Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: What are your priorities? What would you change if you could?

  1. #1
    Regular Member ep0k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wiscasset, Maine, USA
    Posts
    273

    What are your priorities? What would you change if you could?

    It's occurred to me that Acadia and Sanford were both "reactive" events, in that they were a response a change in law (Acadia) and LEO harassment (Sanford). We should also be proactive when we can. To that end maybe we should outline our what's affecting us individually and that might facilitate better collaboration. We should be proactive as well as reactive.

    Right now I'm going to USM full-time (Shane is too, during the normal fall / spring semesters) so I definitely consider the state ban on firearms on campus an issue with large personal impact. Portland in general is also very unfriendly to OC. We're going to be wearing empty holsters as a form of protest this fall. Much as I am chagrined by it, getting involved with Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (http://concealedcampus.org/) might be beneficial. CC is a step closer to OC and they don't currently have a Maine chapter.

    So, what's affecting you?
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

  2. #2
    Regular Member crdonov's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south portland, Maine, USA
    Posts
    463
    need to get a little more info

  3. #3
    Regular Member damienrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SCARBOROUGH, ME.
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by ep0k View Post
    It's occurred to me that Acadia and Sanford were both "reactive" events, in that they were a response a change in law (Acadia) and LEO harassment (Sanford). We should also be proactive when we can. To that end maybe we should outline our what's affecting us individually and that might facilitate better collaboration. We should be proactive as well as reactive.

    Right now I'm going to USM full-time (Shane is too, during the normal fall / spring semesters) so I definitely consider the state ban on firearms on campus an issue with large personal impact. Portland in general is also very unfriendly to OC. We're going to be wearing empty holsters as a form of protest this fall. Much as I am chagrined by it, getting involved with Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (http://concealedcampus.org/) might be beneficial. CC is a step closer to OC and they don't currently have a Maine chapter.

    So, what's affecting you?
    I would think in light of the workplace shooting yesterday, that having more employers being accepting of open or concealed carry in the workplace would be a good start along with college campuses.

  4. #4
    Regular Member ep0k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wiscasset, Maine, USA
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by damienrr View Post
    I would think in light of the workplace shooting yesterday, that having more employers being accepting of open or concealed carry in the workplace would be a good start along with college campuses.
    I concur. There's been some discussion of this over on http://reddit.com/r/guns . The concern (a valid one) is that mass-murders like the one in CT usually get picked up by the anti-gun crowd and co-opted for their own ideology. No one considers the fact that if one of the shooter's co-workers had a CCW or OCW on him the death count would probably be much lower.

    People just snap sometimes and do horrible things. If the shooter hadn't had access to firearms he would have used some other weapon. A handgun in the right hands could have stopped or prevented this.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

  5. #5
    Regular Member damienrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SCARBOROUGH, ME.
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by ep0k View Post
    I concur. There's been some discussion of this over on http://reddit.com/r/guns . The concern (a valid one) is that mass-murders like the one in CT usually get picked up by the anti-gun crowd and co-opted for their own ideology. No one considers the fact that if one of the shooter's co-workers had a CCW or OCW on him the death count would probably be much lower.

    People just snap sometimes and do horrible things. If the shooter hadn't had access to firearms he would have used some other weapon. A handgun in the right hands could have stopped or prevented this.
    If an employee was armed yesterday there is NO DOUBT that lunatic would have been shot and killed before he had a chance to kill 9 people. I would bet my life on it. Any other argument is pure BS. Gun laws only effect LAW-ABIDING citizens. A criminal does not give a sh!t about laws , if he is crazy enough to shoot innocent people he is crazy enough to own a gun illegaly.

  6. #6
    Regular Member ep0k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wiscasset, Maine, USA
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by damienrr View Post
    If an employee was armed yesterday there is NO DOUBT that lunatic would have been shot and killed before he had a chance to kill 9 people. I would bet my life on it. Any other argument is pure BS. Gun laws only effect LAW-ABIDING citizens. A criminal does not give a sh!t about laws , if he is crazy enough to shoot innocent people he is crazy enough to own a gun illegaly.
    Related: Ask any LEO if criminals wear holsters. Of course they don't. An empty holster just advertises that you HAD a weapon that you ditched.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •