• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on where to store magazines in vehicle...

Genken

So I understand until I get my CPL, I have to clear my pistol before I get into the car...but can I keep the magazines in my mag pouches on my belt while driving, or do I need them in the "trunk" area of my car(a Kia Rondo, with no actual "Trunk" per se).

To be safe until I get a solid answer, I will keep them in the tailgate area, but I would prefer to keep them closer if legally possible.

I appreciate any help.

Bersa.380

So I understand until I get my CPL, I have to clear my pistol before I get into the car...but can I keep the magazines in my mag pouches on my belt while driving, or do I need them in the "trunk" area of my car(a Kia Rondo, with no actual "Trunk" per se).

To be safe until I get a solid answer, I will keep them in the tailgate area, but I would prefer to keep them closer if legally possible.

I appreciate any help.

This has been asked before ......
I'm sure someone with the right answer will chime in, don't forget to clear the round from the chamber !!!!!!!
Don't forget to check out the "Sticky" which is a permanent post called "Washington Gun Rights Pamphlet" you might find your answer there.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Duck taped to your forehead!

I think that was the consensus of the last thread on the subject :lol:

Naw, it actually doesn't matter. The weapon only needs to be unloaded, meaning no magazine, no round in chamber. Where those two things are at the time doesn't matter, as long as they are not in the gun.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
I think that was the consensus of the last thread on the subject :lol:

Naw, it actually doesn't matter. The weapon only needs to be unloaded, meaning no magazine, no round in chamber. Where those two things are at the time doesn't matter, as long as they are not in the gun.

Metalhead just beat me to it, only I prefer gaffer's tape - leaves less adhesive residue on my forehead.

But he got the rest of the answer right.

Genken

I appreciate it. Like mike253, I was under the impression that it couldn't be easily accessible as well.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Welcome!

Welcome a couple of you to the forum.

There is no RCW that states how to carry an unloaded pistol in your vehicle, only that it be unloaded. Unloaded meaning no round in the cylinder and no loaded magazine in the grip of a semi auto.

Therefore in a semi, you could remove the round from the chamber and remove the magazine from the grip. Duck tape the magazine to the outsied of the grip and Duck tape both of them to your forehead and you would be legal.

You many NOT conceal the unloaded pistol anywhere on your person.

View attachment 3456

Really? I was always under the impression that your ammunition couldn't be within an easily accessible distance

Last edited:

Genken

Ok, got it. So I should also put the pistol somewhere off of me unloaded if it is covered by my seatbelt(thus concealed on me). Proper train of thought on that, yes?

ShooterMcGavin

Ok, got it. So I should also put the pistol somewhere off of me unloaded if it is covered by my seatbelt(thus concealed on me). Proper train of thought on that, yes?
Seriously? The seatbelt would be considered concealment? Even if the seatbelt cannot cover the entire grip of the gun?

I thought the issue was "no concealing clothing over the gun", so it wouldn't be concealed if asked to step out of the car. If the gun is not concealed by the seatbelt or clothing, with the gun on your right hip, the gun is still being concealed from an officer on your left side by your entire body.

Genken

Seriously? The seatbelt would be considered concealment? Even if the seatbelt cannot cover the entire grip of the gun?

I thought the issue was "no concealing clothing over the gun", so it wouldn't be concealed if asked to step out of the car. If the gun is not concealed by the seatbelt or clothing, with the gun on your right hip, the gun is still being concealed from an officer on your left side by your entire body.

Yes. That's why I can't use my IWB holster. The whole gun and holster has to be in plain view. Anything that can conceal it can make it a bad day. Better safe than sorry.

As for the body concealing it, not sure how that works exactly, but I would think that they would take into account that we aren't the invisible man.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Not quite guys. The RCWs don't define "concealed," there was a big thread on this a while back as to just what did constitute "concealed." Since it's not clearly defined by law, and there's been no test cases, it'd be up to the cop at the time & the DA down the road as to whether you would end up charged for having a seatbelt across the gun.

Beretta92FSLady

FWIU you can use a IWB and it not be considered CC as long as when a reasonable person observes what is exposed is a handgun.

Officer: They were CC without a permit

Lawyer: How did you know they were CC a handgun?

Officer: I could see it.

Lawyer: You could see what.

Officer: I could see the grip of the handgun.

You are only CC'ing if the handgun is covered in such a way that the officcer is unable to determine it is a handgun. It is about evidence, proof that you are CC. An officer can not say you are CC'ing if he see that you are carrying a handgun by the grip that is sticking out of your pants.

I could be wrong, Gray or someone on here will correct me if I am, I am sure of it LOL.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

There is no definition of what concealed would entail. Therefore the reasonable man doctrine would be your guide.

