• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silencer for your carry gun

kwikrnu

Banned
just found this for your state...
Code Section 39-17-1301, et seq.

Illegal Arms. Machine gun; short-barreled rifle or shotgun; silencer; explosive weapon; device designed, made or adapted for delivering or shooting an explosive weapon

39-17-1302(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person's conduct:
(7) Involved acquisition or possession of a sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun or firearm silencer that is validly registered to the person under federal law in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Records. A person who acquires or possesses a firearm registered as required by this subdivision (b)(7) shall retain proof of registration;

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Your argument is that only proficient shooters should have a suppressor?

What if the carry weapon was a p22? Ammo is extremely cheap. At what point could one purchase a silencer?

My point is get a suppressor if you want, whatever your level of proficiency. It adds nothing to your chances of survival, and may decrease those chances by putting a more unwieldy firearm in your hands which will be more difficult to draw, slower to move in general, and easier for a bad guy to take out of your hands. Plus it will not help you in court where the prosecutor, judge and jury will probably not be impressed by your lawyer stating "My client was only being considerate of other people's hearing!" I value my hearing, but in the larger scheme of things I value my life, freedom and ability to prevail in a gunfight more. If you put hearing higher up on that list, then by all means get a suppressor and have fun.

flb_78

In most cases, a suppressor is not practical. It would add weight and bulk to the firearm. It would make the firearm harder to deploy in an emergency situation. I can't recall seeing many holsters designed to carry a handgun with a suppressor on it.

I would love to have one for target shooting on the range and bench shooting, but a suppressor also affects accuracy of the shot.

M

McX

but if your dealing with end of the world zombies, you'll want to keep your hearing so you can hear them a sneaking up! plus a loud shot would attract more.

kwikrnu

Banned
i'd sure like to know the poop on these silencers. permit? from the fed? only good for one gun? how long is it valid? hard to get?
It depends upon the State. You have to buy the suppressor at a class III dealer, fill out an application, do a trust or have finger prints taken and attach pictures and have the sheriff or authorized person sign off. Then you send $200 with that application to the ATF. The ATF takes about 3-6 months to approve. Then they send the paperwork to the dealer you bought the suppressor from and you pick it up.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
but if your dealing with end of the world zombies, you'll want to keep your hearing so you can hear them a sneaking up! plus a loud shot would attract more.

You have more experience in the world of zombies than I do, so I will defer to your expertise in that realm!

Racine = World of Zombies
Madison = more of, um, idiots.

M

McX

very true shotgun, i see the walking dead around the shop every day. but to truly get down to the subject, we need to get glock in here!

M

McX

with mimes don't you just drop an invisible box over them, and walk away?

Dreamer

They could argue that ownership and indeed use of a silencer reveals that you're antisocial, spoiling for a fight, a would-be Rambo, etc.

In England and Finland, where you can buy suppressors over-the-counter without any more hassle than buying ammo, Suppressors are considered to be "safety equipment", and are considered to be VERY socially responsible. People who shoot varmints on their farms use suppressors so they don't disturb their neighbors. It's considered the "gentlemanly thing to do" over there...

Suppressors were given a bad name in the US by Hollywood. There haven't been many silencers used by criminals at all since Prohibition. They just aren't practical for the modern "gangbanger"...

VFORVENDETTA

It depends upon the State. You have to buy the suppressor at a class III dealer, fill out an application, do a trust or have finger prints taken and attach pictures and have the sheriff or authorized person sign off. Then you send $200 with that application to the ATF. The ATF takes about 3-6 months to approve. Then they send the paperwork to the dealer you bought the suppressor from and you pick it up.
Insanity! Will holding a pillow over it work also?

zoom6zoom

I can see where your coming from kwik (as i do in all your other posts), but don't you have to inform the ATF if you so much as lift it up to dust underneath it? WOuld be a hassle to let them know everytime you step out your door.

Unlike other NFA goodies, you don't have to file a form with ATF to let them know you are taking a silencer across state lines. Even with machine guns, it's only interstate transportation that needs to be notified, and if you word your form correctly it will cover you for multiple occurrences.

Cite: http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2008/08/how-to-move-or-travel-with-an.html

Last edited:

Ruger .454

If flash suppression is the concern, it's easy. I have a Wolf match grade barrel on my Glock and got it a half-inch longer than normal, threaded, and with a flash suppressor. It wasn't at all expensive.

If hearing protection is the concern, then the concern is specious. If a noise suppressor is what you desire then get one, but please don't fool yourself or try to fool us with excuses. Be advised that if a shooting occurs, no DA would fall for that preposterous excuse and no jury would either. There's no smart reason to intentionally put yourself at the mercy of a jury that you've arranged to prejudice against yourself.

kwikrnu

Banned
If hearing protection is the concern, then the concern is specious. If a noise suppressor is what you desire then get one, but please don't fool yourself or try to fool us with excuses. Be advised that if a shooting occurs, no DA would fall for that preposterous excuse and no jury would either. There's no smart reason to intentionally put yourself at the mercy of a jury that you've arranged to prejudice against yourself.

My hearing isn't specious.

You're saying someone who shoots another in self-defense would be convicted simply for the use of a suppressor? Are you of the belief that custom ammo or home loads equal convictions?

RussP

In England and Finland, where you can buy suppressors over-the-counter without any more hassle than buying ammo, Suppressors are considered to be "safety equipment", and are considered to be VERY socially responsible. People who shoot varmints on their farms use suppressors so they don't disturb their neighbors. It's considered the "gentlemanly thing to do" over there...
valuable information, thanks dreamer!
Suppressors were given a bad name in the US by Hollywood...
And that's what makes them attractive to certain people, not many, but some.

wrightme

I think if one needs to defend against a potentially deadly threat, considerations such as possible hearing damage take a seat very far back in the bus.

From a tactical standpoint, the extra length and weight of a "silencer" and the consequent decrease in mobility of the firearm would more than negate any benefits of having one. I'll take a gun that I can draw and maneuver quickly over a quieter gun in any probable situation.

From a legal standpoint, given the stigma attached to those evil silencers in the minds of the American public, good luck getting a sympathetic jury if you happen to shoot another person with a silencer-equipped firearm. At least with your better hearing you'll be able to hear a pin drop in your jail cell!
It's a TRAP! Leave it.