• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not registered in your name

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Can you open carry a gun that is not registered in your name?

Contrary to the media generated belief, there is practically no registration nationwide.

registermap.png

Dreamer

Thanks I over looked that map.

Although this map is helpful, it's not entirely accurate. There are some localities that DO require registration of handguns in "yellow" states.

Durham NC requires registration of handguns.

In MD, all handguns purchased from a licensed dealer are recorded by MSP, and those records (description and serial # of handgun, and buyer's info--name, address, etc) are held by MSP indefinitely. While this isn't technically a "registration", it is a "de facto registration", because the MSP require this info before approving a purchase, and maintain this info in a database with no requirement to purge the data.

I'm sure there are other local picadillos in other states, of which I am not aware...

Last edited:

Decoligny

Contrary to the media generated belief, there is practically no registration nationwide.

registermap.png

The California map is a little bit off.

While California does require the registration of all newly purchased handguns, and all newly imported handguns (people moving to California), it does not require registration of handguns owned before the registration requirement went into effect. So there are indeed a lot of handguns in California that are not registered.

Open Carry of a handgun not registered in your name is fine in CA.

Illegally concealing a handgun in CA is a misdemeanor, unless it isn't registered in your name, then it is a felony.

daddy4count

Also, specific to WA state, we have preemption where RCW 9.41.290 specifies that cities and counties cannot make laws more strict than the state. If the state says it is okay to carry the cities and counties cannot say otherwise.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
Also, specific to WA state, we have preemption where RCW 9.41.290 specifies that cities and counties cannot make laws more strict than the state. If the state says it is okay to carry the cities and counties cannot say otherwise.

Alaska has preemption as well, which is particularly sweet as we have almost no gun laws at all!

March Hare

In Arizona, none of my guns are registered to anyone.
All were purchased through private sale.

But, it's ALWAYS best to check your local laws, read the actual statutes and ask a lawyer if not sure!

Carry on!

-MH