Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OC with snake shot...again

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

OC with snake shot...again

What is it with Copperheads. Every year I get a couple that like my yard.

This is a nasty one too.
    He took a swipe at Zeus and I had to drag the stupid dog inside and while I was doing that, he tried to bite me in the back of the leg.

This snake is toast if it takes me all night!

Could it just be they recognize a kindred spirit?

Seriously, how much birdshot can you get into a Blammy-Shell? And how much snake would be left?

We want pictures.

stay safe.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    SNIP This snake is toast if it takes me all night!
    Copperhead bruschetta. Mmmmmmm.

Do Blammy shells have to be home rolled to load snake shot? Or do they make one that fits? I do like that my 45 will cycle correctly with shot shells, The wife's 40 does not. Of course all my revolvers have no issue with shot shells but .22LR and .38 Special are available pretty commonly.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Copperhead bruschetta. Mmmmmmm.
    Tastes like chicken, right?

Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    Do Blammy shells have to be home rolled to load snake shot? Or do they make one that fits? I do like that my 45 will cycle correctly with shot shells, The wife's 40 does not. Of course all my revolvers have no issue with shot shells but .22LR and .38 Special are available pretty commonly.
    Blammy shells have to be home rolled ...period. I make em out of blown out 50 BMG cases with a 12 ga head attached to keep it legal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b1-3.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	3445
    I've looked under every bush in the yard for the little back biter...I'm going to start in the woods now.

Blammy shells have to be home rolled ...period. I make em out of blown out 50 BMG cases with a 12 ga head attached to keep it legal.

I've looked under every bush in the yard for the little back biter...I'm going to start in the woods now.

Im calling PETA

Quote Originally Posted by xdm guy View Post
    Im calling PETA
    Great idea!

These folks are great when it comes to throwing blood on your fur coat, but animals under their care don't fare very well.

Either way, that snake is doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock27Bill View Post
    Great idea!

These folks are great when it comes to throwing blood on your fur coat, but animals under their care don't fare very well.

Maybe not.

I turned over every stick, log, leaf and grass patch for 200 feet around the house. All I found was a blacksnake which I left alone.

Today, I'm going to trim all the lower branches on my hedge and get whatever is on the ground near the house.

If I don't find him, maybe he'll go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock27Bill View Post
    Great idea!

Where did you think they got the blood from?

Here he is! He must of snuck on the forum when you weren't lookin'

http://www.youtube.com/v/9SrxQsE_Sfo
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 08-01-2010 at 02:01 PM.

You could be a redneck

My Advice to You...

Copperheads seem to like moist areas, but not too moist. I would bet that you see them after a good rain and if you see one, there is bound to be more. They are quite common in this area.

My cul-de-sac is adjacent to the Occoquan Reservoir and several kids in my neighborhood got bit when they were running around in the woods with flip flops.

My advice to you is to not go running around in your yard without shoes on; better still would be to wear ankle high boots especially after a good rain.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerdon View Post
    Copperheads seem to like moist areas, but not too moist. I would bet that you see them after a good rain and if you see one, there is bound to be more. They are quite common in this area.

My cul-de-sac is adjacent to the Occoquan Reservoir and several kids in my neighborhood got bit when they were running around in the woods with flip flops.

My advice to you is to not go running around in your yard without shoes on; better still would be to wear ankle high boots especially after a good rain.
    I don't usually bother them unless they get too close to the house. It seems to happen at least once a year.
    I have two creeks going through my yard (This is the burb house) and ten acres of woods so yes I have a lot of them.

They aren't normally aggressive except during mating season (spring) but this one has a bad temper. I never had one actually move up on me and try to bite me before.

I'll get him sometime today or tonight. This time of year, they are out more after dark. I was surprised I didn't find more last night when I was turning over logs looking for him.

He also stood up higher than most. If I hadn't moved, he'd have gotten me in mid calf. He was up a full third of his body length. That's unusual. Even when I step on one they just bite at my boot.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    This snake is toast if it takes me all night!
    Nice hat band makin's.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    Here he is! He must of snuck on the forum when you weren't lookin'

http://www.youtube.com/v/9SrxQsE_Sfo
    Don't look like no copperhead I've ever mowed -- err, run over -- err, moved out of the way of the spinning blades.

