Thread: Winter preparedness!

Winter preparedness!

I have looked for winter time posts but not been able to find anything to answer my questions. Winter is coming and it will be the first winter i OC. I was wondering if you are wearing a big jacket/sweatshirt that is long how would you ensure that your firearm is visible? Tuck it behind the grip or strap it over the jacket? If you strap it over the jacket that posses a problem when going into a warm area and wanting to take the jacket off. Please post up pics of how you open carry in the cold wearing a jacket or sweatshirt. Also since others will be wearing heavier clothing do you up the round to a "hot load" so that if you have a BG posing a threat to you you can ensure it will go through the clothing? Any ideas on both will be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by JUMPOFFBRIDGE89 View Post
    I have looked for winter time posts but not been able to find anything to answer my questions. Winter is coming and it will be the first winter i OC. I was wondering if you are wearing a big jacket/sweatshirt that is long how would you ensure that your firearm is visible? Tuck it behind the grip or strap it over the jacket? If you strap it over the jacket that posses a problem when going into a warm area and wanting to take the jacket off. Please post up pics of how you open carry in the cold wearing a jacket or sweatshirt. Also since others will be wearing heavier clothing do you up the round to a "hot load" so that if you have a BG posing a threat to you you can ensure it will go through the clothing? Any ideas on both will be greatly appreciated!
    Open carriers should have a variety of carry options. Winter or cold weather presents a bit of a problem as bundling up could accidentally conceal the weapon. If you do not have a licence to conceal, covering up, even if accidental would be illegal.

The answer to this is to have a winter option like a drop leg holster. This is a rig that straps to your thigh and lowers the weapon enough below the waist line that a jacket will not drape over it. Another option would be to carry a holster on a shoulder strap or a sling.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Winter?
    What is this winter you speak of?

drop leg. god i am stupid sometimes. Thanks

Also, check the anti freeze in your vehicles.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    Really like your use of the signature line - very effective.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Yeah, leg drop is the way to go. Faster draw, and better OC promotion anyhow. Easier to draw while sitting as well.

I just wear a snug fitting waist length jacket. Herein the Delta it's about all I need.