• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jay's Sporting Goods a final answer.

Bailenforcer

I asked Mark Copeland for an official stated policy at Jay's Sporting Goods on both Open and Concealed carry.

Attached is an official letterhead stating their policy. No more rumors, no more guessing, or emails here it is in writing.

Thanks to Mark Copeland, for clearing things up with a open letter to the customers who carry.

Se attached PDF file letterhead.

James

Attachments

• Jays OC policy.pdf
    71.9 KB · Views: 286

scot623

The Jays in Clare is a mecca of firearms. I was shocked by the huge selection. I am glad we have yet another firearm/sporting goods store supporting our rights here in Michigan. Thanks to anyone who helped get this policy straightened out!!

Bailenforcer

I had requested of Mark Copeland of Jays, that he either mail a letter, or make a pdf file of one, and he did the PDF file. Three cheers for Mark, as he went above and beyond to get all this done. It becomes obvious that Mark Copeland and Jay's sporting goods values our business. When people ask where to shop, Jay's will be my first recommendation.

awesome, and in nice printable .PDF also.

Last edited:

jfrenchudm

Good work, thanks for the info!

Will have to stop by when in the area to check them out.

I almost always make it a point to stop there when I am passing through Gaylord. I have yet to visit the Clare location, but as I understand it, it is larger and has a better selection of goods. Usually, if someone forgets something at home during deer season, we swing on up to Jay's and they always have what we need. At a decent price to boot.

malignity

Isn't this old news?

lil freak brought this up before, and there was no 'guessing' or 'rumors'. At least not from me. Seemed pretty clear cut. Jays has been pro-OC for something like close to a year now, haven't they?

Last edited:

Bronson

Isn't this old news?

lil freak brought this up before, and there was no 'guessing' or 'rumors'. At least not from me. Seemed pretty clear cut. Jays has been pro-OC for something like close to a year now, haven't they?

Yeah, but it seems some of their managers took longer to get the memo.

Bronson

PDinDetroit

Wow..

just... wow.

Again, Jays has been pro-OC for a year. I was clarifying, not speculating. You know, that's the one thing I hate about this forum, is that instead of working together to be on the same page, they'd much rather ridicule each other and 'eat their own' so to speak.

Needless to say, there's ways to get your point across without looking like a tool in the process. Again, this is old information, and something I already knew about from a year ago, and I was just clarifying, not speculating. This was originally covered so long ago that I've since forgotten, thus the clarification. In fact, I could have sworn that someone did the same thing you just did before lil freak even did.

There was an issue about a year ago, which had it's own thread and was worked out that Jay's supported OC. Thread Links:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...eriences-here.&p=994172&viewfull=1#post994172

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?60490-Jay-s-anti-open-carry

Recently, lil freak had an issue there that was posted as it's own thread and was worked out. The thread was closed and people were asked to "keep it polite and professional!". Thread Link:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77524-Jays-sporting-goods-IS-OC-friendly!

I agree that there is no need to "eat our own".

autosurgeon

However in all of those other interactions there never was a written policy given.

We are working to get written corporate policies whenever possible.

It is nice that some of you knew what their policy was... however since there have been less than positive interactions with some employees who are not up to speed it is nice to have a written policy to show them much like we show the law to municipalities.

So again I will say thank you to Bailenforcer for doing this. He is one of several working on this project and eventually we will have a list of these corporate policies available.

Those of you that knew through the grapevine that is fine BUT that does not help the new person or the person that was harassed by an uninformed store employee.

knifemaker

I was in the Gaylord store yesterday. There was a large sign to the right of the inner doors that stated: Guns must be unloaded and checked except for CC and OC (my paraphrase). It was very large and in bold type. You can't miss it. I'm sorry I didn't have a camera.

On a somewhat related note, they have lots of primers! Jay's is standing up for my rights. I'll support them with my business.

Yes, I OC'd while there, and at Michigan Airgas too.

Bailenforcer

As will I on Saturday when I restock my reloading bench.

I was in the Gaylord store yesterday. There was a large sign to the right of the inner doors that stated: Guns must be unloaded and checked except for CC and OC (my paraphrase). It was very large and in bold type. You can't miss it. I'm sorry I didn't have a camera.

On a somewhat related note, they have lots of primers! Jay's is standing up for my rights. I'll support them with my business.

Yes, I OC'd while there, and at Michigan Airgas too.

Bailenforcer

I want to thank Lil_freak_66 for taking the initiative to communicate with Mark Copeland which gave me a foot in the door to talk with Mark at length on the matter. Mark Copeland is to be praised for his unwavering support for our rights, and his action in closing this matter. Mark has not only helped clear up this matter, but he has made many new customers as a result, and made many old customers happier and at ease,shopping at Jay's.

However in all of those other interactions there never was a written policy given.

We are working to get written corporate policies whenever possible.

It is nice that some of you knew what their policy was... however since there have been less than positive interactions with some employees who are not up to speed it is nice to have a written policy to show them much like we show the law to municipalities.

So again I will say thank you to Bailenforcer for doing this. He is one of several working on this project and eventually we will have a list of these corporate policies available.

Those of you that knew through the grapevine that is fine BUT that does not help the new person or the person that was harassed by an uninformed store employee.

autosurgeon

We only try to get a written policy when there is an issue.

Folks on here need to relax!! We are all on the same side!!

In this case there was an issue with an uninformed employee that has been corrected. And for good measure we now have a written policy on Jays letterhead that can be printed out and taken to the store if such an issue arises again. This is much better than a copied and pasted email as it is much harder for someone to say it is a fake.

I do not understand why this is so hard for some people to understand.

We are not asking permission to OC beforehand but rather investigating corporate policy after an issue arises and getting it in writing!

If it is PRO OC we will post it in the database if it is negative we will not as we have always had the policy of only posting a pro carry list and unless I am told otherwise I will maintain that status!

Last edited:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
This back and forth between members has to stop!

The bickering has been deleted!

Please stop and focus on all of us working together!

Thanks!

John