited by Shotgun; 07-31-2010 at 07:33 PM.

What about dye, UV or visible? I have mean green spray. It's 6% OC, shoots 15-18 feet, but contains visible green dye.

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    What about dye, UV or visible? I have mean green spray. It's 6% OC, shoots 15-18 feet, but contains visible green dye.
    Dye is not mentioned in the statutes regulating OC so it must be fine.
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair. Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Double tap.
    Last edited by GlockMeisterG21; 08-01-2010 at 01:00 AM.

McX
    i prefer a lead based spray.

well the jpx does sell different mags that say they shoot 20 feet which almost makes me think they did that to comply with some states laws. The way that the pepper comes out does raise a eye brow though. The thing that sucks is i bet if i called the company (i will on monday) they wont give me a real answer either. It figures that wisconsin would have rules like no uv dye in the oc cause we would not criminals to feel singled out when they are walking around with dye on there face! haha I mean can you imagine how wrong it would be if a guy that tried to assault someone was later napped by the police and they would be able to ID him by the uv dye! (i am of course being sarcastic)

Kimber Pepper Blaster Is Legal In Wisconsin

Initially named the "Guardian Angel" (which is what I have) it meets Wisconsin's legal specifications. I have been carrying it here for about three years IIRC. Gave one to my wife and another to my daughter. If you get one I highly suggest you get the carry pouch for it. Bought mine from Midway USA years ago. I had to give up my 1,000,000 volt stun gun I had in Florida (felony here in wonderful Wisconsin) and the Guardian Angel ...er...Pepper Blaster was the next best thing to non lethal defense in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    Initially named the "Guardian Angel" (which is what I have) it meets Wisconsin's legal specifications. I have been carrying it here for about three years IIRC. Gave one to my wife and another to my daughter. If you get one I highly suggest you get the carry pouch for it. Bought mine from Midway USA years ago. I had to give up my 1,000,000 volt stun gun I had in Florida (felony here in wonderful Wisconsin) and the Guardian Angel ...er...Pepper Blaster was the next best thing to non lethal defense in my opinion.

how did you find out for sure that the pepper blaster is legal in Wisconsin? Did you ask local PD or the company? just want to make sure

Wisconsin Limits The Concentration To 10%

Here are the details of the "Pepper Blaster":

Pepper Blaster Details

# Size: Length: 4.3 inches (110 mm), Height: 0.9 inches (23 mm), Width: 2.7 inches (70 mm)
    # Weight (charged) 4.2 ounces (120 grams)
    # Operation: Double-action with automatic switchover. Trigger safety shield.
    # Content: 2 charges filled with liquid irritant
    # Volume per charge: 0.21 fluid ounces (6 ml)
    # Irritant agent: 10% OC (oleoresin capsicum)
    # Charge velocity: 90 MPH /132 FPS
    # Effective Range Up to 13 feet (4 meters)
    # Operating temperature range -5F (-20C) to +176F (+80C)
    # Drop safety Drop tested to 5 feet (1.5 meters)
    # Water resistant: Yes
    # Carry pouch (available separately) Black Cordura
    # Colors: Black
    # Warranty: Three years from the manufacturer
    # Training unit is available separately (not this item): Inert available, filled with blue food-grade marker dye. Orange body.
    # Package contains: Pepper Blaster, manual.
    # LifeAct™ products deliver multiple shots of a powerful liquid solution containing 10% oleoresin capsicum (OC) with 2.4% capsaicinoid content. An extract of the cayenne pepper plant, OC is the most effective inflammatory agent available today and is successfully used by law enforcement and military. OC is superior to CS and CN tear gas when used against psychotics, animals, and assailants under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

State Regulations

Important: Before purchasing any Kimber LifeAct product, it is the responsibility of the purchaser to determine and comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances. NO SALES TO NEW YORK, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN & WASHINGTON DC.

Other states where pepper sprays may be restricted or regulated: Wisconsin, California, Hawaii.

Here is a link: http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-...roductID=27921

Edited to add: I would never ask the police any legal question of any kind. Heck, I would never ask them ANYTHING. I always look up the law(s) for myself and if in doubt I post here. Someone here will eventually find the correct answer and post with reference links.
    Last edited by rcawdor57; 08-01-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Well the part that worries me is the "Other states where pepper sprays may be restricted or regulated: Wisconsin, California, Hawaii." Its like saying who knows.

Red face question answered

Quote Originally Posted by daveycleaning View Post
    Well unless I missed something. They are both 10% oc and don't contain tear gas.
    yes i guess the question is answered if legal you may carry it for defense. my wife does

Where To Buy Pepper Blasters In Wisconsin

This isn't legal advice but I look at it this way: If I can buy it here in Wisconsin from many different stores it is legal. Go to the Kimber Pepper Blaster website and click on "Where To Buy". You will find many stores here in Wisconsin that sell it. I am sure they are not breaking the law by doing so.

http://www.pepperblaster.com/

Sometimes you can't sweat the small stuff....heck everything is small stuff!

This isn't legal advice but I look at it this way: If I can buy it here in Wisconsin from many different stores it is legal. Go to the Kimber Pepper Blaster website and click on "Where To Buy". You will find many stores here in Wisconsin that sell it. I am sure they are not breaking the law by doing so.
    I wouldn't use that logic. Gander Mountain and Cabela's also see mechanical feeders. made out of metal and plastic for feeding deer and turkeys and the DNR does not allow those kinds of feeders. Fireworks are sold all over the place, yet using them may cost you some money - if caught. Just a thought.

True Phred but I have come to the conclusion that there is just too much crap to worry about in life. Worrying about having a Pepper Blaster on my person for self defense isn't worth worrying about. (That sounded strange)

Another thing I have learned about Wisconsin is that it is not a state that treats it's residents as people or Citizens. Wisconsin goes out of it's way with so many B.S. laws, rules, regulations, ordinances, etc...to stifle the people here. I have lived in 20 states in this great country and have been to all of them several times and I have never seen such repression as I do here. And it bothers me is that many people here don't seem to care about being crushed under the boots of a despotic government. Sorry for the rant.

.... there is just too much crap to worry about in life.

Another thing I have learned about Wisconsin is that it is not a state that treats it's residents as people or Citizens. Wisconsin goes out of it's way with so many B.S. laws, rules, regulations, ordinances, etc...to stifle the people here. I have lived in 20 states in this great country and have been to all of them several times and I have never seen such repression as I do here. And it bothers me is that many people here don't seem to care about being crushed under the boots of a despotic government. Sorry for the rant.

I couldn't agree with you more - on both counts. I just wish we all had enough money to say "Fine, take me to court!" after we get pinched for doing what we think is constitutionally correct in defending ourselves and others.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

http://www.pepperblaster.com/

Sometimes you can't sweat the small stuff....heck everything is small stuff!
    Although you can purchase the large containers of OC, you may not use them for self defense. They are intended as "bear" repellent.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    Although you can purchase the large containers of OC, you may not use them for self defense. They are intended as "bear" repellent.
    I would take my chances on the Kimber, I think if you were open carrying and were assaulted and used the kimber spray instead of drawing your firearm the court and the DA would recognize your use of common sense.

I am sure many here will tell me why I am wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast