• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is kimber pepper blaster or the jpx legal in wisconsin?

pkbites

http://datcp.state.wi.us/cp/consumerinfo/cp/factsheets/pepper_spray.jsp

Only products with an OC concentration of 10 percent or less are now legal in Wisconsin. It is still illegal to possess or use other tear gas products in Wisconsin.

Whomever wrote that into the law is ignorant. The amount of Scoville Heat Units is what's important, not the percentage. A mixture of 2 million SHU @ 5% is going to be more effective than a mixture of 500k SHU @ 10%.
I don't see anything in the law that mentions Scoville Heat Units.

Captain Nemo

In 1912 a Wilbur Scoville devised a means to measure the "hotness" of foods, specifically pepers. he measured the hotness in Scoville units. The hotness of peppers is caused by a chemical named Capsaicin. These days the hotness is measured as the number of units of Capsaicin in parts per million. Hard to determine what kind of 'funny water' the Lbrary Reference Bureau lawyers were drinking when they drafted the statute.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I missed the statute part.

Good point. The "statute part" is contained in Ch. 941.26(4) which authorizes the WI DOJ to set standards for the sale of pepper spray to private citizens. And those standards are found here:

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/code/jus/jus014.pdf

"Jus 14.05 Maximum allowable amount of oleoresin of capsicum. An OC product that contains more than 10% of oleoresin of capsicum may not be sold in Wisconsin."

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
I'm not sure that the Kimber Pepper Blaster is legal in WI. Due to the fact it uses a "powerful pyrotechnic device" to propel the OC it may fall under 167.31(1)(c). I'm not saying it does as IANAL but personally I think it falls into a gray area.

I only bring this up because I would hate to see someone get into legal trouble over this.

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I'm not sure that the Kimber Pepper Blaster is legal in WI. Due to the fact it uses a "powerful pyrotechnic device" to propel the OC it may fall under 167.31(1)(c). I'm not saying it does as IANAL but personally I think it falls into a gray area.

I only bring this up because I would hate to see someone get into legal trouble over this.

The wording does seems to imply that only an aerosol delivery system is legal.

Furthermore, the device cannot have a maximum effective range greater than 20 feet, whereas the manufacturer claims an effective range of 23 feet with the JPX model. So it appears to be illegal on that basis alone.

Last edited:

TyGuy

What about dye, UV or visible? I have mean green spray. It's 6% OC, shoots 15-18 feet, but contains visible green dye.

daveycleaning

well the jpx does sell different mags that say they shoot 20 feet which almost makes me think they did that to comply with some states laws. The way that the pepper comes out does raise a eye brow though. The thing that sucks is i bet if i called the company (i will on monday) they wont give me a real answer either. It figures that wisconsin would have rules like no uv dye in the oc cause we would not criminals to feel singled out when they are walking around with dye on there face! haha:lol: I mean can you imagine how wrong it would be if a guy that tried to assault someone was later napped by the police and they would be able to ID him by the uv dye! (i am of course being sarcastic:))

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Kimber Pepper Blaster Is Legal In Wisconsin

Initially named the "Guardian Angel" (which is what I have) it meets Wisconsin's legal specifications. I have been carrying it here for about three years IIRC. Gave one to my wife and another to my daughter. If you get one I highly suggest you get the carry pouch for it. Bought mine from Midway USA years ago. I had to give up my 1,000,000 volt stun gun I had in Florida (felony here in wonderful Wisconsin) and the Guardian Angel ...er...Pepper Blaster was the next best thing to non lethal defense in my opinion.

daveycleaning

Initially named the "Guardian Angel" (which is what I have) it meets Wisconsin's legal specifications. I have been carrying it here for about three years IIRC. Gave one to my wife and another to my daughter. If you get one I highly suggest you get the carry pouch for it. Bought mine from Midway USA years ago. I had to give up my 1,000,000 volt stun gun I had in Florida (felony here in wonderful Wisconsin) and the Guardian Angel ...er...Pepper Blaster was the next best thing to non lethal defense in my opinion.

how did you find out for sure that the pepper blaster is legal in Wisconsin? Did you ask local PD or the company? just want to make sure

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Wisconsin Limits The Concentration To 10%

Here are the details of the "Pepper Blaster":

Pepper Blaster Details

# Size: Length: 4.3 inches (110 mm), Height: 0.9 inches (23 mm), Width: 2.7 inches (70 mm)
# Weight (charged) 4.2 ounces (120 grams)
# Operation: Double-action with automatic switchover. Trigger safety shield.
# Content: 2 charges filled with liquid irritant
# Volume per charge: 0.21 fluid ounces (6 ml)
# Irritant agent: 10% OC (oleoresin capsicum)
# Charge velocity: 90 MPH /132 FPS
# Effective Range Up to 13 feet (4 meters)
# Operating temperature range -5°F (-20°C) to +176°F (+80°C)
# Drop safety Drop tested to 5 feet (1.5 meters)
# Water resistant: Yes
# Carry pouch (available separately) Black Cordura
# Colors: Black
# Warranty: Three years from the manufacturer
# Training unit is available separately (not this item): Inert available, filled with blue food-grade marker dye. Orange body.
# Package contains: Pepper Blaster, manual.
# LifeAct™ products deliver multiple shots of a powerful liquid solution containing 10% oleoresin capsicum (OC) with 2.4% capsaicinoid content. An extract of the cayenne pepper plant, OC is the most effective inflammatory agent available today and is successfully used by law enforcement and military. OC is superior to CS and CN tear gas when used against psychotics, animals, and assailants under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

State Regulations

Important: Before purchasing any Kimber LifeAct product, it is the responsibility of the purchaser to determine and comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws and ordinances. NO SALES TO NEW YORK, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN & WASHINGTON DC.

Other states where pepper sprays may be restricted or regulated: Wisconsin, California, Hawaii.

Here is a link: http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi.../PSZ/?Template=ProdDetail.htm&ProductID=27921

Edited to add: I would never ask the police any legal question of any kind. Heck, I would never ask them ANYTHING. I always look up the law(s) for myself and if in doubt I post here. Someone here will eventually find the correct answer and post with reference links.

Last edited:

daveycleaning

Well the part that worries me is the "Other states where pepper sprays may be restricted or regulated: Wisconsin, California, Hawaii." Its like saying who knows.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Where To Buy Pepper Blasters In Wisconsin

This isn't legal advice but I look at it this way: If I can buy it here in Wisconsin from many different stores it is legal. Go to the Kimber Pepper Blaster website and click on "Where To Buy". You will find many stores here in Wisconsin that sell it. I am sure they are not breaking the law by doing so.

http://www.pepperblaster.com/

Sometimes you can't sweat the small stuff....heck everything is small stuff!