Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meet our families

Meet our families

Was thinking maybe Fort Williams or Two Lights state park for the next gathering. They have charcoal grills. Up to you guys but would be a good place to bring our families.
    Last edited by damienrr; 08-04-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by damienrr View Post
    Was thinking maybe Fort Williams or Two Lights state park for the next gathering. They have charcoal grills. Up to you guys but would be a good place to bring our families.
    state parks are no carry zones... are both of those places parks? if not where are they?

Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    state parks are no carry zones... are both of those places parks? if not where are they?
    i dont think fort willaims is a state park. they dont charge to get in. state parks in maine do charge. fort willaims i in cape elizabeth maine. right on the ocean. its in a yuppy part of town. ill drive fort willaims tommorrow to see if it is a state park . 90 percent its not!

Fort Williams is not a State Park. It's also known as Portland Head Light. Not as many grill but it is a great place to go! There is a large area on top of a hill with a lot of picnic tables. Very popular in the area for their walking trails and it's history. I thought only Arcadia was a no carry zone?
    Last edited by damienrr; 08-02-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Nothing like the State Capital to make a statement. Waterfront park maybe?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Fort Williams

At a special town meeting on June 29, 1964, the residents of Cape Elizabeth voted to buy Fort Williams. Their offer of $200,000 was accepted and on December 1, 1964, the Town of Cape Elizabeth acquired Fort Williams.

........... the Town Council designated Fort Williams on July 23, 1979, as "Fort Williams Park." Since that time, Fort Williams Park has been host to many picnics, concerts and other events and has been enjoyed by countless thousands of visitors and Cape Elizabeth residents alike.
    http://www.capeelizabeth.com/fort/history.html

To reserve the picnic shelter or other areas of the park for group gatherings, please call Community Services, 207-799-2868.
    http://www.capeelizabeth.com/tFort.html

Not promoting, just saying.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

NO CARRY ZONE- 16 SQUARE MILES IN AUGUSTA IN STRUCTURES OWNED, LEASED OR RENTED BY THE STATE OF MAINE (CAPITOL PREMISES) RULE GO TO BUREAU OF CAPITOL SECURITY; Ch.41 F

No person, except a police officer on duty, shall carry firearms, dangerous weapons, explosives, incendiary devices, or implements which by their nature are capable of being used to destroy or injure a person or property in the Capitol Area.

Waterfront park is owned by city I believe

16-219 DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

I'D CALL BUREAU OF CAPITOL SECURITY TO BE SURE

CHAPTER 41 Capitol Area Security Rules

1. Definitions

The following words and phrases, when used in these regulations, shall have the following meanings, unless a different meaning is plainly required by the context:

A. "Capitol Area" when used in these regulations shall mean the land, building, personal property and facilities owned, leased, occupied, used or possessed by the State in or at:

(1) The Capitol Area described in I M.R.S.A., Section 814, and

(2) The District Court Building on State Street, and

(3) The State Police Barracks and Garage on Hospital Street, and

(4) Blaine House Complex, and

(5) Blaine Memorial, and

(6) The Augusta Mental Health Institute Complex, and

(7) ANY OTHER STATE CONTROLLED LOCATIONS, WHETHER ITS OWNED, LEASED, OR JUST USED BY THE STATE WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS OF AUGUSTA, MAINE.

Quote Originally Posted by jonjon_jon View Post
    Waterfront park is owned by city I believe
    If this is the Waterfront Park to which you refer, it is owned by the City of Gardiner. Very picturesque site.
    http://www.gardinermaine.com/Public_...dev/waterfront

http://www.gardinermaine.com/Public_Documents/index
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Downtown Augusta on both sides of the river there are parks. There is also a park downtown augusta at the old Bates Mill site. People could also enjoy fort western tour right next to park, I've done it very interesting. The Maine State Museum is right up the road and only dollar or two. Yes I know you have to take the gun off, but get over it. Lots of us drive 2/3 hours to attend a event. It could be family event bring wifes, kids, friends and make day of it.

PS. would have to check on fort western I believe it's city.
    Last edited by jonjon_jon; 08-04-2010 at 12:04 PM.

Downtown Augusta on both sides of the river there are parks. There is also a park downtown augusta at the old Bates Mill site. People could also enjoy fort western tour right next to park, I've done it very interesting. The Maine State Museum is right up the road and only dollar or two. Yes I know you have to take the gun off, but get over it. Lots of us drive 2/3 hours to attend a event. It could be family event bring wifes, kids, friends and make day of it.

PS. would have to check on fort western I believe it's city.
    Wouldn't that be counter productive? How does one express the right to self-protection by disarming and leaving those tools unprotected where - in vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Wouldn't that be counter productive? How does one express the right to self-protection by disarming and leaving those tools unprotected where - in vehicles?
    Exactly, I still believe Fort Williams park in Cape Elizabeth would be the perfect setting for a meet and greet with our families, and maybe a cookout. Makes for a good backdrop for group photos and it is a well visited park, giving us ample opportunity to interact with the public. Guaranteed to get medias attention as well. And we can remain armed. There are walking trails, old buildings/bunkers to walk through, play grounds for the kids, famous light house (perfect photo op), plenty of parking, ocean views, ext. We should consider it while the weather is still good. Its also a safe environment for children.
    Last edited by damienrr; 08-04-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Empty holsters. Send a message ("My holster is empty because I have been disarmed by my state government") and start a conversation in the process.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

I carry openly in Waterfront park in Augusta. Some of the local officials don't like it however they can't do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarody View Post
    I carry openly in Waterfront park in Augusta. Some of the local officials don't like it however they can't do anything about it.

I would like to suggest to all that if this movement is to grow events need to be in different areas. New people new faces. We will get new people that won't travel and also the ones that now do are going to get sick and tired of being to only group that that has to drive 100/200 miles every event. A Bangor or Augusta OC event would show this is state wide movement and be fair to other OC.
    Last edited by jonjon_jon; 08-05-2010 at 11:15 AM.

I would like to suggest to all that if this movement is to grow events need to be in different areas. New people new faces. We will get new people that won't travel and also the ones that now do are going to get sick and tired of being to only group that that has to drive 100/200 miles every event. A Bangor or Augusta OC event would show this is state wide movement and be fair to other OC.
    Arcadia to Sanford is geographically half the state. Where do you suggest we oc, your backyard?

well i drove to arcadia and back to my home in s. portland in one day. it was 386 miles. have you heard me once bitching and moaning about driving. ill just about go any where for moca! saw all kinds of new faces in sanford.apparently i didnt see your.
    Last edited by crdonov; 08-05-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Not all participants will share the same level of dedication nor have the financial freedom and /or time to donate to the effort that others may have.

All should be embraced equally IMHO - your strength will come not only from the dedicated, but from the shear volume of your numbers - as you grow, so will your "muscle."

Accommodation and spreading the activities can have benefits. Pay attention to and address the "hot spots" as required. Lots of things to consider - no easy answer.

See a lot to be proud of in you guys and gals.

Not all participants will share the same level of dedication nor have the financial freedom and /or time to donate to the effort that others may have.

All should be embraced equally IMHO - your strength will come not only from the dedicated, but from the shear volume of your numbers - as you grow, so will your "muscle."

Accommodation and spreading the activities can have benefits. Pay attention to and address the "hot spots" as required. Lots of things to consider - no easy answer.

See a lot to be proud of in you guys and gals.
    Your right Grapeshot. Where ever Shane decides to have the next gathering I will be there. Hopefully bring a few friends.

will always follow moca!

Accomplished Advocate
    It's an interesting area for sure. My main concern is someone not realizing that they are in a no-carry zone. Not necessarily the place that the event is being held, but when person A or B leave the event and want to check out the city on their own... We need to be very careful about when and where we have events, especially MOCA sanctioned events. On a second thought I think that we need to do more than simply stand around talking for 30 minutes than go to lunch haha... There needs to be activities/events when we do our next event for the kids, families and perhaps the general public. Any ideas/suggestions? We need to somehow being the public into our little circle instead of doing smaller quieter spliced events. I'm not talking about saying anything to the media, but perhaps fliers around town, word of mouth... although I'm still not sure what exactly we could do??

Maybe a booth at a fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarody View Post
    Maybe a booth at a fair?

+1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast