• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just what is Green Top's policy regarding open carry?

67GT390FB

That's what I'm thinking too User. If this is a new employee, he could be just misquoting the sign and Joe going along to save face.

I've told them before that would be a bad move. Greentops has kept it's doors open because of old customer loyalty. Their prices aren't that good and some of the new employees shouldn't be there...and wouldn't have been under Hopkins ownership.

If they start blowing off us old timers, they stand to lose a lot. Bass Pro is a lot prettier and has them bet on everything but guns. The internet is making the gun market less profitable all the time.

i don't know, i'm in greentop at least once a week and they would have to do something completely egregious to turn me to the shoe clerks at either Bass Pro or Gander Mountain, I've got to head up there this evening to see about a rifle i have on hold so i'll be sure to open carry. I know most of the sales guys there by name and am not familiar with Joe G., i know hutch just left so maybe they hired someone new, but the only Joe's i know are (Joe Hopkins wears glasses, mid 50's hair looks like friar tuck, Joe Johnson i'd say at least in his 60's white hair glasses, then theirs Joe Rothgeb slight build mid to late 40's black hair with glasses) Curtis if you want a black rifle go in on thurs fri or sat after 6 and ask for george or shane.

Greentops gun selection both used and new beats any of the others around and their prices are better than both gander and bass pro, plus you can touch and feel most anything you want without it being tied to a security cable or held under lock and key until you can get somebody to help you. bass pros system of keeping a lock bar tight to the guns ensures that i'll never buy the beretta silver pigeon o/u thats on my list from them regardless of the fact that they're 300 more than greentop, i'm just not going to purchase a 2500.00 firearm that comes with stock dings.

Gander is another story i've had one shoe clerk not know the difference between .270 win and .270wsm, and then another time i had to actually leave the gun area and get the manager from the front of the store to get out, interestingly enough the beretta silver pigeon that they had out of the showcase because the two guys in gun sales were too busy bs'ing with each other over by the register, even though one of them had said he would be glad to help me after he finished with the guy he was trying to sell a taurus to,well taurus guy was long gone and i got tired of waiting.

Gander is pretty much off my list due to their ineptness and poor price point, i go there for slugs they are the only one that stocks the brand i use. Bass pro has no ammo selection and a limited gun selection and poor pricing but the staff is fair to middling which is a step above gander. I'll say for service your best sales staff are at greentop, dominion,degoffs in no particular order.

oh well i've said my piece i'll let you know it plays out tonight.

Joe L.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
i don't know, i'm in greentop at least once a week and they would have to do something completely egregious to turn me to the shoe clerks at either Bass Pro or Gander Mountain, I've got to head up there this evening to see about a rifle i have on hold so i'll be sure to open carry. I know most of the sales guys there by name and am not familiar with Joe G., i know hutch just left so maybe they hired someone new, but the only Joe's i know are (Joe Hopkins wears glasses, mid 50's hair looks like friar tuck, Joe Johnson i'd say at least in his 60's white hair glasses, then theirs Joe Rothgeb slight build mid to late 40's black hair with glasses) Curtis if you want a black rifle go in on thurs fri or sat after 6 and ask for george or shane.

Greentops gun selection both used and new beats any of the others around and their prices are better than both gander and bass pro, plus you can touch and feel most anything you want without it being tied to a security cable or held under lock and key until you can get somebody to help you. bass pros system of keeping a lock bar tight to the guns ensures that i'll never buy the beretta silver pigeon o/u thats on my list from them regardless of the fact that they're 300 more than greentop, i'm just not going to purchase a 2500.00 firearm that comes with stock dings.

Gander is another story i've had one shoe clerk not know the difference between .270 win and .270wsm, and then another time i had to actually leave the gun area and get the manager from the front of the store to get out, interestingly enough the beretta silver pigeon that they had out of the showcase because the two guys in gun sales were too busy bs'ing with each other over by the register, even though one of them had said he would be glad to help me after he finished with the guy he was trying to sell a taurus to,well taurus guy was long gone and i got tired of waiting.

