• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Rant? Maybe. Preaching to the Choir, I hope.

Midnight0489

Hey guys, well, as you can see, I'm new to the forum. That's not all I'm new to, though. Recently, I have purchased my first handgun, only having access to rifles and shotguns before that as I turned twenty-one (21) this year. That being said, due to the things that I may be saying in this post, I want to stress the fact that firearms are not new to me. My Father bought me my first rifle when I was 6 or 7, a .22 Ruger, and taught me his rules for safety. And boy, can I tell you that we've shot thousands of rounds through that gun. My Father's idea of spending time with his oldest son was buying a box of 500 rounds or so at Walmart and going out to my family's land and shooting for the better part of the afternoon. When I got older, he bought me a 12 gauge shotgun and took me hunting with me. We did all sorts of activities such as skeet shooting, gun shows, and the like as I was growing up.

Anyway, my point in that was that, again, I believe that I'm well-versed in the rules of firearm safety (not that accidents can't happen). As I said, I bought my first handgun, a 9mm XDM 3.8" by Springfield, and have recently begun to open carry. Given my size (more on that later), open carry is really the only option for me right now with this firearm. Given that where I am it costs nearly $200 for the conceal carry permit ($100 for the class where I've checked and $90 for the permit) in addition to the 6 weeks or so that it takes to get that permit, for the time being (and perhaps for a much longer time) I will open carry.

Reasons? There are numerous. My first reason is for personal safety. I am a relatively small man. Standing at 5' 6" tall and weighing around 160 pounds, I feel as though I may be a target when someone is looking for easy prey. I have only been approached once. Pulling over at a gas station around two (2) miles from my apartment one evening around 9 o'clock at night, I got out of my car and didn't think anything of my surroundings. This was around a year ago or so, so I can't claim young stupidity because I'm not much older, though perhaps a bit wiser, than I am now. As I get out of my car, a man, around 6'1" or so and maybe 220 pounds, comes out of "nowhere" and is standing at the front of 2000 Eclipse on the passenger side. As the man starts slowly walking around the car, he tells me, (paraphrasing) "Hey man, I need you to give me a ride. I'll give you a few bucks. I live right over there." At this point, he points over a set of railroad tracks where it was just completely pitch black. I am halfway taking my wallet out and suddenly realize what's going on as (in my mind). In that fraction of a second, (not as well-thought but with the same result) I realize that in this part of town, downtown Raleigh at the Exxon by S Person Street by 440, and at this time of night as a young half-white/half-hispanic (caucasian male), this was not the part of town I needed to be in. Unfortunately, for a few seconds, I froze as the man walks towards the driver's side and is at this point standing right in front of me. At this point, I snap and literally jump back into my car, and lock the door. The man is now at my door pulling at the handle trying to get in my car, telling me he just wants a ride and to get out of the car. The only thing I said was with the squealing of tires as I literally speed out of there.

I apologize for the excessively detailed story. I remain convinced that this was either going to end with my valuables being taken or with something much more precious being taken, IE: my life. This is a true story, and while I realize I could have called the police, at the moment, I was panicking and trying to get back home as fast as possible. I understand what happened now. I panicked. There was nothing there to help me against this physically superior man in this poorly lit area. Had he come from behind me, I don't think I'd be writing this. My point is that I have begun open carrying for my own personal defense. I remember reading on this forum, and I do read a lot on here, that someone said his firearm helped him remain calm. As I have not been in an altercation with someone while owning my firearm (and I pray that never happens!), I am praying that God will allow me to stay calm and alert. I now, of course, do not stop at that gas station. I happened to get off at exit 299 when I am returning from visiting my family in Fayetteville, so I had passed that gas station several times and thought nothing of it.

Who was going to help me? The police? While I have great respect for the men that put their lives on the line, they weren't there to help me. I only had myself to depend on. I realize now why I choose to carry a firearm in personal defense. As a post on this website told me (This post the firearm is an equalizer, in my opinion, allowing me an adequate chance to defend myself.

On the other hand, I agree that a firearm in an instrument of death. No matter how hard I try to rationalize, this is the purpose that firearms were created. To win wars, to defeat your enemies, and to take lives. I understand that many of you may not agree with me, and that's quite alright. I live in American, after all, but this is my opinion. In a perfect world, there would be no guns, or any reason to own them. Unfortunately, there are so many people out there that would do harm to me, and many of those people possess firearms. As I have explained to my girlfriend, and due to the article about sheep, wolves, and sheepdog (I lost the URL :cry:), instead of being a victim, I would rather have teeth of my own.

What about the police? That's what so many people have been saying. The police can't protect me everytime I decide to go to the store! I have to protect myself. I dislike the necessity of personal protection, and as I said, if the gun controlists could rid the world of every firearm with magic, I would say, "Go for it." Instead, I feel as though they are trying to take away the guns that the law-abiding citizens have since they can't take away the guns that the BG's (picked that acronym up here) have!

I recently talked to the Night Watch Commander for Cumberland County Sheriff's Department, and whoever I talked to told me that I could carry my firearm anywhere that it was legal, with the risk that I could be charged with Going Armed to the Terror of the Public. When I talked to the Fayetteville Police (again, with the family), they told me that, "This isn't Texas. I strongly recommend you don't carry a gun without a badge." I understand that I might have gotten slightly rude, but I said something along the lines of, "No offense intended, but you, nor your friends, are going to be able to save us everytime. I need my own firearm protection." At this point, he actually asked me my name, and I told him, and afterwards, he warned me again that though he thought it was legal, he did not recommend carrying my firearm. There was something on this site in someone's signature that said, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." I'm not saying that the police don't provide a much-needed service, and in a world that did not have BG's, I would never bother to carry my firearm (no police would be needed, either, but that's besides the point).

Anyway, I'm coming to the end of my rant with the statement that I open carry for two reasons: 1. I have to protect myself and my family, and 2. This is my right as an American. I carry my firearm with the desire that I will never have to draw it in the defense of myself or my family, but with the realization that if that day ever comes, I hope that God gives me the strength to take the necessary actions.

I apologize once again for such a long-winded post, and completely understand if you don't want to read it all or disagree with my views. That being said, I look forward to communicating with you all now that I'm on this forum.

Mudjack

Banned
Good post...

You did all the right things. Get the hell away from trouble when you smell it coming; avoid the pitfalls, like the dimly lit gas station and other places like it.

Your size has nothing whatsoever to do with your ability to protect yourself.

Your brain is your primary weapon. Your other weapons are all ancillary.

Preparing for self-defense is preparing to participate in your own murder or robbery or beating or whatever the case may be. Defense wounds are found on corpses.

Hypervigilance is no good, too. It tells predators that you are looking for trouble--and they just might feel in the mood to give you some. Maintain instead a cool, calm, casual, not concerned about anything at all attitude. It will make predators think you are either crazy or very dangerous and will likely leave you alone.

Midnight0489

I most definitely agree that looking for trouble is no way to act. I hope that I did not give that impression. I agree with you, though, that maintaining a cool head is always a good idea, regardless of the circumstances! There was a post on this website where the OP stated that his firearm allowed him to remain calm and confident. This is the desired result, in my opinion.

I disagree, in part, on that size has nothing to do with the ability to defend oneself. Certainly, there are many trained individuals out there, but in my opinion, in a fight with an ordinary person, size plays a large factor in terms of force. I am not saying self-defense options are not available, but that a smaller person (woman, child, smaller man) would be at a significant disadvantage in hand-to-hand combat.

Midnight0489

The police?

Nothing against police, they have their hands full, but the average response time in my area is about 15 minutes. A lot can happen in fifteen minutes.

I'm not very sure about the response time where I live, but I don't recommend that anyone leave their personal defense in the hands of someone that is not present.

Not to make sport of serious problems, but I don't think calling the police while being stabbed is a logical response.

And, again, please don't misunderstand my comments about LEO's.

Mudjack

Banned
People think...

The confidence people believe they have just because they are carrying a fun is false. They think that the gun gives them the power to deal with any situation. This is utter nonsense. The gun will not always be available for you, even when it is on your person.

Your brain, your primary weapon, however, is always going to be there for you. Learn to use your brain in violence first and worry about the gun later.

Most people who are trained properly for violence prefer not to carry anything at all.

Mudjack

Banned
Oh, and I almost forgot...

... Police protection is pure myth. It does not exists. The cops aren't coming and they don't care anyway--so forget about them.

Midnight0489

I agree that your brain is always your primary weapon, but, in my opinion, the confidence given by a gun, at to least to me, is not that I can solve any situation. It's that if I were in a situation where my life was threatened, I feel as though my firearm will provide me with a better chance at walking out of that situation.

No, it definitely does not guarantee my survival, or that I will not be injured. I may be unable to draw, that is true, anything can happen. A situation that be defused with words, or really any other way besides force, is ideal versus a situation where you may be forced to draw.

I'm merely stating that when such a dangerous time arises, the weapon will be at hand, as my last line of defense.

Mudjack

Banned
You're getting there..

But there you go with that "defense" gibberish again.

You're guessing and speculating and vague about too many important factors.

Take the time out of your life to get properly trained.

Ruby

But there you go with that "defense" gibberish again.

You're guessing and speculating and vague about too many important factors.

Take the time out of your life to get properly trained.

Defense, of oneself or another is not gibberish. Isn't that why we all carry? Why else would you carry a weapon of any kind if not for defense? We are certainly not planning to be offensive with it!!! I agree that everyone, including newbies, needs training, but this young man is just trying to get some positive feedback from those who are more experienced, give him a break! We've all been where he is. It sounds like he has had some training growing up.

Young man, do not go looking for trouble; enough of it will find you in your lifetime. Your firearm should be used ONLY in the face of immient death or grave bodily injury, either to yourself or another, if your state allows you to defend another. Washington state, where I reside, does. Know the laws of your state and OBSERVE THEM. Realize that not all LEOs approve of LACs (law abiding citizens) carrying guns, CC or OC. Do not start unnecessary conversations with LEOs; they have a job to do, let them do it. You may also get yourself in trouble talking to LEOs; you may say something to them that they will remember if you are ever involved in an incident. ALWAYS be polite when dealing with LEOs; being rude will not help you, and whether you like it or not, they have considerable leeway in dealing with you. If it had been me, I would not have given my name, but since you iniated the conversation, it would have been difficult not to. See what I mean about unintentionally creating a problem for yourself?
That's all I can think of at the moment. Ease into this gradually, it will take time for your confidence and comfort level to get there.

Ruby

The confidence people believe they have just because they are carrying a fun is false. They think that the gun gives them the power to deal with any situation. This is utter nonsense. The gun will not always be available for you, even when it is on your person.

Your brain, your primary weapon, however, is always going to be there for you. Learn to use your brain in violence first and worry about the gun later.

Most people who are trained properly for violence prefer not to carry anything at all.

What in the world do you mean by your last sentence? THAT'S gibberish if I ever heard it. NO ONE trains for violence, at least not law abiding citizens. We train to defend ourselves AGAINST violence! Excuse me! I am a woman and I certainly DO prefer to carry a gun to give me a fighting chance against a criminal who wants to rob me, rape me, or murder me, or all of the above! Even if you are trained in the martial arts, you cannot move faster than a bullet. Quit feeding this kid a bunch of BS!

Young man, train your brain and your gun together at the same time; you have to use the first in order to use the second one.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I would make one comment in contradiction to your "rant". I have heard many people use phrases like, "in a perfect world, there would be no guns" or "if there was no crime, I would gladly surrender my guns". Comments like this tend to tell me that the writer really doesn't like guns but considers them a necessary evil.

Well what about those of use who really do love guns - for whatever reason? Perhaps it's target shooting or hunting or collecting or just enjoying a finely made piece of machinery. What do we say to them "in a perfect world"? Too bad, give 'em up? Sorry, that's something I will not do because I fall into this category. I really do love my firearms and have no desire to give them up even if a magic wand were waved and all criminal activity ceased today.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

-snip-

On the other hand, I agree that a firearm in an instrument of death. No matter how hard I try to rationalize, this is the purpose that firearms were created. To win wars, to defeat your enemies, and to take lives.

-snip-

It is a common misconception that guns were created to take lives. That is a myth.. a lie. Guns were created so people could preserve their lives.. to continue living... by securing food to eat.. and saving their lives by defending themselves from tyrannical governments and common criminals who would callously take their lives from them.

When a gun is used by the innocent to defend from the criminal the criminal might end up dead... but that isn't the fault of the gun... it is the fault of the criminal for trying to make the innocent person dead.

However, when a criminal uses a gun to try to take the life of an innocent.. if the innocent doesn't have a gun the innocent has no method of saving his/her life and the criminal will make the innocent dead easily.

Guns were not created to take lives... they were created for the innocent to have a way to save their lives.

Last edited by a moderator:

1245A Defender

In a perfect world, where nobody, innocent, nor criminal have guns.
small victims, will still be unsafe at the hands of big criminals.
the gun in the hand of the of the small victims,
are still warranted in the hands of the small victims,
to defend the lives of the small victims.

KRM59

It is a common misconception that guns were created to take lives. That is a myth.. a lie. Guns were created so people could preserve their lives.. to continue living... by securing food to eat.. and saving their lives by defending themselves from tyrannical governments and common criminals who would callously take their lives from them.

When a gun is used by the innocent to defend from the criminal the criminal might end up dead... but that isn't the fault of the gun... it is the fault of the criminal for trying to make the innocent person dead.

However, when a criminal uses a gun to try to take the life of an innocent.. if the innocent doesn't have a gun the innocent has no method of saving his/her life and the criminal will make the innocent dead easily.

