Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VaGunTrader.com down???

VaGunTrader.com down???

I just got back in town last night so don't know how long it has been down. Anyone know? While opencarry.org doesn't sell firearms, having access to a site that helps people sell is good, especially for folks that can't afford a new gun. Hopefully they will be back up soon.
    I have been getting the following error from them:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
    Apache/1.3.41 Server at vaguntrader.com Port 80

It has been down since sometime late Thursday/early Friday. The bandwidth error is somewhat common with them, especially since the place has grown so much and gotten more popular as word has gotten around.

I was wondering myself. I checked it Thursday morning and it was down then. I guess their host doesn't support such a big forum. I thought they used the same host as the Open Carry forum but I guess they get more traffic. Hopefully it's back up soon... It's become part of my daily routine!

Unhappy

I miss it as well, got my P22 off of there and I always check it after work for any reasonable deal...

I can't help wondering whether SOME folks (who don't like our being willing and able to defend ourselves) are targeting sites like VaGunTrader with huge volumes of data in order to try to shut them down this way. These people are unscrupulous and ruthless criminals, you know, and I wouldn't put it past them.

yea...good ol WowBB has let me down again. Time to cut them lose and host elsewhere. Customer support must be on vacation, havent hear back from them since alerting them early Friday.

Who does this site use for hosting since they left wowbb?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I don't understand that. I have an inexpensive host (Fat Cow) and while I do have issues with them from time to time and I do slow down during extremely heavy times, I have unlimited bandwidth.

I've had some hacking attempts but never a denial of service problem.

I think he needs to chuck that host quick.

yea Peter, time to chuck the wowbb software too. Time for an upgrade like this site did. Some of the mods are helping me look into the best route to take. I'm no expert on making that move either so I'll need some help there too.

Stay away from Blue Host. Price is good, features are great, tech support is top notch and they throttle your bandwidth when the servers get busy.

I'm betting it will be back up after midnight when the calendar clicks over to a brand new month.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    I'm betting it will be back up after midnight when the calendar clicks over to a brand new month.
    That's what I was thinking. Luckily it only happened a few days until the new month!

And I've got 56 PMs to wade through. I'm not going to stay up late just to do that. Tomorrow morning is going to be soon enough.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by kg4usk View Post
    I was wondering myself. I checked it Thursday morning and it was down then. I guess their host doesn't support such a big forum. I thought they used the same host as the Open Carry forum but I guess they get more traffic. Hopefully it's back up soon... It's become part of my daily routine!
    They use the same forum we migrated FROM. The big issue they have is not the number of posts / page views, but rather the fact that almost every post has multiple images which eats up the bandwidth.

John

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    They use the same forum we migrated FROM. The big issue they have is not the number of posts / page views, but rather the fact that almost every post has multiple images which eats up the bandwidth.

John
    Get a better host. I have virtually unlimited bandwidth hosting two sites.
    It must have just gone "new month," because it shows that my sites have used
    0 / 9999999 MB

So that will handle 10,000 GB of transfer?

I just reviewed the charts and graphs from my sites, and the site with the most use was 5.7GB for the month of july, and that is the 0 / 9999999 MB
    Last edited by wrightme; 07-31-2010 at 11:29 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post

John
    Which is why I host my images on Photobucket, so it has no effect on Vaguntrader.
    Might be a good idea to turn off the ability to attach images to the site, and write / follow the tutorial in the posting pictures section. Text is cheap, images are not.
    Last edited by t33j; 07-31-2010 at 11:10 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

The site is back up. Apparently no worse for the experience.

stay safe.

VAGT is back online

Which is why I host my images on Photobucket, so it has no effect on Vaguntrader.
    Same here, just good etiquette in my book. Plus gives the added advantage of being able to post those same images elsewhere if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    Same here, just good etiquette in my book. Plus gives the added advantage of being able to post those same images elsewhere if needed.
    and delete the pics remotely after the item is no longer available, even if the thread gets locked.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    trx - it may be time to consider charging $1.00 per transaction/ad. That would help defray the cost of upgrading.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    trx - it may be time to consider charging $1.00 per transaction/ad. That would help defray the cost of upgrading.
    not to sound cheap, but I'll just move on to other sites if VAGT starts charging members for use. Plenty of other sites that are also free I can and do use. Heck I'm a paying member over at arfcom for the next year...that's less than 7 cents per day. And that's not even needed to use their equipment exchange that gets lots of traffic.

Rather than charge users, I'd look into ad space. Lots of gun forums have gone this route (including OCDO, arfcom, glocktalk, etc) to support the cost of running the site.

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    not to sound cheap, but I'll just move on to other sites if VAGT starts charging members for use. Plenty of other sites that are also free I can and do use. Heck I'm a paying member over at arfcom for the next year...that's less than 7 cents per day. And that's not even needed to use their equipment exchange that gets lots of traffic.

Rather than charge users, I'd look into ad space. Lots of gun forums have gone this route (including OCDO, arfcom, glocktalk, etc) to support the cost of running the site.
    I don't think gun sellers would mind a buck a transaction but collecting it would be a PITA.
    I agree that ad space would be a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I don't think gun sellers would mind a buck a transaction but collecting it would be a PITA.
    It would start at a buck, but like most things...

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I'd be happy to run an ad there. I've offered it in the past.

I do think though that asking for $1.00 per transaction is not asking much at all. The forum has really taken off and been very successful. $1.00 for the chance to make $300? $400? $500? We're talking pennies here.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Checking it ten times a day just to see the next two posted handguns doesn't help their bandwidth problems.

Fortunately, I check it at least 20 times a day to be first in line for any great deal.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast