• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

unincorporated towns in Montana

Aubb

I was told by a sheriff deputy that concealed carry in a unincorprated town in MOntana is legal
without a permit,can anyone shed some light on this?

Aubb

I know you can cc outside city limits without a permit.
So since a unincorpotared town has no city limits,you can concealed carry in town without a permit.

VAopencarry

MCA 45-8-317:

(i) a person who is outside the official boundaries of a city or town or the confines of a logging, lumbering, mining, or railroad camp or who is lawfully engaged in hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, hiking, backpacking, farming, ranching, or other outdoor activity in which weapons are often carried for recreation or protection; or...

40s-and-wfan

According to MCA

(i) a person who is outside the official boundaries of a city or town or the confines of a logging, lumbering, mining, or railroad camp or who is lawfully engaged in hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, hiking, backpacking, farming, ranching, or other outdoor activity in which weapons are often carried for recreation or protection;

Notice it says the official boundaries. There are no official boundaries of an unincorporated city or town.

According to a resource that I use quite often, Mr. C. Mark Fowler of the State Attorney General's office, a permit is not needed if you are outside the boundaries mentioned above. If you're OCing inside these places you don't need a permit but you do in order to CC.

Last edited:

MontanaFLHT

How does one go about ascertaining whether the town he is about to enter, is incorporated or not? Is the a public web site with that type of info?

MT GUNNY

Here is your list :)

A
Acton, Montana
Alzada, Montana
B
Babb, Montana
Belle Creek, Montana
Biddle, Montana
Boyd, Montana
Boyes, Montana
Brockway, Montana
Brusett, Montana
Buffalo, Montana
Bynum, Montana
C
Cameron, Montana
Carney, Montana
Cat Creek, Montana
Coffee Creek, Montana
Cohagen, Montana
Comertown, Montana
Condon, Montana
Craig, Montana
D
Dagmar, Montana
Del Bonita, Montana
Dell, Montana
E
Edgar, Montana
Emigrant, Montana
Essex, Montana
F
Fishtail, Montana
Flatwillow, Montana
Forest Grove, Montana
Fox, Montana
G
Garryowen, Montana
Glen, Montana
H
Hammond, Montana
H cont.
Haugan, Montana
Hilger, Montana
I
Ingomar, Montana
J
Jackson, Montana
Jardine, Montana
L
Lakeview, Montana
Laredo, Montana
Logan, Montana
Lolo Hot Springs, Montana
Luther, Montana
M
Martinsdale, Montana
Marysville, Montana
Maudlow, Montana
McLeod, Montana
Melville, Montana
Moccasin, Montana
Monarch, Montana
Mosby, Montana
Myers, Montana
N
Naismith, Montana
Norris, Montana
Nye, Montana
O
Olive, Montana
Oswego, Montana
Otter, Montana
P
Polaris, Montana
Polebridge, Montana
Pompey's Pillar, Montana
Pony, Montana
Powderville, Montana
Q
Quebec, Montana
R
Rapelje, Montana
R cont.
Raymond, Montana
Raynesford, Montana
Ringling, Montana
Riverside, Montana
Roy, Montana
S
Saltese, Montana
Sand Springs, Montana
Sanders, Montana
Saugus, Montana
Savage, Montana
Sonnette, Montana
Sourdough, Montana
St. Mary, Montana
Stryker, Montana
Sumatra, Montana
Sweet Grass, Montana
T
Tarkio, Montana
Teigen, Montana
Trego, Montana
Two Dot, Montana
V
Vandalia, Montana
Vida, Montana
Volborg, Montana
W
Wagner, Montana
West Glacier, Montana
Whitetail, Montana
Whitlash, Montana
Wise River, Montana
Wolf Creek, Montana
Y
Yates, Montana SORRY Darby is incorporated!

Last edited:

40s-and-wfan

C'mon Bro, of all the little towns in the state those are the only ones that are unincorporated?! There's gotta be more than just that! What about East Glacier, Kevin (Pronounced Keevin), Oilmont and other towns like that? Somers, Bigfork and so on. There are more in the state than just what that list shows.

40s-and-wfan

Hey FYI: I called the Flathead County Sheriff's Office the other day on this exact subject earlier in the week. The individual I talked to stated that in Flathead County, if you're outside the city limits of Columbia Falls, Kalispell or Whitefish it is legal to carry without a permit. Places like Somers, Bigfork, Lakeside, Coram, West Glacier and so on are not considered 'incorporated' and so it's legal to carry in those locale's without the necessity of a permit. But then again, if HB-271 passes we won't need to worry about city limits at all will we?!

markm

Hello MTGunny,

Does the word "person" in this law pertain to Kalifornia subjects?

(i) a person who is outside the official boundaries of a city or town or the confines of a logging, lumbering, mining, or railroad camp or who is lawfully engaged in hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, hiking, backpacking, farming, ranching, or other outdoor activity in which weapons are often carried for recreation or protection; or...

If it does, I am so ready to fly, drive, or walk to Montana. You guys are right-on!

markm

40s-and-wfan

I wouldn't trust Wikipedia as far as I could throw it. The site can be edited by anyone with a Wikipedia account and can be easily changed. I would much rather trust a Montana source, such as the Sheriff or a representative of his rather than a source like that.