Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 94

Thread: Just what is Green Top's policy regarding open carry?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700

    Angry Just what is Green Top's policy regarding open carry?

    I was just at Green Top after the Richmond OC breakfast today, and I was planning out a purchase of a Springfield M1A Scout or Socom... speaking with Joe Gokey (sp?). I believe he is a new employee, but can't be certain. I haven't seen him there before. After walking about the store and perusing shotguns and accessories on just about every aisle, I waited 5 to 10 minutes at the gun counter to speak with Joe G. about the differences in the M1A models.

    In the midst of the discussion whilst I was contemplating the models and how I wanted to pay for it, Joe G. asked me if I was a police officer. I politely informed him that I was not. He then abruptly told me open carry was not allowed in the store and posed the question "Did you not read the sign on the door?" I told him that I read the sign in the door when it was first put up several months ago.

    Joe G. then turned to Joe Hopkins and asked for clarification of OC policy in the store. Joe Hopkins said "only if the mag is out, unloaded." I then informed both of them that I obliged the sign by being a permit holder. Joe G. got on his high horse immediately and said "WELL if you have a CHP WHY ARE YOU OPEN CARRYING?!" I asked him why I shouldn't be and to that he said "well nevermind." At that point I said "yeah, nevermind, I came here to shop not argue politics*" and left the store, only to return several minutes later to ask for Joe G's name and to make sure of Joe Hopkins'

    (*Yes I know it wasn't really setting up to be an argument of politics, but rather the merits of oc vs cc. Politics is just what rolled off my tongue, it got the point across.)

    I am probably going to go back in the coming week in order to help a coworker pick out a gun. I may go in the store, but I can say this is the end of me buying from them for now. This and the fact that they want $60.00 for a box of WWB .45ACP ball.
    Last edited by Curtis; 07-31-2010 at 02:03 PM.

  2. #2
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553
    What does the sign on the door say?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700
    The sign on the door says "No loaded firearms unless you are law enforcement personnel or you have a concealed handgun permit." It doesn't mention what mode of carry you must be in. I am working off the premise that they are assuming a CHP is a good citizen card, not that they are saying you must carry in that method.
    Last edited by Curtis; 07-31-2010 at 03:01 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    I stopped shopping there-

    When I was told the transfer fee they charged was $75. out-*******-ragious!
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    I'll talk to them again TJ.
    What I've been told before by Pat and Donnie, was that the sign was for idiots and as long as it was holstered it was OK ...Chp's and OC'ers.

    It is the result of at least two ND's

    Joe Hopkins is one of the big three so I don't know now.

    I'll let you know what I find.

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373
    Clearly just a dumb assumption. I stop there anytime I'm on my way back from S. of Richmond, to check out the specials. I don't buy anything that ain't on sale.

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Clearly just a dumb assumption. I stop there anytime I'm on my way back from S. of Richmond, to check out the specials. I don't buy anything that ain't on sale.
    That's what I'm thinking too User. If this is a new employee, he could be just misquoting the sign and Joe going along to save face.

    I've told them before that would be a bad move. Greentops has kept it's doors open because of old customer loyalty. Their prices aren't that good and some of the new employees shouldn't be there...and wouldn't have been under Hopkins ownership.

    If they start blowing off us old timers, they stand to lose a lot. Bass Pro is a lot prettier and has them bet on everything but guns. The internet is making the gun market less profitable all the time.

  8. #8
    Regular Member tcmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    368
    I was just in there earlier today, and no one mentioned anything about the glock on my right hip. I didn't notice the sign on the door, it may have been there but I sure missed it.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700
    I've gone out of my way to support them on the premise that I support local business when and if I can. I've been at a gun show, fondled a gun, left and gone to Green Top to buy it at a higher price before. Hopkins has helped me several times, from looking at a multitude of guns, to buying guns, to just ringing up the smallest of purchases... because yes I would even drive out there for a bottle of Hoppes or bag of patches if needed, as opposed to hitting up Wal Mart.

