• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with snake shot...again

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I know what Snake Shot is, but what exactly is "Blammy Shot"?

I worked with Ed Hubel's 12 ga from Hell project for a while and came up with an easier way to change the head configuration of 50BMG cases. The last time I talked to Ed he was using it on some of his wildcats.

Blammy shells is a name I jokingly gave my .730 DDR which is a .50BMG blown out to .730. The true DDR is 4.25" long but I make them in 3.5 and 3 also.

It shoots a 1200 grain slug that I was able to get to 1800fps although I've downloaded some now for the sake of my shoulder.

I've made several slugs now including plastic jacketed ones and some I turned from solid brass.

Skidmark was joking about the snakeshot, maybe because of the Triball loads I made for it. 3- .60 round balls in a plastic jacket.

It's one of my serious business rounds.

Don Barnett

Thanks for the Pictures

This morning my wife said I should get rid of the snakes next to the front door. She thinks someone else is going to freak out and break their necks falling off the porch.

I want to let them be; they don't bother me and I don't bother them.

Now I can show her these pictures and convince her that the black snakes are good.

virginiatuck

I like the mower holster

Blammy shells is a name I jokingly gave my .730 DDR which is a .50BMG blown out to .730. The true DDR is 4.25" long but I make them in 3.5 and 3 also.

It shoots a 1200 grain slug that I was able to get to 1800fps although I've downloaded some now for the sake of my shoulder.

If the word "download" means putting less powder in your blammy shells, you might be a redneck.

Marco

redneck.jpg

That's funny I have a 45-70 for my lawn tractor, there's a large bear that likes the wild rasberry's that grow at the end of my property.

Haven't seen any CH just black rat snakes.

Last edited:

celticredneck

I was out last night with a flashlight and 20 gauge loaded with #6s looking for one. My wife told me that her Cairn Terrier wouldn't go down the steps and was barking at something at the bottom. I pulled on my knee high hunting boots and went looking. Didn't find anything though. But two years ago, we had a dog bitten by one on the back porch. He (the snake, not the dog) ate two long rifles at close range.

Don Barnett

Diamondbacks and Water Moccosins (SP?)

Two people have claimed to have seen Rattlesnakes in their yards here in Prince William County, VA; to which I have said: "BS!". I think they are mistaking them for adult garter snakes, which are abundant in this area and have a pattern that could be mistaken for an Eastern Diamondback...especially to the skittish who would not look closer.

I am not a wildlife expert but have looked up their habitat on line and Northern VA is not part of it.

Anybody out there who knows?

Also, people have claimed to have seen Cottonmouths (Water Moccosins); again, I think the Northern limit of their habitat does not extend up here and they could have seen water snakes.

Any experts on this?

Thanks

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Two people have claimed to have seen Rattlesnakes in their yards here in Prince William County, VA; to which I have said: "BS!". I think they are mistaking them for adult garter snakes, which are abundant in this area and have a pattern that could be mistaken for an Eastern Diamondback...especially to the skittish who would not look closer.

I am not a wildlife expert but have looked up their habitat on line and Northern VA is not part of it.

Anybody out there who knows?

Also, people have claimed to have seen Cottonmouths (Water Moccosins); again, I think the Northern limit of their habitat does not extend up here and they could have seen water snakes.

Any experts on this?

Thanks

Not an expert, I just spend a lot of time in the woods.

I grew up in Rattlesnake country and haven't ever seen one that wasn't in the mountains. I have seen angry Copperheads shake their tails like a rattlesnake and I've seen Blacksnakes do the same thing. This may be where the old Urban Legend about Blacksnakes crossing with Rattlesnakes come from. In the leaves, they even make sort of a rattling sound.

Cottonmouth's are interesting because I don't think I've ever talked to someone that hasn't seen one...usually in their back yard. The truth is though, I've never seen one North of the James. Years ago, I had this conversation with Bob Duncan when he was a Wildlife Biologist (He's the Director of DGIF now).

He told me the same thing.

They look a little like water snakes and both have the same bad temperament. That accounts for the frequent sightings.

Once you see one in the water, you'll never mistake the two again. A watersnake swims in the water. A cottonmouth swims on the water.

They ride high like they had been inflated with air. They will also go out of their way to bite you so I'm glad we don't have a lot of them in Va. Copperhead bites aren't all that serious and there isn't even an anti venom for them. Cottonmouth's are another thing and will make you sick as the devil...or worse.

So to answer your question, I doubt outside of escaped pets:eek: You don't have either in NOVA.

Last edited:

Don Barnett

Thanks...

I grew up in Rattlesnake country and haven't ever seen one that wasn't in the mountains. I have seen angry Copperheads shake their tails like a rattlesnake and I've seen Blacksnakes do the same thing. This may be where the old Urban Legend about Blacksnakes crossing with Rattlesnakes come from. In the leaves, they even make sort of a rattling sound.

Cottonmouth's are interesting because I don't think I've ever talked to someone that hasn't seen one...usually in their back yard. The truth is though, I've never seen one North of the James. Years ago, I had this conversation with Bob Duncan when he was a Wildlife Biologist (He's the Director of DGIF now).

They look a little like water snakes and both have the same bad temperament. That accounts for the frequent sightings.

Once you see one in the water, you'll never mistake the two again. A watersnake swims in the water. A cottonmouth swims on the water.

They ride high like they had been inflated with air. They will also go out of their way to bite you so I'm glad we don't have a lot of them in Va. Copperhead bites aren't all that serious and there isn't even an anti venom for them. Cottonmouth's are another thing and will make you sick as the devil...or worse.

So to answer your question, I doubt outside of escaped pets:eek: You don't have either in NOVA.

That's what I have heard also. Thanks for the info!

67GT390FB

Don,

Don't forget about the canebreak rattlesnake here in VA, it likes the warmer climes of the beach and hanover county vs its cousin the Timber Rattler of which you are more familiar with from your youth.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/species/maps/030013-map.jpg

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Copperhead bites aren't all that serious and there isn't even an anti venom for them.

Just did a little internet search. It seems there is antivenin for copperhead bites. I'm a little unclear whether it is the same as used for other pit vipers.

Regarding seriousness, some people have long-termtrouble with the limb that got bit. I know one fella whose bitten hand swelled very big and aquired the appearance of a giant bruise. This checks with the operating mechanism of a hemotoxin (pit viper venom), which basically breaks down capillary walls. Digests them, as I understand it. Meaning pit viper venom glands are essentially a highly evolved salivary gland that, among other things, helps with the digestion process. I don't know if the hand-bite fellow had long term problems with his hand.

Last edited:

Coolman

I am sure there are Timber Rattlers in Prince William county up around Haymarket.

The northern water snake around here is non poisonous but is very aggressive.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've seen a few in the woods - a lot more in the city, different sub-species with smaller brain though.

Status
Not open for further replies.