• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sick Cat Postpones my Visit

gravedigger

Well, one of my mom's cats seems to be nearing the end of it's life, so our August 4th trip to Kentucky has been postponed. Without going into detail, she would not be able to handle the death of her cat while she was away on vacation, so .. we're going to start an aggressive treatment program (3 to 6 months) to see if we can either cure or stabilize the cat, or face putting it to sleep. So much for experiencing the hot, sticky, bugs-in-your-face Kentucky summer!

gravedigger

I know this is not "OC" related, but I am looking for input from my 2nd amendment friends on this matter!

Well, Sugar is now in a little wooden box, and we are once again approaching the start of another visit to Kentucky and Tennessee. We will fly into BNA Nashville on Sept. 8th, and tour the states for two weeks. We're going farther east this time up to Elizabethtown, over to Lexington (via Indianapolis to visit an uncle, returning through Cincinnati) then down to Knoxville, TN and across to Nashville again.

Any suggestions for where to spend more time?

We're not there as tourists. we are looking for a place to settle, to purchase two homes and to start a business.

On our last visit, we were based in Bowling Green, and did "clover leaf" loops west, north and east, to the neighboring communities, returning to BG each night. This time we're going to "wing it" and find hotel rooms each day along the route.

We sort of liked Franklin, KY. Now we want to check out more of the two states.

Is there any place we should AVOID? I don't want to drive into some ghetto while running out of gas!

I'll check back often!

Last edited:

neuroblades

Well, one of my mom's cats seems to be nearing the end of it's life, so our August 4th trip to Kentucky has been postponed. Without going into detail, she would not be able to handle the death of her cat while she was away on vacation, so .. we're going to start an aggressive treatment program (3 to 6 months) to see if we can either cure or stabilize the cat, or face putting it to sleep. So much for experiencing the hot, sticky, bugs-in-your-face Kentucky summer!

Actually, the bugs haven't been of any real problems this hot summer, other than maybe the wasps, yellow jackets, hornets, and gnats. *LOL* I think the rest of the insect world decided to just phone this one in because it's been too hot out. *LOL*

neuroblades

I have to agree, Louisville & Lexington are 2 of the larger cities in central Ky. As you go east of them, you will be traveling into smaller towns and cities. Most of people in the smaller areas are very nice and easy to get along with.

Depending upon what exactly you're looking for I'd suggest checking out Ashland, borders the state of WV and is actually just a few miles away from the city of Huntington, WV, a equally nice place but a different state. I'd suggest my hometown of Paintsville as well if you're journeying through the true eastern regions of Ky. Paintsville is a smaller town than some, bigger than others. People are relatively laidback and easy going. There are new homes being built locally by developer's currently in the outer regions of Paintsville and especially out in the county. As I always used to say, "We're about 10 years behind Florida". *LOL* Let's just hope that that's no indication of how our OC laws are going though. *LOL* Pikeville is considered the largest "town" in Eastern Ky. and one of the richest per capita in the nation! The actually town of Pikeville proper though is somewhat disappointing. It is very small and retro to most other towns in this region but the money in the county is what keeps it in high standing. Very nice homes and houses are all around on the outer limits of Pike County.

Last edited:

KYKevin

I live in western ky. Owensboro to be exact. OC wise you will be ok here. Low crime area. Pretty friendly city. Now for the bad news. BORING! nothing here to do. Nothing to see. In may we have the bbq festival and that is about it. I always enjoy the lexington area (outside of the city) driving around the horse farms. very pretty area.