Be sur to count the scales
    The scalation includes 21-25 (usually 23) rows of dorsal scales at midbody, 138-157 ventral scales in both sexes and 38-62/37-57 subcaudal scales in males/females. The subcaudals are usually single, but the percentage thereof decreases clinally from the northeast, where about 80% are undivided, to the southwest of the geographic range where as little as 50% may be undivided. On the head there are usually 9 large symmetrical plates, 6-10 (usually 8) supralabial scales and 8-13 (usually 10) sublabial scales.[3]
    to be sure it's a copperhead and not some other species.

stay safe.

Just shoot it.

You don't need to be sure it is a copperhead.

1) It was aggressive.
    2) You don't know it is non-venomous.

It is a snake. You don't need to be positive it is Poisonous. If you are unsure that is good enough.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

My Daughter's Townhouse

I don't usually bother them unless they get too close to the house. It seems to happen at least once a year.
    I have two creeks going through my yard (This is the burb house) and ten acres of woods so yes I have a lot of them.

They aren't normally aggressive except during mating season (spring) but this one has a bad temper. I never had one actually move up on me and try to bite me before.

I'll get him sometime today or tonight. This time of year, they are out more after dark. I was surprised I didn't find more last night when I was turning over logs looking for him.

He also stood up higher than most. If I hadn't moved, he'd have gotten me in mid calf. He was up a full third of his body length. That's unusual. Even when I step on one they just bite at my boot.
    My daughter lives in an end unit townhouse in Montclair. There is a big ravine in the back and everytime it rains the copperheads come around and get into the rock garden in the front. The kid who lives next door got bitten by one a few years ago.

I would suspect that once you started turning over logs, any snake in the woodpile would have been long gone. I like to kick around in the brush a bit before I walk through it, to scare away any snakes.

We have English Ivy next to our front door, which harbors garter and black snakes. Often they come out and get on the front porch. Just ten minutes ago my daughter came over and I heard a blood curdling scream...sure enough, she had encountered one; she said it was 6" long...real scary. I'm sure he is not going on the porch for a while.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b1-3.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	3445
    I know what Snake Shot is, but what exactly is "Blammy Shot"?

Speckled King Snake is the Answer

Last edited by Virginiaplanter; 08-02-2010 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    I know what Snake Shot is, but what exactly is "Blammy Shot"?
    I worked with Ed Hubel's 12 ga from Hell project for a while and came up with an easier way to change the head configuration of 50BMG cases. The last time I talked to Ed he was using it on some of his wildcats.

Blammy shells is a name I jokingly gave my .730 DDR which is a .50BMG blown out to .730. The true DDR is 4.25" long but I make them in 3.5 and 3 also.

It shoots a 1200 grain slug that I was able to get to 1800fps although I've downloaded some now for the sake of my shoulder.

I've made several slugs now including plastic jacketed ones and some I turned from solid brass.

Skidmark was joking about the snakeshot, maybe because of the Triball loads I made for it. 3- .60 round balls in a plastic jacket.

It's one of my serious business rounds.

Jesus Don...

What do you shoot that out of?
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Thanks for the Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Virginiaplanter View Post
    This morning my wife said I should get rid of the snakes next to the front door. She thinks someone else is going to freak out and break their necks falling off the porch.

I want to let them be; they don't bother me and I don't bother them.

Now I can show her these pictures and convince her that the black snakes are good.

I like the mower holster

Blammy shells is a name I jokingly gave my .730 DDR which is a .50BMG blown out to .730. The true DDR is 4.25" long but I make them in 3.5 and 3 also.

It shoots a 1200 grain slug that I was able to get to 1800fps although I've downloaded some now for the sake of my shoulder.
    If the word "download" means putting less powder in your blammy shells, you might be a redneck.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by virginiatuck View Post
    If the word "download" means putting less powder in your blammy shells, you might be a redneck.
    Mark of distinction and that is Mister Neck to some.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast