• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry identification

Ex cop

Newbie here. Please don't fault me for getting the hell out of Kalifornia (I left 3 months ago for NM where anyone can open carry with no problems). Anyway, the other day I was thinking about the Brady lady that was holding up a sign in Starbucks. She told the news, "How am I supposed to know whether these people that open carry are criminals or not?" Well, the next time there is a open carry meeting, why don't we all show up in raid shirts or raid jackets that say GOODGUY on the back? We should just all make our own. That way the public and the police all know who we are. I haven't seen any decent pre-made jackets yet, but I did see that XS sight systems is selling a t-shirt just for this reason. That could be like the Open Carry uniform or something. Just check out the XS website.

DreQo

State Researcher
Great idea. While you're at it, get some matching badges, hats, and drive an auctioned off crown vic. Then you'd be really tacticool!

One of the main points of this open carry moment is to communicate the idea that carrying a firearm is NORMAL and that the people that do it are NORMAL. Wearing a uniform to set you apart from everyone else is not only unusual, but it also implies that you essentially agree with the anti's.

Wear your gun, be yourself, mind your own business. No more, no less.

Ex cop

Great idea. While you're at it, get some matching badges, hats, and drive an auctioned off crown vic. Then you'd be really tacticool!

One of the main points of this open carry moment is to communicate the idea that carrying a firearm is NORMAL and that the people that do it are NORMAL. Wearing a uniform to set you apart from everyone else is not only unusual, but it also implies that you essentially agree with the anti's.

Wow, too much caffeine. Not the direction I was going at all. "Uniform" can mean something to associate. It doesn't have to mean paramilitary commando uniform. Take a deep breath.

Jack House

You're reading too much into his suggestion, which seems to be a really tongue-in-cheek way of mocking the antis. It's pretty funny IMO and nothing at all wrong with wearing a shirt that says "GOOD GUY" while at an OC meet. Think of it like going to a concert and wearing a band shirt.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Newbie here. Please don't fault me for getting the hell out of Kalifornia (I left 3 months ago for NM where anyone can open carry with no problems). Anyway, the other day I was thinking about the Brady lady that was holding up a sign in Starbucks. She told the news, "How am I supposed to know whether these people that open carry are criminals or not?" Well, the next time there is a open carry meeting, why don't we all show up in raid shirts or raid jackets that say GOODGUY on the back? We should just all make our own. That way the public and the police all know who we are. I haven't seen any decent pre-made jackets yet, but I did see that XS sight systems is selling a t-shirt just for this reason. That could be like the Open Carry uniform or something. Just check out the XS website.

I've heard that question from LEO's too... and my answer is the same to all who ask it...

"Until they do something illegal it is none of your business if someone has a gun."

Last edited by a moderator:

paramedic70002

I am seeing a black jacket or T shirt with "NORMAL" plastered across the front and back.

I actually have seen an "INNOCENT BYSTANDER" T shirt.

Attachments

• NORMAL2.jpg
    NORMAL2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 89

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ex Cop ???

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/member.php?55083-Ex-cop
A screen name like Ex cop would seem to suggest either a former LEO or a wannabe.

An officer would/should know that what is written on a T-shirt means nothing! How many times have you seen T-shirts emblazoned with FBI, ICE, Homeland Security etc, etc.

If the OP is really making an attempt to be sarcastically funny, it is incumbent upon him to so indicate. I laughed , but not for the reasons some might think. I'll reserve comment on that ........for now.

Ex cop

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/member.php?55083-Ex-cop
A screen name like Ex cop would seem to suggest either a former LEO or a wannabe.

An officer would/should know that what is written on a T-shirt means nothing! How many times have you seen T-shirts emblazoned with FBI, ICE, Homeland Security etc, etc.

If the OP is really making an attempt to be sarcastically funny, it is incumbent upon him to so indicate. I laughed , but not for the reasons some might think. I'll reserve comment on that ........for now.

Actually, having GOODGUY on the back of your shirt means just as much as having "Gun Free Zone" posted at the front door of your business. The liberals say so. So lets accommodate them so they have one less thing to complain about ;-)

And no, I'm not a wannabe. I'm a hasbeen.

Ruger .454

You are responding to specious and dishonest question. The Brady lady really doesn't want an answer to her 'question.' It's rhetoric, stated in the form of a question. That's what makes it dishonest.

What makes is specious is that the room could have been filled with CC people, either law abiding citizens with permits or felony gang bangers, and she would have never known and wouldn't have had her preposterous sign.

If you feel highly motivated about ID, photocopy your CC permit, have it laminated, and wear it around your neck. But then you'd be playing into her hands.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Actually, having GOODGUY on the back of your shirt means just as much as having "Gun Free Zone" posted at the front door of your business. The liberals say so. So lets accommodate them so they have one less thing to complain about ;-)

And no, I'm not a wannabe. I'm a hasbeen.

Guess most of us here "hasbeen" this or that so you should be in good company - welcome aboard.

GFZ (gun free zone) - never have gotten a charge out any one of them. They're self-defeating.

T-shirts with messages, even good ones, just aren't my style. There are those that like them though. If you really are endorsing the matching T-shirt thing, outfit all of your family and relatives and I'm sure we can get somebody to take the pictures when the clan gathers

OCing as we go about our normal daily lives is the mantra here - just normal people being responsible. No arguments on the side of the road, no in-your-face attitude, but rather a pleasant demeanor with a good solid knowledge of the applicable statutes has proven to effective.

Ex cop

Guess most of us here "hasbeen" this or that so you should be in good company - welcome aboard.

GFZ (gun free zone) - never have gotten a charge out any one of them. They're self-defeating.

T-shirts with messages, even good ones, just aren't my style. There are those that like them though. If you really are endorsing the matching T-shirt thing, outfit all of your family and relatives and I'm sure we can get somebody to take the pictures when the clan gathers

OCing as we go about our normal daily lives is the mantra here - just normal people being responsible. No arguments on the side of the road, no in-your-face attitude, but rather a pleasant demeanor with a good solid knowledge of the applicable statutes has proven to effective.

I used to think the same way. However, Chuck Schumer, Diane Fienstien, Barbara Boxes, Richard Daley, etc., are in full scale attack with their own weapons blazing operating with complete disregard to Title 18 United States Code section 241. We have to do more than have lunch or we'll be trampled to death. "All that takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing". - some attribute this to Edmund Burke, the father of conservatism.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I happen to be one of those that think we are winning - see the cup as more than 1/2 full and filling rather than 1/2 empty and draining.

Still vigilance is the eternal price we must pay.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Still vigilance is the eternal price we must pay.

I'm in favor of still vigilance, also. Moving-around vigilance is too tiresome.

No. No. Wait.

Still vigilance is important because revenooers might find the darn still. And, then what would we drink for recreation?

:D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm in favor of still vigilance, also. Moving-around vigilance is too tiresome.

No. No. Wait.

Still vigilance is important because revenooers might find the darn still. And, then what would we drink for recreation?

:D

Mmmm...

cash50

You should tell the news that you don't know whether or not this lady is a criminal...

But if she really wants to know she can try public records checks, instead of dumb whining.

frommycolddeadhands

I dunno, personally I don't think I'd ever wear a 'good guy' t-shirt out in public. It's a cute idea, but I don't think most people would get the joke. As far as the lady asking "how do I know that person isn't a criminal?" she might as well be asking how she knows that anyone walking down the street isn't a serial killer. Welcome to the real world where the good guys don't wear capes and the bad guys blend in with the crowd.

VFORVENDETTA

I dunno, personally I don't think I'd ever wear a 'good guy' t-shirt out in public. It's a cute idea, but I don't think most people would get the joke. As far as the lady asking "how do I know that person isn't a criminal?" she might as well be asking how she knows that anyone walking down the street isn't a serial killer. Welcome to the real world where the good guys don't wear capes and the bad guys blend in with the crowd.

I do wear my "V" costume in public sometimes.