Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silencer for your carry gun

Banned

Exclamation Silencer for your carry gun

There has got to be a few people out here that have a suppressor for their handgun.
    If you're involved in a self defense shooting a can is an essential safety precaution.

I don't see how a silencer can be deemed "essential." The firearm is essential. The ammunition is essential. The ability to use the firearm is essential. Anything else is less than essential.

Further, unless you were in your own home I would think that a DA in a criminal case or a defense attorney in a civil case might be able to convince a jury of a number of things that the user of a silencer would find inconvenient at best. That's their job and they are professionals. They could argue that ownership and indeed use of a silencer reveals that you're antisocial, spoiling for a fight, a would-be Rambo, etc.

Perhaps you might develop your thesis a bit...

Banned
    If the technology exists to protect my hearing and the hearing of others why not take advantage of it?

Can a person who shot another in self defense be held liable for damage to the hearing of bystanders? I say that the shooter can be held liable.

Would be nice, but impractical.

I can see where your coming from kwik (as i do in all your other posts), but don't you have to inform the ATF if you so much as lift it up to dust underneath it? WOuld be a hassle to let them know everytime you step out your door.
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

I think if one needs to defend against a potentially deadly threat, considerations such as possible hearing damage take a seat very far back in the bus.

From a tactical standpoint, the extra length and weight of a "silencer" and the consequent decrease in mobility of the firearm would more than negate any benefits of having one. I'll take a gun that I can draw and maneuver quickly over a quieter gun in any probable situation.

From a legal standpoint, given the stigma attached to those evil silencers in the minds of the American public, good luck getting a sympathetic jury if you happen to shoot another person with a silencer-equipped firearm. At least with your better hearing you'll be able to hear a pin drop in your jail cell!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    From a tactical standpoint, the extra length and weight of a "silencer" and the consequent decrease in mobility of the firearm would more than negate any benefits of having one. I'll take a gun that I can draw and maneuver quickly over a quieter gun in any probable situation.
    You can get cheap little aluminum cans. For example a poseidon for a g26, barrel, and the tax would be around $1200.

I'm thinking a QMF for my G36.
    Last edited by kwikrnu; 08-01-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Banned
    I think if one needs to defend against a potentially deadly threat, considerations such as possible hearing damage take a seat very far back in the bus.
    Hearingl oss doesn't get better.

So what if you're in your car with your family and a BG tries to confiscate the car. You're in fear for your life. Do you damage your children's hearing for the rest of their lives? Common sense would say no. Buy a silencer for the children's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    You can get cheap little aluminum cans. For example a poseidon for a g26, barrel, and the tax would be around $1200.

I'm thinking a QMF for my G36.
    You'd be better served spending $1200 on ammo and gaining shooting proficiency.

Thumbs up

The OP isn't really a question, but if it were, then yes you should get a silencer and put it on your carry gun.

IANAL and this is not advice.
    Last edited by buster81; 08-01-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Banned
    You'd be better served spending $1200 on ammo and gaining shooting proficiency.
    The gun was included in the $1200 figure.
    $500 gun
    $150 barrel
    $200 stamp
    $350 can
    Shooting proficiency doesn't save hearing.

Shooting proficiency doesn't save hearing.
    Right. It saves lives. Dead people don't hear very well.

Banned
    Right. It saves lives. Dead people don't hear very well.
    Your argument is that only proficient shooters should have a suppressor?

What if the carry weapon was a p22? Ammo is extremely cheap. At what point could one purchase a silencer?
    Last edited by kwikrnu; 08-01-2010 at 05:11 PM.

There has got to be a few people out here that have a suppressor for their handgun.
    If you're involved in a self defense shooting a can is an essential safety precaution.

just found this for your state...
    Code Section 39-17-1301, et seq.

Illegal Arms. Machine gun; short-barreled rifle or shotgun; silencer; explosive weapon; device designed, made or adapted for delivering or shooting an explosive weapon
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

Suppressors are illegal, here in Michigan. I would love to get my hands on one...

I am somewhat surprised more criminals don't use them... although, no one sees anywhere here I live so what's the point.

Anyways, I would not carry a suppressor because of the length - I see it being cumbersome and in the way. Too many negatives and not near enough positives.

*Oh, on second thought - that would be ideal in a closed environment! Have you ever not had your ears on a the indoor range? Ouch!
    Springfield XD40 5" ::: Kahr P45 ::: Kimber Raptor II Pro w/steel MSH, Crimson Laser Next: M4 carbine ::: Next: custom 5" 1911 from Ed Brown

If this is correct then having a surpressor is a mute ( ok moot like mine better lol ) point. but who knows.
    Last edited by KRM59; 08-01-2010 at 05:20 PM.
    - George Mason

LMAO - you mean moot
    Springfield XD40 5" ::: Kahr P45 ::: Kimber Raptor II Pro w/steel MSH, Crimson Laser Next: M4 carbine ::: Next: custom 5" 1911 from Ed Brown

Quote Originally Posted by erb View Post
    LMAO - you mean moot
    yeah that to.... lmao. i would be lost if it wasn't for the (speel ) ha ha ha check posters.
    Last edited by KRM59; 08-01-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    - George Mason

McX
    i'd sure like to know the poop on these silencers. permit? from the fed? only good for one gun? how long is it valid? hard to get?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KRM59 View Post
    just found this for your state...
    Code Section 39-17-1301, et seq.

Illegal Arms. Machine gun; short-barreled rifle or shotgun; silencer; explosive weapon; device designed, made or adapted for delivering or shooting an explosive weapon
    39-17-1302(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person's conduct:
    (7) Involved acquisition or possession of a sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun or firearm silencer that is validly registered to the person under federal law in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Records. A person who acquires or possesses a firearm registered as required by this subdivision (b)(7) shall retain proof of registration;

Your argument is that only proficient shooters should have a suppressor?

What if the carry weapon was a p22? Ammo is extremely cheap. At what point could one purchase a silencer?
    My point is get a suppressor if you want, whatever your level of proficiency. It adds nothing to your chances of survival, and may decrease those chances by putting a more unwieldy firearm in your hands which will be more difficult to draw, slower to move in general, and easier for a bad guy to take out of your hands. Plus it will not help you in court where the prosecutor, judge and jury will probably not be impressed by your lawyer stating "My client was only being considerate of other people's hearing!" I value my hearing, but in the larger scheme of things I value my life, freedom and ability to prevail in a gunfight more. If you put hearing higher up on that list, then by all means get a suppressor and have fun.

In most cases, a suppressor is not practical. It would add weight and bulk to the firearm. It would make the firearm harder to deploy in an emergency situation. I can't recall seeing many holsters designed to carry a handgun with a suppressor on it.

I would love to have one for target shooting on the range and bench shooting, but a suppressor also affects accuracy of the shot.

McX
    but if your dealing with end of the world zombies, you'll want to keep your hearing so you can hear them a sneaking up! plus a loud shot would attract more.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i'd sure like to know the poop on these silencers. permit? from the fed? only good for one gun? how long is it valid? hard to get?
    It depends upon the State. You have to buy the suppressor at a class III dealer, fill out an application, do a trust or have finger prints taken and attach pictures and have the sheriff or authorized person sign off. Then you send $200 with that application to the ATF. The ATF takes about 3-6 months to approve. Then they send the paperwork to the dealer you bought the suppressor from and you pick it up.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    but if your dealing with end of the world zombies, you'll want to keep your hearing so you can hear them a sneaking up! plus a loud shot would attract more.
    You have more experience in the world of zombies than I do, so I will defer to your expertise in that realm!

Racine = World of Zombies
    Madison = more of, um, idiots.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast