• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Beloit - Culvers, Walmart, and Starbucks

TyGuy

I just got back. All in all it went WAY better than I expected. After driving around trying to find somewhere to eat that didn't sell alcohol we just ended up at the Beloit Culvers. I thought that it was 100% sure that the cops were going to come talk to me because that place was packed. However, no cops came, and no one even asked me what was up! Perhaps it was my 10 week old son that showed that I wasn't a crazy person there to hurt everyone.

Then we decided to do a little shopping at the Walmart across the street. My wife, son, and I were there for a little over an hour. Again, no one even asked. I got a few strange looks, but no one asked.

We started to leave town when my wife got a Starbucks craving so we stopped there for a bit too. Again, no one even mentioned it.

While I see this as progress I am also sad because I had a stack of 100 Icarry cards with me to hand out, and I didn't get to hand any of them out

BTW - what are the laws considering carrrying a knife in Wisconsin? Blade length, overall length, concealed, open, etc...?

johnny amish

Well done. It is not a suprize that you did not have a problem while oc'ing. Negative encounters are extremely rare, most people simply don't notice or don't care. It is a shame society has tried to make us believe that we are doing something wrong while we are following the law. History has shown Rosa Parks to be a hero for the civil rights movement, she broke the law that day she would not give up her seat on the bus. We have the law and the constitution on our side and we are the weird ones, I don't get it. Carry on and carry proud.

grinner

Nice work. The more comfortable we get carrying, and the less we expect strange looks and encounters, the more comfortable others will be around us, and the fewer looks and encounters we will have. The ultimate statement is to not have to make any statement at all.

Carry on!

Teamtnt2004

Nice job! I didn't had out any pamphlets until I OC'd like my 5th time. More often than no one says anything. Every once in a great while someone will ask and I had out a pamphlet. Just did to a girl who works at a gas station by my house I go into all the time. But yeah, more often then not no one will even say anything. Good job and Carry on!!!!!

littlewolf

I just got back. All in all it went WAY better than I expected. After driving around trying to find somewhere to eat that didn't sell alcohol we just ended up at the Beloit Culvers. I thought that it was 100% sure that the cops were going to come talk to me because that place was packed. However, no cops came, and no one even asked me what was up! Perhaps it was my 10 week old son that showed that I wasn't a crazy person there to hurt everyone.

Then we decided to do a little shopping at the Walmart across the street. My wife, son, and I were there for a little over an hour. Again, no one even asked. I got a few strange looks, but no one asked.

We started to leave town when my wife got a Starbucks craving so we stopped there for a bit too. Again, no one even mentioned it.

While I see this as progress I am also sad because I had a stack of 100 Icarry cards with me to hand out, and I didn't get to hand any of them out

BTW - what are the laws considering carrrying a knife in Wisconsin? Blade length, overall length, concealed, open, etc...?

I'm a newbie so please cut me some slack. What are the I carry cards and how do I get some?

TyGuy

There is another pro carry website (there are plenty more) that promotes OC and CCW in Illinois and Wisconsin specifically. It is www.icarry.org and they have business cards that you can hand out to people.

The site's founder just had criminal charges against him dropped after 4 years of court wrangling. He was following the law, but that wasn't good enough for some I guess.

Here is a link to the cards to see them.
http://www.icarry.org/store/p108/Pa....html?osCsid=7e255ccb6df90a95f4b93841e19f9f99

Deek

In a way I'm kinda bummed that nobody seems to react when I'm out OC'ing, it limits my ability to spread the word of what I'm doing and why. Score so far.... 1 person that ran to the store manager with "concerns". On the other hand.... I like the fact that I can go about my day without being hassled and being denied access. I'll just call it "leading by example".