• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ar15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beretta92FSLady

Here is the answer you are looking for: In the Spencer case he was carrying a rifle (AK-47), slung over his back. Spencer went through the legal system and was found guilty.

There is no law against open carrying a rifle. There is a law against warranting alarm which is what carrying a rifle on Spencer's back caused. My recommendation to you, since you seem to be hell bent on carrying your AR-15 is, yes, go carry openly. But, when you are made a test case and you spend tens of thousands of dollars to fight your way through the court system, don't come here whining about it.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
That is my fault and I apologize to our new member. When I moved over the forum rules, I reformatted them, combined a few and rewrote a few. In doing so, that rule did not make the new list. It has now been added but he would not have known.

John

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

The law is always in a state of flux and even lawyers and judges get it wrong from time to time. All advice posted on this forum should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an attorney, law enforcement official or expert in a given field, there is no way to verify that fact or that they are correct. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified! NOTHING CONTAINED HEREIN SHOULD BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE!

ACCEPTANCE OF RULES

If you do not agree with any of these Rules then please do not use this site, because BY USING THIS SITE YOU WILL BE DEEMED TO HAVE IRREVOCABLY AGREED TO THESE RULES. Please note that these Rules may be revised and reissued without notice at any time. You should review the current Rules regularly, since your continued use of the site will be deemed as irrevocable acceptance of any revisions.

FORUM RULES

•YOU OWN YOUR WORDS ONCE THEY ARE POSTED: While we will attempt to help those who have a legitimate need to remove postings they have made in haste or error, our time and ability to do so is not unlimited and there is no guarantee that such a request will be granted. Therefore, post only those comments that you have considered and are willing to take full responsibility for!
•RIGHT TO EDIT AND DELETE POSTS: We reserve the right to edit or remove posts for any reason, at any time, at our sole discretion.
•PRIVACY: We respect the privacy of our members and will NEVER sell or make available our member's email or other contact information to third-parties.
•RIGHT TO CONTACT: We reserve the right to contact our members via email about gun rights related initiatives. While we do offer a provision to opt-out of these mailings, we make no guarantees that such an opt-out will always be available.
•CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
•NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).
•NO SPAMMING: Links to spam/membership sites not related directly to firearms are NOT allowed under any circumstances! It is also considered spamming to post the same thread (even valid ones) to multiple forums.
•KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: This is not a general discussion web site - even the thread for "general discussions" must be fairly related to open carry, firearms and gun rights. Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.
•HATE IS NOT WELCOME HERE: Any posts attacking others based upon race, religions, national origin, sexual orientation, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE! We reserve the right to impose immediate bans for such behavior.
•WE DO NOT ALLOW "FOR SALE" OR RAFFLE ADS: We use Google Ads to help cover the expenses of the forum and their rules specifically disallow the sale of firearms, ammo and accessories (including the raffle of such). The good news is that one of our newest sponsors, OutdoorsTrader.com offers just such a service.
•RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.
•NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.
•MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS ARE NOT ALLOWED: Signing up multiple accounts (or alts) is a tactic employed by spammers and trolls and not legitimate members. Doing so will result in the banning of all accounts involved.

1245A Defender

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

theyre are 2 cases in washington that govern carrying long guns..
case 1st, cassad, a felon with guns and drugs,
stopped for carrying long guns, wrapped in a towel on his way to the pawn shop in port townsand.
he got out of the charge, because the cops did not have RAS to stop him, because, carrying guns does not in it self create RAS of of crime.
the mere presence of a firearm is Not RAS of a crime!!

the 2nd, spencer, a LAC, carrying a CCd 45, with a CPL,
was carrying a "visibly loaded" AK or AR, "at the ready", "head down", at a, time or place that
"warranted alarm for the safety of others" (9.41.270).
he was found guilty!

his long gun was NOT slung on his back!!

many people, in many states have made a habit of carrying long guns,
it is not illegal, as with hand guns, the method of carry is the KEY.

i have always contended that it is legal to sling a shot gun on your back and go to the bank
here in washington.
i get tired of anyone that says go ahead and try that, you can be the test case.

sudden valley gunner

Here is the answer you are looking for: In the Spencer case he was carrying a rifle (AK-47), slung over his back. Spencer went through the legal system and was found guilty.

There is no law against open carrying a rifle. There is a law against warranting alarm which is what carrying a rifle on Spencer's back caused. My recommendation to you, since you seem to be hell bent on carrying your AR-15 is, yes, go carry openly. But, when you are made a test case and you spend tens of thousands of dollars to fight your way through the court system, don't come here whining about it.

He was convicted because of the magazine in the rifle and for his demeanor, not for the fact he was carrying.

John thanks for the Apology, to the new member. Hope that cleared up some confusion.

69Charger

I guess you have to carry openly cuz the long gun is a biotch to find the right holster for. :)
Dave

AlexDW010.jpg

69Charger

Looks good. :)
What up with the aim on that pistola your packin.
Hope you don't have an AD. (accidental discharge)

Dave

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
jgross85, you really blew the responses out of proportion. Nobody called you dumb, and you diminish your very legitimate original post by saying so.

I've asked similar questions concerning open carry of long guns, with identical results. It appears gogodawgs answer was carefully phrased to avoid any direct insult to anyone, however he has appointed himself something of a de facto moderator for the Washington forum. As you can see, you didn't get very far before he showed you the door with the 'long gun' line of questioning.

gogodawgs, if you are so adamant about reminding others of forum rules, then why don't you get this snappy with off topic posts as well? You cited the rule yourself, ''Do not start OFF TOPIC threads or discussions such as promoting the carry of long guns.''

The forum would be more clear calling itself 'Handgun Open Carry.org' or some such title, if they don't even want simple discussion of long gun open carry.

Lastly, Aryk45XD....

''No need for attitude or insult .Seems somebody has a small pistol complex......''

Push me, shove you? Or did I miss the intended sarcasm?

Nope, first off, I am not a moderator. However, in the past and on any forum I have ever seen you are asked to police your own posts. There are two types of threads that if were shown on the evening news would make all of us look silly. Threads regarding OC of long guns and threads that bash LEO.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Gun Show

Everyone is welcome to come to the WAC show next weekend in Puyallup. M1Gunr, Deros and myself will be at the table. It is a perfect opportunity to talk about things like this and discuss the complexity of OC. The 3 of us volunteer to do this every month. We ask for help regularly and would love others to sit at the table and engage the firearms community in the great things that OC does. You are welcome to talk face to face to us.

well until i got your post those rules where not anywhere i could see and i just want help not some guy telling me im dumb cause i had a question i thought we help educate here

G20-IWB24/7

We do police ourselves around here. The long-gun open-carry topic has come up before, and it is well-known to the members that have been around here a while that though it may be an interesting theoretical and educational discussion, the forum owners have had a long-standing request (and rule) that this type of discussion not occur on their public forums.

gogodawgs simply pointed this out to you before any of the rest of us could. Back off with the personal insults, they won't get you far around here. You were explained why the question shouldn't be addressed. You could always private message some of the more experienced members with your questions instead of turning the thread into your own personal vendetta against someone who told you something you didn't want to hear. This would get your question answered without publicizing the BS that accompanied it.

-G20

aktion

Everyone is welcome to come to the WAC show next weekend in Puyallup. M1Gunr, Deros and myself will be at the table. It is a perfect opportunity to talk about things like this and discuss the complexity of OC. The 3 of us volunteer to do this every month. We ask for help regularly and would love others to sit at the table and engage the firearms community in the great things that OC does. You are welcome to talk face to face to us.

Thank you for volunteering your time for a worthy cause, I'll see you there.

wrightme

well until i got your post those rules where not anywhere i could see and i just want help not some guy telling me im dumb cause i had a question i thought we help educate here
"Rules" have their own forum area, which is the TOP one in the forum list? It is "anywhere you could see."

aktion

I believe I saw more than a few photos of people at the 2A march in Olympia OC'ing what looked like FN/FAL's. No magazine inserted.

PTR-91s, HK-91 clones. That was my wife and I and our dog. Despite a great deal of opposition and admonition on the part of several folks here, and with the support of others, we carried rifles. A few others did as well, two I can recall right off. Clearly the issue needs to be taken up elsewhere, as officially it is unwelcome here.

''you did see a couple with long arms. Ad it would be 'in a manner, at a time and place' that it would be expected.''

I'm surprised to see you post that now, after the fact, gogodawgs. You've been one of the more vocal opponents, yet now you say it was in a time and place it would be expected. We'll discuss it more next weekend.

jgross85

We do police ourselves around here. The long-gun open-carry topic has come up before, and it is well-known to the members that have been around here a while that though it may be an interesting theoretical and educational discussion, the forum owners have had a long-standing request (and rule) that this type of discussion not occur on their public forums.

gogodawgs simply pointed this out to you before any of the rest of us could. Back off with the personal insults, they won't get you far around here. You were explained why the question shouldn't be addressed. You could always private message some of the more experienced members with your questions instead of turning the thread into your own personal vendetta against someone who told you something you didn't want to hear. This would get your question answered without publicizing the BS that accompanied it.

-G20

Thank for the input but, I dont care what you think I simply had a question. I never said that i was going to do it, and make the guys who are scared to look bad look bad so relax and enjoy im just trying to learn what i can and cant do!!!!!!!!!!!

Beretta92FSLady

theyre are 2 cases in washington that govern carrying long guns..
case 1st, cassad, a felon with guns and drugs,
stopped for carrying long guns, wrapped in a towel on his way to the pawn shop in port townsand.
he got out of the charge, because the cops did not have RAS to stop him, because, carrying guns does not in it self create RAS of of crime.
the mere presence of a firearm is Not RAS of a crime!!

the 2nd, spencer, a LAC, carrying a CCd 45, with a CPL,
was carrying a "visibly loaded" AK or AR, "at the ready", "head down", at a, time or place that
"warranted alarm for the safety of others" (9.41.270).
he was found guilty!

his long gun was NOT slung on his back!!

many people, in many states have made a habit of carrying long guns,
it is not illegal, as with hand guns, the method of carry is the KEY.

i have always contended that it is legal to sling a shot gun on your back and go to the bank
here in washington.
i get tired of anyone that says go ahead and try that, you can be the test case.

I am sure you are familiar with law. Typically when you are confronted with a legal question and you are looking for cases to compare it to, you use cases that are similar. The former case that you cite is not even remotely close to the situation the creator of this thread describes.

The latter, as I said, Spencer warranted alarm. Apparently that case is an example of what happens when you open carry a rifle.

Method of carry, considering the Spencer ruling, which is the only ruling out of the two you posted that is similar is an example of a distinction between rifle carry and handgun carry and how both are subject to different standards of what warrants alarm.

As I said, and I know you hate hearing or reading it...wait, I will quote Dave Workman, LOL, "Don't be a test case!"

Spencer was a test case and he lost. If the ruling was about his demeanor and the fact that he had his AK-47 with a magazine in it, that is enough right there to not carry a rifle unless you plan on losing.

Jgross:

I am not attacking you, I am more concerned than anything about the legal situation you would put yourself in by carrying a rifle openly, if that is what you chose to do. I could care less what people think or how they would respond to you exercising your right to carry. People are uncomfortable for many different reasons, this is not one you want them to be calling the police about IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.