Gander is pretty much off my list due to their ineptness and poor price point, i go there for slugs they are the only one that stocks the brand i use. Bass pro has no ammo selection and a limited gun selection and poor pricing but the staff is fair to middling which is a step above gander. I'll say for service your best sales staff are at greentop, dominion,degoffs in no particular order.

oh well i've said my piece i'll let you know it plays out tonight.

Joe L.

Yep...and pretty well said Joe!
I'm really hoping it's just a new employee.

I think I know the employee. If I'm not mistaken, he's the one that told mt he had RE-17 in stock, which they didn't. Had to drive all the way to Bob Moats to get it.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If they know and respect you they don't give a damn how you carry at Greentop.

That's what has me puzzled.
Curtis is a regular customer, a very good customer. He is well groomed and ....normal.

I'm still betting on a new employee.

67GT390FB

Well i went in last night and spent a few hours there open carrying, looking at guns and bsing with the employees & fellow customers and nothing was ever said about the 1911 cocked and locked on my right hip. I asked Brad if they had hired anyone new to replace hutch and he didn't think they had hired anybody new. neither of the two hanover deputies that were there said anything either. Joe Hopkins even came in for a while and said nothing. Oh well Curtis i'd chalk it up to an idiot who is not usually behind the counter, they will pull guys from fishing if they are swamped maybe he came from there.

Joe

curtiswr

Well i went in last night and spent a few hours there open carrying, looking at guns and bsing with the employees & fellow customers and nothing was ever said about the 1911 cocked and locked on my right hip. I asked Brad if they had hired anyone new to replace hutch and he didn't think they had hired anybody new. neither of the two hanover deputies that were there said anything either. Joe Hopkins even came in for a while and said nothing. Oh well Curtis i'd chalk it up to an idiot who is not usually behind the counter, they will pull guys from fishing if they are swamped maybe he came from there.

Joe

I can understand that. I am heading back today or tomorrow I think with a coworker who is in the market for a handgun. I will be OCing of course. I hope not to, and don't believe I will encounter any problems. I was pretty heated over Joe Hopkins not correcting the new/transplant guy, obviously. But I've had time to cool off now and thus more open to understanding. I will probably still get my M1A there sometime.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I can understand that. I am heading back today or tomorrow I think with a coworker who is in the market for a handgun. I will be OCing of course. I hope not to, and don't believe I will encounter any problems. I was pretty heated over Joe Hopkins not correcting the new/transplant guy, obviously. But I've had time to cool off now and thus more open to understanding. I will probably still get my M1A there sometime.

Let me know of anything happens Curtis. I'm still going to talk to Donny on Thursday.

I spent a few hours with the Hanover Sheriff's Department...and they were downright pleasant. That's when you have to watch them.

Last edited:

simmonsjoe

OC'd today when I went to sell a gun.

No comment, except A guy named Bill asked me if I was gonna trade in my Glock (G19 gen 4 (brand new)) on a Kahr P380. (I asked to see the Kahr because I wanted to see how the trigger was.) I almost laughed at him.

As for the Kahr 380, trigger is really smooth compared to the Kel-tec/ruger, but still too long for me. I also tried the Diamondback DB380. trigger pull is long and smooth, lacks slide lock surprisingly. I say this because it was solidly built, and there appeared to be plenty of room for a slide lock, even if it was internal. I'm still convinced my Sig P238 is the best pocket 380 around.

Last edited:

curtiswr

No problem today, when I went with a coworker and helped him pick out a gun. They were pretty packed. Saw the same Joe Gokey(?) there, he saw me but looked kinda sheepish and skittered away to help another customer.. Joe Hopkins didn't say anything to me either. Nor did any of the other employees or people there. There was one guy with an unloaded gun OCing. Spent about 2 hours total in there and around an hour in Bass Pro as well, with no issues.

curtiswr

and you didnt stop in to say hello?

We saw you Xterra in the lot as we were leaving and thought of coming back in for info on the Utah class but were crunched for time... had to get back for Family Fun Day, which you drove by and didn't stop by and say hello at! :D

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
We saw you Xterra in the lot as we were leaving and thought of coming back in for info on the Utah class but were crunched for time... had to get back for Family Fun Day, which you drove by and didn't stop by and say hello at! :D

I saw that but didn't stop because I was sans family. I was headed to Barnes and Noble to get another Washington Post trash can liner....plus, we weren't invited to Family Fun Day!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Jim gets lonely!:D

Well, your recent trip went the same as Joe's.

I haven't seen Donnie to talk to him yet, but did talk to Pat. Same story as before. As long as it stays in the holster, it's OK.

I get the feeling that's the unwritten policy and for the record, the sign is it. I also think that;s for the insurance company's benefit.

curtiswr

Green Top can officially kiss my a$$.

Went in again and the guy from fishing sitting at the very front counter wanted to check my gun and I asked why and he said to see if it was loaded. I was astounded that he wanted me to remove a potentially loaded gun in the store and hand it to him so he could check it, but that's not the issue. I told him of course it was loaded. He told me to take it outside, unload it, and bring it back in so he could tag it with some big damn label/sticker that I wasn't going to have stuck on my gun. I asked why all of this for legal carry and he said "some of the guys want it/feel safer" to which I asked "which guys?" and he just kept saying "some of them" and I asked if it was some of the management. He said yes, and I asked which one(s). He never answered and jumped straight to asking if I had a permit instead. I said yes and he then essentially said "oh don't worry about it."

I don't give a damn if he was a fishing employee, a gun counter clerk, or whatever. All the employees should be on the same page. That page has been read to me as being another smattering of P4P bull**** to me several times now. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I've spent quite a bit of money there all while open carrying, and often before I even had a permit as well. It's a shame because some of the employees there are helpful and friendly. The others must be generated from some clone machine in the back.

Not to mention they jacked prices all to hell on what I was looking for anyway. 830 for a Super Redhawk? HA

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Went in again and the guy from fishing sitting at the very front counter wanted to check my gun and I asked why and he said to see if it was loaded. I was astounded that he wanted me to remove a potentially loaded gun in the store and hand it to him so he could check it, but that's not the issue. I told him of course it was loaded. He told me to take it outside, unload it, and bring it back in so he could tag it with some big damn label/sticker that I wasn't going to have stuck on my gun. I asked why all of this for legal carry and he said "some of the guys want it/feel safer" to which I asked "which guys?" and he just kept saying "some of them" and I asked if it was some of the management. He said yes, and I asked which one(s). He never answered and jumped straight to asking if I had a permit instead. I said yes and he then essentially said "oh don't worry about it."

I don't give a damn if he was a fishing employee, a gun counter clerk, or whatever. All the employees should be on the same page. That page has been read to me as being another smattering of P4P bull**** to me several times now. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I've spent quite a bit of money there all while open carrying, and often before I even had a permit as well. It's a shame because some of the employees there are helpful and friendly. The others must be generated from some clone machine in the back.

Not to mention they jacked prices all to hell on what I was looking for anyway. 830 for a Super Redhawk? HA

I hear that they brought some former Circuit City folks in to help ru(i)n the place.

taurusfan

He never answered and jumped straight to asking if I had a permit instead. I said yes and he then essentially said "oh don't worry about it."

You'll have to just swallow your pride and CC you can't do without Greentop.

I always get exactly what I want eventually.

dng

State Researcher
Sounds like Greentop management really needs to figure out what their policy is going to be. It's not good when different employees have different policies. It does seem that they are on a slippery slope. Do they think that we purchase firearms to sit on a shelf and look nice? They need to realize that people buy guns to carry them. What difference does it make if they're concealed or open, unless they are trying to become the politically correct gun store that doesn't really support 2nd amendment rights. Its their right to have an anti gun policy, but its also my right to take my money elsewhere. I really hate Dance's thing of all firearms behind the counter, though. But I can tolerate it because I've never had any issues there.