• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SAF takes on Maryland

Gundude

Second Amendment Foundation
12500 NE Tenth Place • Bellevue, WA 98005
(425) 454-7012 • FAX (425) 451-3959 • Second Amendment Foundation Online
SAF SUES IN MARYLAND OVER HANDGUN PERMIT DENIAL
For Immediate Release: 7/29/2010

BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation and a Baltimore County, MD man today sued Maryland authorities in federal court because the man’s handgun permit renewal was turned down on the grounds that he could not demonstrate “a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger.”

The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.

Joining SAF in the lawsuit is Raymond Woollard, who was originally issued a carry permit after a man broke into his home during a family gathering in 2002. Woollard’s permit was renewed in 2005, after the man was released from prison. That man now lives about three miles from Woollard. Defendants in the case are Terrence B. Sheridan is the Secretary and Superintendent of the Maryland State Police, and three members of the Maryland Handgun Permit Review Board, Denis Gallagher, Seymour Goldstein and Charles M. Thomas, Jr.

SAF and Woollard are represented by attorneys Alan Gura of Virginia and Cary J. Hansel of Joseph, Greenwald & Laake of Greenbelt, MD.

The lawsuit alleges that “Individuals cannot be required to demonstrate that carrying a handgun is ‘necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger’ as a prerequisite for exercising their Second Amendment rights.” Plaintiffs are seeking a permanent injunction against enforcement of the Maryland provision that requires permit applicants to “demonstrate cause” for the issuance of a carry permit.

“Laws that empower bureaucrats to deny the exercise of a fundamental civil right because they cannot show good cause to exercise that right can’t possibly stand up under constitutional scrutiny,” said SAF Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “We are supporting Mr. Woollard in this action because constitutional rights trump bureaucratic whims.”

This filing looks like a no brainer. A good precedent for Calif to notice if SAF prevails.

coolusername2007

Good for SAF and Gura! Should be a no-brainer slam dunk. However, wasn't it Scalia who said concealed carry may not be constitutional under 2A? Loosely paraphrasing here, of course.

Gundude

Good for SAF and Gura! Should be a no-brainer slam dunk. However, wasn't it Scalia who said concealed carry may not be constitutional under 2A? Loosely paraphrasing here, of course.

I don't see much difference between OC and CC. One way you see it, the other way you don't. You still have a gun. Let the people with anxiety disorder get professional help. I would suggest exposure therapy.

coolusername2007

Gundude, would you be suggesting we invite the entire Supreme Court to a UOC event?! I like it, it would be like a liberty learning field trip for them! Imagine the benefits if they could actually experience liberty for themselves! What a great idea! :cool:

Gundude

Gundude, would you be suggesting we invite the entire Supreme Court to a UOC event?! I like it, it would be like a liberty learning field trip for them! Imagine the benefits if they could actually experience liberty for themselves! What a great idea! :cool:

A SOCTUS/anitgun politicians UOC event. That would be enough exposure therapy to cure them in one shot. It would be the biggest meetup in history. I want the foreign and domestic video rights.