Not quite guys. The RCWs don't define "concealed," there was a big thread on this a while back as to just what did constitute "concealed." Since it's not clearly defined by law, and there's been no test cases, it'd be up to the cop at the time & the DA down the road as to whether you would end up charged for having a seatbelt across the gun.

Correct.

ShooterMcGavin

Yes. That's why I can't use my IWB holster. The whole gun and holster has to be in plain view. Anything that can conceal it can make it a bad day. Better safe than sorry.
Ok, a new question with this part...
I always considered that, if I am carrying in an IWB holster and I tuck my shirt behind the grip of the gun (so it is visible), I would be open carrying. You are saying that, in that condition, within a car, you are considered to be concealed because the holster is not visible?!?

Isn't it great how they take law abiding citizens and turn them into criminals through these complicated laws that serve no purpose!!!

ETA: I was typing when you guys responded. No need to explain it further. However, my last point above still stands!!!

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Ok, a new question with this part...
I always considered that, if I am carrying in an IWB holster and I tuck my shirt behind the grip of the gun (so it is visible), I would be open carrying. You are saying that, in that condition, within a car, you are considered to be concealed because the holster is not visible?!?

Isn't it great how they take law abiding citizens and turn them into criminals through these complicated laws that serve no purpose!!!

ETA: I was typing when you guys responded. No need to explain it further. However, my last point above still stands!!!

The issue here is you are not allowed to carry a loaded sidearm in your vehicle without a permit.

TheJeepster

The issue here is you are not allowed to carry a loaded sidearm in your vehicle without a permit.

Except in regards to outdoor recreational activities as stated in: RCW 9.41.060 - Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:......

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

This means you can carry just like you have a CPL without having one as long as you are traveling to and from; while participating in outdoor activities. This means loaded in the vehicle is perfectly fine as defined by the law.

And please remember that just because its the law doesn't mean all LEOs know the law or will interpret the law correctly.

Beretta92FSLady

Except in regards to outdoor recreational activities as stated in: RCW 9.41.060 - Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:......

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

This means you can carry just like you have a CPL without having one as long as you are traveling to and from; while participating in outdoor activities. This means loaded in the vehicle is perfectly fine as defined by the law.

And please remember that just because its the law doesn't mean all LEOs know the law or will interpret the law correctly.

This thread is about everyday carry, not going hunting or fishing; those types of outdoor activities.

Second, you are throwing a huge gray area out there, then stating that not all LEO's know this RCW or that they will interpret it correctly. Try being more specific when you are talking about a gray area that this RCW can create for the carrier.

-What constitutes coming and going? You drive to the activity armed (legal). You leave the activity, drive to McDonalds, then drive home, (?). How would the officer know that you left an outdoor activity, he just seen you at Mcdonalds, he pulls you over as you pull out of McDonalds because you make a left out of a right only, he realizes you are armed and asks for your Permit to carry because you are driving with a loaded handgun in your vehicle.

-can you articulate, prove how you were coming or going?

-If the officer does not know this RCW, are you prepared to bring it to his attention?

-The officer could cite you and make you explain yourself to a judge.

To save yourself the pain in the butt gray area this RCW inherently creates, load your sidearm when you get to your destination, and unload when you leave. Yes, you are protected but the protection is not fully clear. There are so many variable that can cause you legal issues.

Metalhead47

This thread is about everyday carry, not going hunting or fishing; those types of outdoor activities.

Second, you are throwing a huge gray area out there, then stating that not all LEO's know this RCW or that they will interpret it correctly. Try being more specific when you are talking about a gray area that this RCW can create for the carrier.

-What constitutes coming and going? You drive to the activity armed (legal). You leave the activity, drive to McDonalds, then drive home, (?). How would the officer know that you left an outdoor activity, he just seen you at Mcdonalds, he pulls you over as you pull out of McDonalds because you make a left out of a right only, he realizes you are armed and asks for your Permit to carry because you are driving with a loaded handgun in your vehicle.

-can you articulate, prove how you were coming or going?

-If the officer does not know this RCW, are you prepared to bring it to his attention?

-The officer could cite you and make you explain yourself to a judge.

To save yourself the pain in the butt gray area this RCW inherently creates, load your sidearm when you get to your destination, and unload when you leave. Yes, you are protected but the protection is not fully clear. There are so many variable that can cause you legal issues.

Naw, just keep a dead deer strapped to the hood or a bucket of fish in the back, and you'll be covered. And after a couple days no LEO (or anyone else for that matter) would want to get close enough to your rig to see if you're carrying in the first place :monkey:monkey:banana:

Beretta92FSLady

Naw, just keep a dead deer strapped to the hood or a bucket of fish in the back, and you'll be covered. And after a couple days no LEO (or anyone else for that matter) would want to get close enough to your rig to see if you're carrying in the first place :monkey:monkey

:lol::p