• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with snake shot...again

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What is it with Copperheads. Every year I get a couple that like my yard.

This is a nasty one too.
He took a swipe at Zeus and I had to drag the stupid dog inside and while I was doing that, he tried to bite me in the back of the leg.

This snake is toast if it takes me all night!:cuss:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Could it just be they recognize a kindred spirit?

Seriously, how much birdshot can you get into a Blammy-Shell? And how much snake would be left?

We want pictures.

stay safe.

The Wolfhound

Do Blammy shells have to be home rolled to load snake shot? Or do they make one that fits? I do like that my 45 will cycle correctly with shot shells, The wife's 40 does not. Of course all my revolvers have no issue with shot shells but .22LR and .38 Special are available pretty commonly.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Do Blammy shells have to be home rolled to load snake shot? Or do they make one that fits? I do like that my 45 will cycle correctly with shot shells, The wife's 40 does not. Of course all my revolvers have no issue with shot shells but .22LR and .38 Special are available pretty commonly.

Blammy shells have to be home rolled ...period. I make em out of blown out 50 BMG cases with a 12 ga head attached to keep it legal.

b1-3.jpg
I've looked under every bush in the yard for the little back biter...I'm going to start in the woods now.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Great idea!

These folks are great when it comes to throwing blood on your fur coat, but animals under their care don't fare very well.

Either way, that snake is doomed.

Maybe not.

I turned over every stick, log, leaf and grass patch for 200 feet around the house. All I found was a blacksnake which I left alone.

Today, I'm going to trim all the lower branches on my hedge and get whatever is on the ground near the house.

If I don't find him, maybe he'll go somewhere else.

tcmech

Great idea!

These folks are great when it comes to throwing blood on your fur coat, but animals under their care don't fare very well.

Either way, that snake is doomed.

Where did you think they got the blood from?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You could be a redneck

redneck.jpg

Don Barnett

My Advice to You...

Copperheads seem to like moist areas, but not too moist. I would bet that you see them after a good rain and if you see one, there is bound to be more. They are quite common in this area.

My cul-de-sac is adjacent to the Occoquan Reservoir and several kids in my neighborhood got bit when they were running around in the woods with flip flops.

My advice to you is to not go running around in your yard without shoes on; better still would be to wear ankle high boots especially after a good rain.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Copperheads seem to like moist areas, but not too moist. I would bet that you see them after a good rain and if you see one, there is bound to be more. They are quite common in this area.

My cul-de-sac is adjacent to the Occoquan Reservoir and several kids in my neighborhood got bit when they were running around in the woods with flip flops.

My advice to you is to not go running around in your yard without shoes on; better still would be to wear ankle high boots especially after a good rain.

I don't usually bother them unless they get too close to the house. It seems to happen at least once a year.
I have two creeks going through my yard (This is the burb house) and ten acres of woods so yes I have a lot of them.

They aren't normally aggressive except during mating season (spring) but this one has a bad temper. I never had one actually move up on me and try to bite me before.

I'll get him sometime today or tonight. This time of year, they are out more after dark. I was surprised I didn't find more last night when I was turning over logs looking for him.

He also stood up higher than most. If I hadn't moved, he'd have gotten me in mid calf. He was up a full third of his body length. That's unusual. Even when I step on one they just bite at my boot.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Here he is! He must of snuck on the forum when you weren't lookin'

[video]http://www.youtube.com/v/9SrxQsE_Sfo[/video]

Don't look like no copperhead I've ever mowed -- err, run over -- err, moved out of the way of the spinning blades.

Be sur to count the scales
The scalation includes 21-25 (usually 23) rows of dorsal scales at midbody, 138-157 ventral scales in both sexes and 38-62/37-57 subcaudal scales in males/females. The subcaudals are usually single, but the percentage thereof decreases clinally from the northeast, where about 80% are undivided, to the southwest of the geographic range where as little as 50% may be undivided. On the head there are usually 9 large symmetrical plates, 6-10 (usually 8) supralabial scales and 8-13 (usually 10) sublabial scales.[3]
to be sure it's a copperhead and not some other species.

stay safe.

simmonsjoe

Just shoot it.

You don't need to be sure it is a copperhead.

1) It was aggressive.
2) You don't know it is non-venomous.

It is a snake. You don't need to be positive it is Poisonous. If you are unsure that is good enough.

Don Barnett

My Daughter's Townhouse

I don't usually bother them unless they get too close to the house. It seems to happen at least once a year.
I have two creeks going through my yard (This is the burb house) and ten acres of woods so yes I have a lot of them.

They aren't normally aggressive except during mating season (spring) but this one has a bad temper. I never had one actually move up on me and try to bite me before.

I'll get him sometime today or tonight. This time of year, they are out more after dark. I was surprised I didn't find more last night when I was turning over logs looking for him.

He also stood up higher than most. If I hadn't moved, he'd have gotten me in mid calf. He was up a full third of his body length. That's unusual. Even when I step on one they just bite at my boot.

My daughter lives in an end unit townhouse in Montclair. There is a big ravine in the back and everytime it rains the copperheads come around and get into the rock garden in the front. The kid who lives next door got bitten by one a few years ago.

I would suspect that once you started turning over logs, any snake in the woodpile would have been long gone. I like to kick around in the brush a bit before I walk through it, to scare away any snakes.

We have English Ivy next to our front door, which harbors garter and black snakes. Often they come out and get on the front porch. Just ten minutes ago my daughter came over and I heard a blood curdling scream...sure enough, she had encountered one; she said it was 6" long...real scary. I'm sure he is not going on the porch for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.