Guns were not created to take lives... they were created for the innocent to have a way to save their lives.

just to interject...... The Gun was Invented to wage War. http://www.riv.co.nz/rnza/hist/gun/firstgun.htm

sad but true, now as they progressed and became something more portable and accurate then they were a means to bring food to the table.

keep in mind what you mean by gun...... the first ones were large,like cannons. then came the hand held cannon, couldn't hit a barn at 20 yard with it, so hunting for food was not an option, then they got better to be used in food gathering.
so to say they were invented.... :( Guns were created so people could preserve their lives.. to continue living... by securing food to eat.. and saving their lives by defending themselves from tyrannical governments and common criminals who would callously take their lives from them.) is basicly incorrect. it finaly got to that point but it took many years to evolve.
so to say guns were invented to take lives is a correct statement.

Last edited:

paramedic70002

Your response to the bum was appropriate whether you were armed or not. There may have been a better or different response, but you did fine.

That second LEO you talked to, I think, was of the mindset that only the police are properly trained/authorized to use guns. Forget him.

Become an activist and worked to get that armed terror thing off the books. It probably has roots in post Civil War attempts to control freed slaves.

B

Bikenut

just to interject...... The Gun was Invented to wage War. http://www.riv.co.nz/rnza/hist/gun/firstgun.htm

sad but true, now as they progressed and became something more portable and accurate then they were a means to bring food to the table.

keep in mind what you mean by gun...... the first ones were large,like cannons. then came the hand held cannon, couldn't hit a barn at 20 yard with it, so hunting for food was not an option, then they got better to be used in food gathering.
so to say they were invented.... :( Guns were created so people could preserve their lives.. to continue living... by securing food to eat.. and saving their lives by defending themselves from tyrannical governments and common criminals who would callously take their lives from them.) is basicly incorrect. it finaly got to that point but it took many years to evolve.
so to say guns were invented to take lives is a correct statement.

War is also self defense but on a much larger scale.

Ruby

I would make one comment in contradiction to your "rant". I have heard many people use phrases like, "in a perfect world, there would be no guns" or "if there was no crime, I would gladly surrender my guns". Comments like this tend to tell me that the writer really doesn't like guns but considers them a necessary evil.

Well what about those of use who really do love guns - for whatever reason? Perhaps it's target shooting or hunting or collecting or just enjoying a finely made piece of machinery. What do we say to them "in a perfect world"? Too bad, give 'em up? Sorry, that's something I will not do because I fall into this category. I really do love my firearms and have no desire to give them up even if a magic wand were waved and all criminal activity ceased today.

I agree completely. And there are women who also love guns-I'm one of them. Even if there were no need for self defense, I would not give mine up.

Midnight0489- type "video I like guns" into your browser. It's a video on YouTube by Steve Lee. I think you will get the idea.

Deanimator

Three things to remember:

• Police have no legal duty to protect individuals.
  • Police have no legal liability when they fail to protect individuals.
  • Police have virtually no physical ability to protect individuals.
When you're in physical danger RIGHT NOW, protect YOURSELF or just don't get protected AT ALL. Any claim to the contrary is at best nonsense, at worst a lie. 911 is a communications system of variable efficacy, NOT a matter transporter. Even if the police in your area are diligent and don't deliver services based on your race, ethnicity or class (unlike the city where I was born), their good intentions can't trump physics. If it takes them three minutes to reach your location and it takes your assailant two minutes to choke, beat, stab or shoot you to death, OR the police have three officers worth of emergencies and two officers to address them, you're going to have a VERY bad day, one which you probably won't ever get to tell anyone about... absent a seance.

The police are about as likely to protect you from the immediate use of deadly force as they are to protect you from an asteroid impact.

As far as doing away with ALL firearms, that would merely create a situation where large, strong men armed with edged weapons and clubs controlled the rest of society. We've already tried that. It was called the "dark ages".

45acpForMe

Welcome to the forum.

You might post in the NC forum to get more input on NC laws and get togethers.

Don't feel bad being a smaller man, just think of your aggressor as a bigger target! Glass half full. :) Great thing about the equalizer, it can make a 80lb grandma equal with a 230lb man.

Practice at the range and read up on the laws. NC has some unique laws like "ticketed events" that you need to be versed in to be a law abiding citizen.

Just this past Tuesday a man stabbed an ex girlfriend at our local walmart and ran around the store holding people hostage. I OC at that same store and have twice had people say (state not ask) "Why do you need a gun in Walmart?!". So **** happens anywhere and everywhere. Being prepared is worth a little criticism from anti's.