Thread: 3 Killed at workplace shooting in Manchester

3 Killed at workplace shooting in Manchester

May god be with them and their families. Terrible, terrible story. http://www.courant.com/community/man...,6271609.story

My thoughts and prayers are with the families!

MSN is reporting he used a semi-automatic rifle chambered in .223.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38535909...urts?GT1=43001

Snipit from article

"Hannah said Thornton, who is black, had complained to his superiors about a picture of a noose and a racial epithet in a bathroom at the distributor. Her daughter told her the supervisors did not respond to his complaints.

Hannah said Thornton called his own mother after the rampage "to say goodbye and that he loved everybody."

Thornton shot a number of people inside and outside the building and then shot himself with a .223 caliber semiautomatic rifle as police approached, sources told the Courant. "

Now reported as handgun, and Permit holder. Facebook Homepage notes that one of his favorites is Hoffmans Gun Center and Indoor Range.

Unhappy One of the saddess day in connecticut

i'LL will pray for the famlies and god be with them in these's hard times.

Who knew?

I've done a quick search on the judicial web page and couldn't find any convictions for an O Thornton in any of the state courts. So here's a guy with a permit who was caught stealing from his employer, and when faced with this fact was GIVEN the option of quitting or being fired. I didn't hear that they threatened him with involving the authorities over it so basically he could have walked away with no criminal involvement at that point.

Instead of walking away and considering himself lucky he wasn't on the way to jail he decides he's going to shoot everyone that gave him a hard time.

The first thing I hear from the family members is that he was a victim of racism at work. Ok, that may be true, but because of that he decides to steal beer? and when getting caught with that he goes on a homicidal (and suicidal) rampage.

I guess I'm not really adding to the story anything other than a question. How in the hell are people supposed to deal with situations like this.

How do we as a group answer to people that say "he was a pistol permit holder, he went through the background checks, and he still went and killed 8 people" ? I feel awful that 9 extended families have been permanently damaged by this one senseless act.

Thoughts?

Food for thought

Dear Permit holders -

After the Manchester incident ..Do you feel more of a need to carry or do you all feel discouraged and prefer to leave your guns at home now....

I know I carry for self defense..and yesterdays incident is a prime example, because this guy could have been taken down sooner and less people hurt..less tragedies.

Let me hear from you.

As far as what to tell anti-2nd amendment people, I am not sure what I would say, and as far as how the incident makes me feel about carry? I don't think any job is worth my life, regardless of "policy." Carry discreet, carry quietly, but be able to defend your own life.

How do we as a group answer to people that say "he was a pistol permit holder, he went through the background checks, and he still went and killed 8 people" ? I feel awful that 9 extended families have been permanently damaged by this one senseless act.

Thoughts?
    My thoughts are that we, as a group, should not have to explain anything. People do stupid cruel things.

Another thought is why we feel the need and others feel we should explain away these things. Far more death & crime can be attributed to access to automobiles than guns, yet the driving public is not brought under the spotlight when a drunk kills a kid or a car is used in a terrible crime. Guarenteed this guy drove there, perhaps if he had to walk he would have had time to think it over better.

Just because he was a lawful gun owner doesnt mean that he just did not snap. I am sure some people out there will turn this into a gun debacle, if guns were banned then he would not have had one blah blah blah, I just turn it back on their stupid laws by responding with

"had another gun owner been carrying a gun that day a life or 8 may have been saved. Even if one life was saved because of someone stopping this mad man, it would have been worth it, but because of liberals, and union political pandering they are not allowed to carry firearms there, so no one but the police could intervene. By then it was to late. Oh by the way, hows that no guns on the premises rule working out for you?"

Quote Originally Posted by stacks04 View Post
    "had another gun owner been carrying a gun that day a life or 8 may have been saved. Even if one life was saved because of someone stopping this mad man, it would have been worth it, but because of liberals, and union political pandering they are not allowed to carry firearms there, so no one but the police could intervene. By then it was to late. Oh by the way, hows that no guns on the premises rule working out for you?"
    They tried to fight back. Unfortunately they were prohibited from having what might have saved them.

http://feeds.courant.com/~r/Courant/...0,432137.story

Unhappy Some States allowed employees to bring guns in workplace but kept in there cars.

Rich B You hit it right on the nail. I agreed with you. the company left those employees defensive.with there NO WEAPONS policy. I am going thru same policy at my job. ILL have to leave my gun home or ILL lose my job. THAT REALLY SUCK. how do i DEFEND MYSELF beside running or hiding from these murderers ?
    Last edited by Alex.EastHartford.; 08-05-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Rich nailed it there.

The other thing that is ticking me off is all this talk of racism - NO RECORD - PERIOD!

A little baby, got caught stealing but didn't want to tell his girlfriend and family what really happened. He couldn't just walk away clean.

He had to be a ********* and go on a rampage.

My biggest fear is idiotic legislation that could come of this, knowing that no laws could prevent this.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    They tried to fight back. Unfortunately they were prohibited from having what might have saved them.

http://feeds.courant.com/~r/Courant/...0,432137.story
    That was my point, maybe you missed the last sentence. I was never doubting that they did or did not try. Apparently the sarcasm in my quoted part was missed by some.
    Last edited by stacks04; 08-06-2010 at 09:29 AM.

I will say it again, worded differently. Unless your work has metal detectors and a security guard with a wand at the door, carry smart, and carry quiet. Unfortunately political climate stops us from carrying at most employers. I am a .45 man myself, but I understand the value of a .380 or a .32. Small calibers are hidden well, which means you can bring them to work every day, unless your work has a metal detector. Which is doesn't. Unless you work for DCF. In that case, I respect you, but would not be your co-worker.

Quote Originally Posted by datank55 View Post
    Unless you work for DCF.
    I have never seen a metal detector at a DCF building.

I work for DCF in Meriden, and we don't have metal detectors. All we have are two elderly security guards with wands.

What I'd give to be able to carry my Gold Cup Trophy on the job....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    I have never seen a metal detector at a DCF building.
    The office in Hartford does. Pain in the ass everytime I had to prove that they screwed up in what they were taking out from me.

Smug SOB's.

I ended out with a negative balance (they took out too much) so it worked out for me. But the detectors are a pain in the butt.

Jonathan

My thoughts

There is no back ground check that can determain if someone suffers from depresssion,paranoia or some other mental issue that has never been addressed
    by an individual. Some walk thru life and never seek help or do not even understand
    they have a problem. the fact is this guy would have snapped somewhere sometime, and no gun law would have prevented him from snapping. It can happen any time any day. The question is how do you protect your self from it? easy.... you all know the answer. There will always be LAC out there with undianosed mental issues, just another reason to protect your self at all times.
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    The office in Hartford does. Pain in the ass everytime I had to prove that they screwed up in what they were taking out from me.

Smug SOB's.

I ended out with a negative balance (they took out too much) so it worked out for me. But the detectors are a pain in the butt.

Jonathan

Other than Central office on Hudson St. no other DCF office has a metal detector to my knowledge.

Unless they moved.... this was on Asylum Ave in Hartford.