    And every time since I bought my first handgun and holster there, I OCed into the store. There were murmurings, once before, between another customer and a clerk before to the tune of the clerk saying something along the lines of it making them uncomfortable... but nothing ever came of it and I made my purchase and left. I posted about that in the Open Carry in Richmond thread, I believe.

    I asked for a print off of all the guns I've bought there so I could see how much money I'd be taking elsewhere, but didn't get it because it takes time to do and they were busy. This left a really bad taste in my mouth, regardless of whether or not it was to simply save face. If Joe G. was wrong then Joe H. should have corrected him. That Joe G. pompously asked why I would choose to do it since I had a CHP only upset me that much more. Normally I would see it as an educational opportunity, but the snicker and the glare behind it changed the tone and mood of the exchange entirely.

    I won't go to Blair's because of their p4p sign; I won't go to Pat Troy's, if I'm ever in the area, because of their p4p policy; and I'll damn sure stop buying from Green Top if they want to adapt and enforce it.

  10. #10
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Bass Pro is a lot prettier
    and has much better CHP classes!
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  11. #11
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I'll damn sure stop buying from Green Top if they want to adapt and enforce it.
    You know what would be fun? Fill the store on a Saturday with OC'ers.

    Ask TONS of questions, and buy nothing.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  12. #12
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    You know what would be fun? Fill the store on a Saturday with OC'ers.

    Ask TONS of questions, and buy nothing.
    i'd really hate to stop going there. I don't buy much there anymore. I handload, buy bulk powder over the net, buy bulk primers from a dealer that brings them to the shows so I don't have to pay Hazmat, cast my own bullets, make my own arrows and haven't bought a gun from a dealer for years....but I still keep up with them for old times sake.

    BUT..if they stand firm on the no OC policy, I'll have to make do without them.

  13. #13
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694
    I've always OC'd there and have never gotten so much as a cross look.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    I've always OC'd there and have never gotten so much as a cross look.
    Did you have your CHP stapled to your forehead?

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Is Green Top becoming semi-unfriendly?

    OK only if they can't see it?

    That would IMO be a shame and a mistake.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  16. #16
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Is Green Top becoming semi-unfriendly?

    OK only if they can't see it?

    That would IMO be a shame and a mistake.
    That would be a shame.

    Peter Nap says he's going to talk to them.

    I look forward to hearing their position.

  17. #17
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Did you have your CHP stapled to your forehead?
    No, that's where I keep a Ben Franklin to show the ladies how attractive I am.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    I've only been in GT's twice both times I was treated poorly, both times I had the intent to buy something.
    They had a used handgun I've been searching for and grips that I wanted but could order online.

    No one said anyhting about our OC'd firearms, infact no one spoke to us at all even when my wife asked for assitance, they did say bye when we exited.

    Fool me once shame on you, foul me twice shame on me, if there's a third time they'll be trouble but since I would never set foot in the store again they'll be none of that.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    No, that's where I keep a Ben Franklin to show the ladies how attractive I am.


    I thought you bejazzled your beard for that.

  20. #20
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    No, that's where I keep a Ben Franklin to show the ladies how attractive I am.
    Like this?
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    That's what I'm thinking too User. If this is a new employee, he could be just misquoting the sign and Joe going along to save face.

    I've told them before that would be a bad move. Greentops has kept it's doors open because of old customer loyalty. Their prices aren't that good and some of the new employees shouldn't be there...and wouldn't have been under Hopkins ownership.

    If they start blowing off us old timers, they stand to lose a lot. Bass Pro is a lot prettier and has them bet on everything but guns. The internet is making the gun market less profitable all the time.
    i don't know, i'm in greentop at least once a week and they would have to do something completely egregious to turn me to the shoe clerks at either Bass Pro or Gander Mountain, I've got to head up there this evening to see about a rifle i have on hold so i'll be sure to open carry. I know most of the sales guys there by name and am not familiar with Joe G., i know hutch just left so maybe they hired someone new, but the only Joe's i know are (Joe Hopkins wears glasses, mid 50's hair looks like friar tuck, Joe Johnson i'd say at least in his 60's white hair glasses, then theirs Joe Rothgeb slight build mid to late 40's black hair with glasses) Curtis if you want a black rifle go in on thurs fri or sat after 6 and ask for george or shane.

    Greentops gun selection both used and new beats any of the others around and their prices are better than both gander and bass pro, plus you can touch and feel most anything you want without it being tied to a security cable or held under lock and key until you can get somebody to help you. bass pros system of keeping a lock bar tight to the guns ensures that i'll never buy the beretta silver pigeon o/u thats on my list from them regardless of the fact that they're 300 more than greentop, i'm just not going to purchase a 2500.00 firearm that comes with stock dings.

    Gander is another story i've had one shoe clerk not know the difference between .270 win and .270wsm, and then another time i had to actually leave the gun area and get the manager from the front of the store to get out, interestingly enough the beretta silver pigeon that they had out of the showcase because the two guys in gun sales were too busy bs'ing with each other over by the register, even though one of them had said he would be glad to help me after he finished with the guy he was trying to sell a taurus to,well taurus guy was long gone and i got tired of waiting.

    Gander is pretty much off my list due to their ineptness and poor price point, i go there for slugs they are the only one that stocks the brand i use. Bass pro has no ammo selection and a limited gun selection and poor pricing but the staff is fair to middling which is a step above gander. I'll say for service your best sales staff are at greentop, dominion,degoffs in no particular order.

    oh well i've said my piece i'll let you know it plays out tonight.

    Joe L.

  22. #22
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    i don't know, i'm in greentop at least once a week and they would have to do something completely egregious to turn me to the shoe clerks at either Bass Pro or Gander Mountain, I've got to head up there this evening to see about a rifle i have on hold so i'll be sure to open carry. I know most of the sales guys there by name and am not familiar with Joe G., i know hutch just left so maybe they hired someone new, but the only Joe's i know are (Joe Hopkins wears glasses, mid 50's hair looks like friar tuck, Joe Johnson i'd say at least in his 60's white hair glasses, then theirs Joe Rothgeb slight build mid to late 40's black hair with glasses) Curtis if you want a black rifle go in on thurs fri or sat after 6 and ask for george or shane.

    Greentops gun selection both used and new beats any of the others around and their prices are better than both gander and bass pro, plus you can touch and feel most anything you want without it being tied to a security cable or held under lock and key until you can get somebody to help you. bass pros system of keeping a lock bar tight to the guns ensures that i'll never buy the beretta silver pigeon o/u thats on my list from them regardless of the fact that they're 300 more than greentop, i'm just not going to purchase a 2500.00 firearm that comes with stock dings.

    Gander is another story i've had one shoe clerk not know the difference between .270 win and .270wsm, and then another time i had to actually leave the gun area and get the manager from the front of the store to get out, interestingly enough the beretta silver pigeon that they had out of the showcase because the two guys in gun sales were too busy bs'ing with each other over by the register, even though one of them had said he would be glad to help me after he finished with the guy he was trying to sell a taurus to,well taurus guy was long gone and i got tired of waiting.

    Gander is pretty much off my list due to their ineptness and poor price point, i go there for slugs they are the only one that stocks the brand i use. Bass pro has no ammo selection and a limited gun selection and poor pricing but the staff is fair to middling which is a step above gander. I'll say for service your best sales staff are at greentop, dominion,degoffs in no particular order.

    oh well i've said my piece i'll let you know it plays out tonight.

    Joe L.
    Yep...and pretty well said Joe!
    I'm really hoping it's just a new employee.

    I think I know the employee. If I'm not mistaken, he's the one that told mt he had RE-17 in stock, which they didn't. Had to drive all the way to Bob Moats to get it.
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-02-2010 at 02:40 PM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    I thought you bejazzled your beard for that.
    The beard is GONE!

  24. #24
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    The beard is GONE!
    Heresy!
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  25. #25
    Regular Member glockfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    228
    If they know and respect you they don't give a damn how you carry at Greentop.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •