• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Registration issues!

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

I live in ca and am going to be registering my dads handgun in my name. Problem is he never registered it! He has owned it for either 10 or 15 years. How do i go about registering it?

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Last edited:

bigtoe416

Aso the form is confusing. Do I put my name in the owner information section or my dad's?

You put who owns it. Your initial post said you were going to register it in your name. Does that mean you own it? If so, put your name. If your dad owns it, then I believe he should be the one registering it.

I also don't think you need to register a handgun to open carry it. There is just some penalties that get tacked on if you commit a crime while in possession of an unregistered handgun.

wewd

If the gun will belong to you, then you are the owner, and your name goes there. Your dad's name goes in the "Acquired from:" box, and in "How possession was obtained:", you should put "Gift from father". It's as simple as that. As soon as you send it off with the check, it's yours. Enjoy it.

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

FU** YA I AM SO HAPPY!!!!! Thanks guys I am so freakin happy! Awesome totally awesome. Paperwork and $19 fee sent tomorrow.

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

I am in Wildomar. So to those that have done an inner family transfer recently, how long did it take. I just called 5 min ago and they say they are back logged. Back logged? Sheesh. I want to carry this gun. It hasn't been registered and I am worried about walking around with it still not in my name. Don't want LEO to take it. Or can I carry it now that the paperwork is sent? Or do I have to wait?

wewd

Do you have the HSC? That's all you need to "borrow" the gun from your parent.

heliopolissolutions

I can't think of any particularly good reason why you would let a police officer know your name at any point.

Don't carry ID when carrying a gun, its not unlawful for you to carry a firearm that is not registered to your name.

Voice recorder, always.
Keep your mouth shut, the only thing you've got to say is 'Am I being detained?' and 'I consent to no searches.'
Sterile carry, leave the ID in the car.
Stay frosty.

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

I have an HSC. My dad never registered it. He got it 15 years ago from a guy he did work for and that guy got it from a guy he did work for. So it was last registered 20+ years ago if at all. So it not being registered is that an issue? I have a voice recorder. I dont carry I.D. And if a officer runs the S.# and it comes back not registered to my dad or anyone will I get in trouble/breaking a law?

Last edited:

Gundude

I have an HSC. My dad never registered it. He got it 15 years ago from a guy he did work for and that guy got it from a guy he did work for. So it was last registered 20+ years ago if at all. So it not being registered is that an issue? I have a voice recorder. I dont carry I.D. And if a officer runs the S.# and it comes back not registered to my dad or anyone will I get in trouble/breaking a law?

If it was registered 20+ yrs ago, it prolly isn't even in the sustem. (system)

Last edited:

mjones

I'm trying to think of all the penalties for being in possession of a firearm not registered to you.

Unlicensed CCW of a firearm mandates a felony first offense (ordinarily a misdemeanor) This should be in PC12025 somewhere.

I think its a misdemeanor to import a handgun into CA and not register it within 60 days. But there is also a clause that says if the way they found out you didn't register it is by registering you are then exempted.

It *might* also be a sentence mandate if you are a 'known gangmember'

This one is a stretch...
It's illegal to loan a firearm to someone unless the recipient has an HSC. So; a Firearm is owned & registered to Bob. Bob loans it to Frank. Frank somehow gets in a situation where a LEO runs the gun and finds that its registered to Bob. Nothing seems hinky to the LEO so he lets you go after he runs you for wants/warrants. Someone kicks up his report to the DA who finds out that Frank doesn't have an HSC and busts Bob for loaning the firearm...

I'll try to add PC sections later, I don't have time at the moment.

For what its worth, I regularly carry handguns that aren't registered at all as they were purchased prior to 1991 when registration began in CA for handguns.

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

that makes no sense to me jones. I have an HSC. Father is honorably discharged. Paperwork on way to DOJ. Gun hasnt been registered in 15-20+ YEARS. Can I carry now or do I have to wait for the paperwork to return?

mjones

that makes no sense to me jones. I have an HSC. Father is honorably discharged. Paperwork on way to DOJ. Gun hasnt been registered in 15-20+ YEARS. Can I carry now or do I have to wait for the paperwork to return?

Easy there Tex...If you can't answer the question for yourself AND answer precisely WHY or WHY NOT it would be a problem...you are not ready to OC yet.

Patience grass hopper, we are providing you the tools to make you stronger!

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

I just want to know if I can carry it without it being registered. I can not find anything online regarding this. All i want to know is do I have to wait for the paperwork to come back saying it is registered to me, to carry or can i carry now? Why I want to know is because I want no issues with the LEO if I get my 2nd and 4th rights taken from me.

bigtoe416

I just want to know if I can carry it without it being registered.

I think what mjones is saying is that if you can't cite the laws which will keep your nose clean if an officer starts talking about how you're in violation of X and Y then maybe you should take some time and hang around on the forums a bit more. I've read a lot of stuff on the internet that has turned out to be very untrue. Who knows, maybe we're supplying some of that very untrue information.

Having said that, go ahead and carry if you don't fall under any of mjones laws that he mentioned above. Just remember that we're just random people on the internet, we should not be trusted.

Gundude

No one wants the responsibility of telling you you can carry. I suggest you wait for the paperwork to work it way through the system.
If you do something wrong and get busted, its a long wait till you can own a gun again. Like the man said...."patience grasshopper"

Last edited: