• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick Question on Discharging Weapons

Jero1987

I have a few friends from the United Kingdom coming into town next week. Are any of you guys aware of any laws that prohibit visitors from the UK from going target shooting on private property? I am not aware of any, but I thought I would check seeing that most of you are familiar with the law and some are lawyers.
Thanks in advance.

James

VAopencarry

I think the question would be more of possession not discharge. That being said, if they are lawfully in the US I know of nothing that would prohibit them from shooting or possessing.

Last edited:

TFred

They can shoot with you, but they cannot be in possession unless they have a resident visa or a hunting permit.
Alright now, someone's gonna have to come up with something better than this... or a seriously convoluted explanation on how someone can shoot a gun without possessing it...

ETA: Seems we've had plenty of discussions about felons who can't possess, and should even avoid being in the same home with unsecured firearms... I don't really think you can have two different definitions of possess, one for felons and one for overseas visitors...

TFred

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Alright now, someone's gonna have to come up with something better than this... or a seriously convoluted explanation on how someone can shoot a gun without possessing it...

ETA: Seems we've had plenty of discussions about felons who can't possess, and should even avoid being in the same home with unsecured firearms... I don't really think you can have two different definitions of possess, one for felons and one for overseas visitors...

TFred

I took a movie crew from California shooting. If it's OK for LA people it certainly should be alright for a couple of Londoners to see what they won't be going back to.:uhoh:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
James,

Discharge of firearms is often addressed by local code.

For example, in Lynchburg,
No person shall ... discharge anywhere within the city limits any firearm ... except upon a properly located and constructed gunnery or archery range, approved by the chief of police, as hereinafter provided.
See http://www.lynchburgva.gov/Index.aspx?page=2599

If gunfire is not common in your area, and you start shooting, the police will likely show up.

Know your local laws.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
DrMark, Jero actually has a place to shoot that is acceptable for shooting. His main interest is in knowing whether any laws apply that would prevent non-resident, visiting aliens from going shooting with him for the sake of an introduction to firearms.

wylde007

His main interest is in knowing whether any laws apply that would prevent non-resident, visiting aliens from going shooting with him for the sake of an introduction to firearms.
I do not believe there is any law prohibiting their possession, handling or firing of weapons.

They are merely restricted from PURCHASING, as they are not U.S. citizens.

IANAL.

simmonsjoe

I do not believe there is any law prohibiting their possession, handling or firing of weapons.

They are merely restricted from PURCHASING, as they are not U.S. citizens.

IANAL.
Not a lawyer and not correct.

non-citizens must have a green card or hunting permit, else no gun. I wasn't guessing, it was discussed just last week.

nova

Provide a cite please.

Also, how does one shoot a gun without possessing it?
have someone else tie a string to the trigger, and then have the other person pull the string from a distance? :lol::uhoh:

wylde007

non-citizens must have a green card or hunting permit, else no gun. I wasn't guessing, it was discussed just last week.
Discussed last week where?

A discussion on a forum does not create legal status. A cite would be nice.
the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
Of course, if you are on private property where shooting is lawful and your guests are shooting with you, then there shouldn't even be an issue.

I see in the cite above (which posted while I was typing) that a non-immigrant visa granted may shoot if meeting certain conditions. Assuming, of course, that you shooting draws the attention of a federal agent or, at the very least, a local constable who wants to see one of his citizens prosecuted for an ignorant law.

I wonder if the enforcement of those laws were in place when France helped us gain our independence from England. I think probably not.

The USC and CFR are abominations to liberty.

Last edited:

simmonsjoe

You know what else would be nice?

Discussed last week where?

A discussion on a forum does not create legal status. A cite would be nice.
If we didn't have to keep re-pasting **** because people don't use the search function.

It was cited a week or two ago. I was able to locate the thread in 15 seconds on the search function. I feel like We're being used to do someone else's homework, you know?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I guess the simple answer to keep it completely above board, is to have them get a county only (Cheaper) small game license.

simmonsjoe

I just realized a potential problem with that

I guess the simple answer to keep it completely above board, is to have them get a county only (Cheaper) small game license.
He will only be able to carry in accordance with the 43466422357 laws each county has relating to hunting. He'll only be able to carry certain guns certain times of the year and day, he will have to unload every time he crosses a road or is in a vehicle. etc etc.