• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VaGunTrader.com down???

45acpForMe

I just got back in town last night so don't know how long it has been down. Anyone know? While opencarry.org doesn't sell firearms, having access to a site that helps people sell is good, especially for folks that can't afford a new gun. Hopefully they will be back up soon.
I have been getting the following error from them:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
Apache/1.3.41 Server at vaguntrader.com Port 80

curtiswr

It has been down since sometime late Thursday/early Friday. The bandwidth error is somewhat common with them, especially since the place has grown so much and gotten more popular as word has gotten around.

kg4usk

I was wondering myself. I checked it Thursday morning and it was down then. I guess their host doesn't support such a big forum. I thought they used the same host as the Open Carry forum but I guess they get more traffic. Hopefully it's back up soon... It's become part of my daily routine!

user

Accomplished Advocate
I can't help wondering whether SOME folks (who don't like our being willing and able to defend ourselves) are targeting sites like VaGunTrader with huge volumes of data in order to try to shut them down this way. These people are unscrupulous and ruthless criminals, you know, and I wouldn't put it past them.

VaGunTrader

yea...good ol WowBB has let me down again. Time to cut them lose and host elsewhere. Customer support must be on vacation, havent hear back from them since alerting them early Friday.

Who does this site use for hosting since they left wowbb?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't understand that. I have an inexpensive host (Fat Cow) and while I do have issues with them from time to time and I do slow down during extremely heavy times, I have unlimited bandwidth.

I've had some hacking attempts but never a denial of service problem.

I think he needs to chuck that host quick.

VaGunTrader

yea Peter, time to chuck the wowbb software too. Time for an upgrade like this site did. Some of the mods are helping me look into the best route to take. I'm no expert on making that move either so I'll need some help there too.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Stay away from Blue Host. Price is good, features are great, tech support is top notch and they throttle your bandwidth when the servers get busy.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
And I've got 56 PMs to wade through. I'm not going to stay up late just to do that. Tomorrow morning is going to be soon enough.

stay safe.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering myself. I checked it Thursday morning and it was down then. I guess their host doesn't support such a big forum. I thought they used the same host as the Open Carry forum but I guess they get more traffic. Hopefully it's back up soon... It's become part of my daily routine!

They use the same forum we migrated FROM. The big issue they have is not the number of posts / page views, but rather the fact that almost every post has multiple images which eats up the bandwidth.

John

wrightme

They use the same forum we migrated FROM. The big issue they have is not the number of posts / page views, but rather the fact that almost every post has multiple images which eats up the bandwidth.

John

Get a better host. I have virtually unlimited bandwidth hosting two sites.
It must have just gone "new month," because it shows that my sites have used
0 / 9999999 MB :cool:

So that will handle 10,000 GB of transfer?

I just reviewed the charts and graphs from my sites, and the site with the most use was 5.7GB for the month of july, and that is the 0 / 9999999 MB

Last edited:

t33j

John
Which is why I host my images on Photobucket, so it has no effect on Vaguntrader.
Might be a good idea to turn off the ability to attach images to the site, and write / follow the tutorial in the posting pictures section. Text is cheap, images are not.

Last edited:

nova

Same here, just good etiquette in my book. Plus gives the added advantage of being able to post those same images elsewhere if needed.

and delete the pics remotely after the item is no longer available, even if the thread gets locked.