• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vancouver Parks Code 15.04

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Well...a friend of mine from Vancouver pointed out that a sign at Esther Short Park and the Vancouver Municipal Code both state that mere possession of firearms at parks are illegal.

So it looks like the Vancouver crowd (Mech, bwbowley, SargentMac, USMC1911, joejoejoe, tompkins, nathan, SirCastic, JOESEEB) needs to write some letters and speak in front of the city council.

EstherShortPark.jpg

Section 15.04.060 Firearms and fireworks.

Firearms, fireworks, bows, arrows, and sling shots are prohibited in any park. It is unlawful to shoot, fire, or explode any firearms, fireworks, firecracker, torpedo or explosive of any kind or to carry any firearms or to shoot or fire any air gun, bows, and arrows, BB gun or use any slingshot in any park; provided, the director of parks may issue permits for use of safe and sane fireworks in specified areas where fire hazards will not be increased and where the use of the fireworks will be under proper supervision, and fireworks displays may be permitted upon securing of a proper permit pursuant to state law; provided further, this section shall not prevent establishment in any park of a properly designed archery course. (Ord. M-1072 § 7, 1969)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
OCDO Members should take a move and start cleaning up City and County Ordinances, many have and are currently involved in doing this, how about the rest to become involved?

Last edited:

joejoejoe

On it like a bonnet! I just sent an email to our mayor, Tim Leavitt. Gonna do some more research to see what else I can do.

Joe~

p.s. I just got back tonight from working out at the Anytime Fitness right across from that park. I curiously looked at the sign, and I did see that it said no firearms. Funny the topic has been brought up here.

Mech

I know this might sound incredibly lazy, but if someone can find the RCW/specific law saying that we can indeed carry onto park spaces, I'll gladly email whoever I need to. Sorry just kind of short on time right now; the family is leaving for a 20-day trip to Taiwan tomorrow so things are hectic as it is.

But yeah, if yall can give me the info I'll be sure to send out a few emails while I'm in Taiwan :)

Well, I'll say my goodbye to yall for now. Will be back from Taiwan on the 23rd of August. Yall take care while I'm gone, ya hear? :)

(PS. Not being able to OC anything in Taiwan is going to drive me CRAZY! XD)

PPS. Sorry for hijacking this thread :(

Tawnos

I know this might sound incredibly lazy, but if someone can find the RCW/specific law saying that we can indeed carry onto park spaces, I'll gladly email whoever I need to. Sorry just kind of short on time right now; the family is leaving for a 20-day trip to Taiwan tomorrow so things are hectic as it is.

But yeah, if yall can give me the info I'll be sure to send out a few emails while I'm in Taiwan :)

Well, I'll say my goodbye to yall for now. Will be back from Taiwan on the 23rd of August. Yall take care while I'm gone, ya hear? :)

(PS. Not being able to OC anything in Taiwan is going to drive me CRAZY! XD)

PPS. Sorry for hijacking this thread :(

joejoejoe

Reply from Tim Leavitt

"Hello Joe --
Thanks for emailing me about this.
The difference between State and the City's local codes was brought to my attention earlier this year.
Staff are in the process of revising City code and determining how to best change the park signage.
They will be getting back to me with an updated schedule.
I'll keep you posted.
thanks
tim"

I will be keeping an eye to when the next city hall meeting is so I can attend. I will keep you posted.

Joe~

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
1st and 3rd Monday of each month 7p.m. Public Testimony Welcome...

http://www.cityofvancouver.us/government.asp?menuid=10462&submenuid=10474

You are usually given just 3 minutes to speak, so type something up and read it out load a couple of times and time yourself at the 2 1/2 minute range. You may have a longer typed document....and you may submit more in writing to the record.

Also, send an invite to a specific Columbian reporter if you do.

Reply from Tim Leavitt

"Hello Joe --
Thanks for emailing me about this.
The difference between State and the City's local codes was brought to my attention earlier this year.
Staff are in the process of revising City code and determining how to best change the park signage.
They will be getting back to me with an updated schedule.
I'll keep you posted.
thanks
tim"

I will be keeping an eye to when the next city hall meeting is so I can attend. I will keep you posted.

Joe~

~FJ

I was under the impression that County's and City's couln't enact strickter laws then the state...
(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

(ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.
Does that mean that Vancouver is in violation of state law?

joejoejoe

Should I open carry to the meeting? It's going to be held at the Battle Ground Community Center. According to the law, it is not illegal. Think I will lose my opportunity if I carry?

Joe~

Jayd1981

I didn't carry to the City Council meeting because I wanted to make the issue about following state law, not about gun rights. Carrying the gun will bring more attention to that, however if you are within your rights then I wouldn't fault you which ever way you go.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

joejoejoe

Update

I got a hold of the committee on Vancouver Parks yesterday. A gentleman informed me that it would cost 7000-8000 dollars to replace all the old signs. He said all the new ones going up do not have the "no firearms" restrictions. He is well aware that the signs are in violation of Washington State Law, and he said that the Vancouver PD knows that it cannot be enforced. I stilled pressed the issue because it still needs to be taken care of. He said this weekend he will have the "no firearms" covered up from the Esther Short Park signs as a cheap fix, and he will continue to work on getting the remaining park signs fixed. He also said he would work with me in getting the Vancouver Parks Code 15.04.060 changed so it is in line with State law.

When he started the conversation, he said, "I just tell everyone who asks to conceal. No one will ever know anyways. It's only an issue if you want to openly carry."

"Funny you say that," I said, "Because I want to open carry!"

He replied with a *sigh* "Okay then, let's see what we can do."

All in all, he sounds like a great guy who is going to help me get the problem solved. It seems like a few people have mentioned it, but no open carriers. I will keep you updated. He said it should be fixed by next week. Also I will keep you updated on the Vancouver Parks Code.

Joe~

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
First, excellent follow up! Outstanding!

I think this is a typical response from a NRA life member. However, it is a step in the right direction.

Second, the key here is to have the code updated. Just because they say they won't enforce it does not mean that it won't be written on a ticket for the courts to figure out.

Third, this is another prime example of open carry leading the way and changing the political landscape. We are the leading gassroots activists making the largest impact on civil rights in quite some time.

joejoejoe

I am attending the City Council Meeting on the 16th of this month at 6pm. Open public forums begin at 7pm, but I will be there earlier so I don't miss it! If you are interested in coming in support, let me know and we can carpool in my car.

Joe~

jt59