• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL application no longer available online thru DOL

Bill Starks

State Researcher
A copy can still be found on the King County Sheriff site but I don't know for how long.
http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/sh...y/sheriff/documents/c/cpl_appl__11022009.ashx

Here is the response I got when I emailed the DOL Firearms unit...

Bill,
The reason that the CPL form was removed from the public sight was due to people downloading and filling them out and sending them in to us DOL without any background check. Also, since law enforcement agencies in WA are the issuing agencies for the license the application is on a secured LEA sight. We have also seen different versions of the application on the web that don’t meet legal standards according to RCW law.

We appreciate your customer service need on this but we had to make sure that people were applying with the right agency according to law.

Bruce W. Tanaka
Firearms Unit Program Manager
Dept. of Licensing

Mr. Tanaka,
Where does one get the application now that it is no longer available to the public? What happens when a person shows up to get his CPL and is told, "sorry we have no forms available or the printer is down and I can't print one out for you?" There are plenty of "anti-gun" departments that already make a person schedule an appointment, or will only take them during set hours to get a CPL. I can see them also not having the forms on hand for the individuals.

Bill Starks

[FONT=&quot]Bill, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I would call the law enforcement agency in which you will be applying at, ask about the best time to come in, if they have forms available (which they should), etc.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I do know that King County Sheriff’s office has a CPL form available on their website. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Laura Conrad
[FONT=&quot]LConrad@dol.wa.gov[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](360) 664-6616[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Firearms Unit/Notary[/FONT]

Mech

I ran into the same problem a few days ago when my hs sweetheart wanted to apply for her CPL. I dug around the net and found this

http://crpolice.org/Forms/cpl application.pdf

it looks to be the same as the one I used to get mine a year ago. Assuming they have NOT changed the forms, this should work, right?

TheJeepster

Also, since law enforcement agencies in WA are the issuing agencies for the license the application is on a secured LEA sight. We have also seen different versions of the application on the web that don’t meet legal standards according to RCW law

When I went in to get my CPL a few months ago at Thurston County Courthouse (Sherrif Office) I pre-emptively downloaded and filled out the form they had on the Thurston County website and took it in to save time, theirs and mine. I was then informed by the on-duty deputy that I had to fill out the correct form in the office since the one online was to not latest, nor correct form.

I am in agreement that best option is too call the local LEA your going to go through BEFORE heading down there. All departments appear to have different rules and policies regarding submitting, hours, etc...

ARADCOM

The issuing authority shall not refuse...

"There are plenty of "anti-gun" departments that already make a person schedule an appointment, or will only take them during set hours to get a CPL."

Looks to me like that would be illegal according to the last line in RCW 9.41.070. (1)

RCW 9.41.070
Concealed pistol license — Application — Fee — Renewal.

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license.The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
The reply i received this afternoon:

We always refer the public according to statute to the law enforcement agency where they reside. This is a shall issue state and if there are consumer complaints from the public about a law enforcement agency doing that, they will be notified immediately. By law they have to apply in person and also be fingerprinted. The issuing LEA has to see the applicant sign the application. They have been told not to receive any already signed applications.

Law enforcement agencies have direct access to obtain the application from the law enforcement link provided to them. They will always have access to it. There is no excuse not having it available.

Bruce W. Tanaka
Firearms Unit Program Manager
Dept. of Licensing

amlevin

Marysville used to send out applications after you called and made an appointment for fingerprinting. You needed an appointment because they only scheduled the tech a couple of days each week for public printing services. You brought the filled out, but unsigned form at the time of your appointment.

If you just dropped in they would give you the form and you could fill it out but still needed to schedule an appointment for prints.

They then sent off the prints and made you wait the full 30 days before they mailed the signed permit.

Ruby

I got my CPL through the Renton Police Department. I stopped by, picked up an application, and made an appointment to come back. This was last year. I filled out the application but I don't recall if I signed it or not before I went back. When I went back, the person who helped me asked me some questions and typed the answers on a form, part of which became my permit. He took 2 sets of fingerprints; the whole procedure probably took 20-30 minutes. I applied on March 9, it was approved on March 13, and I received it in the mail on March 19. I agree that the reason you have to schedule an appointment is that the tech is not full time, there is simply not the demand for someone to be there that much. Everyone was pleasant and there were no problems.

gsx1138

I got my CPL through the Renton Police Department. I stopped by, picked up an application, and made an appointment to come back. This was last year. I filled out the application but I don't recall if I signed it or not before I went back. When I went back, the person who helped me asked me some questions and typed the answers on a form, part of which became my permit. He took 2 sets of fingerprints; the whole procedure probably took 20-30 minutes. I applied on March 9, it was approved on March 13, and I received it in the mail on March 19. I agree that the reason you have to schedule an appointment is that the tech is not full time, there is simply not the demand for someone to be there that much. Everyone was pleasant and there were no problems.

Noooooo! There has to be a conspiracy!

amlevin

This is in preperation, as soon most American Citizens will be the Aliens.

I'm waiting for the "affirmative action" and assistance programs for just plain old tax paying, been here all our lives (or legal immigrant), contributing members of society.

It would appear that our current leadership is going in the direction of "aliens first".

Hey! I've got an idea! Why not just get rid of the "current leadership". What a great opportunity we have this November. ALL of our Representatives are up for election as well as half our Senators (here in WA). The time couldn't be better as it seems that EVERYONE is p!$$ed off over their performance.

Last edited:

oneeyeross

Reading your stories of the BS you guys put up with makes me so very happy I live in Lewis county. No appt., just go in, fill out the papers, get printed, go home and wait. Took almost three weeks, if I remember correctly. Renewal was done on the spot...

As for the election part, yes, VOTE. I don't care which party you vote for, which candidate you vote for, what your political views are, VOTE. It is your right as a citizen. If you don't take part in the process, you wind up governed by your inferiors or some such thing...

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Local

I recently renewed my CPL (April 1st), which was 90 days in advance. I knew that I had to apply with either my local PD (if I lived in an incorporated city) or my county sheriff (if I live in unincorporated parts of the county). For me in NE Tacoma (unincorporated Pierce Co.) the location to apply is the same as living in the city limits. It is at the County-City building in downtown Tacoma with LESA (Law Enforcement Support Agency). I had no issues and they were very helpful. The application is still available on-line. Interestingly enough it appears to be an application produced by the Washington DOL.