• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are your priorities? What would you change if you could?

ep0k

It's occurred to me that Acadia and Sanford were both "reactive" events, in that they were a response a change in law (Acadia) and LEO harassment (Sanford). We should also be proactive when we can. To that end maybe we should outline our what's affecting us individually and that might facilitate better collaboration. We should be proactive as well as reactive.

Right now I'm going to USM full-time (Shane is too, during the normal fall / spring semesters) so I definitely consider the state ban on firearms on campus an issue with large personal impact. Portland in general is also very unfriendly to OC. We're going to be wearing empty holsters as a form of protest this fall. Much as I am chagrined by it, getting involved with Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (http://concealedcampus.org/) might be beneficial. CC is a step closer to OC and they don't currently have a Maine chapter.

So, what's affecting you?

damienrr

It's occurred to me that Acadia and Sanford were both "reactive" events, in that they were a response a change in law (Acadia) and LEO harassment (Sanford). We should also be proactive when we can. To that end maybe we should outline our what's affecting us individually and that might facilitate better collaboration. We should be proactive as well as reactive.

Right now I'm going to USM full-time (Shane is too, during the normal fall / spring semesters) so I definitely consider the state ban on firearms on campus an issue with large personal impact. Portland in general is also very unfriendly to OC. We're going to be wearing empty holsters as a form of protest this fall. Much as I am chagrined by it, getting involved with Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (http://concealedcampus.org/) might be beneficial. CC is a step closer to OC and they don't currently have a Maine chapter.

So, what's affecting you?

I would think in light of the workplace shooting yesterday, that having more employers being accepting of open or concealed carry in the workplace would be a good start along with college campuses.

ep0k

I would think in light of the workplace shooting yesterday, that having more employers being accepting of open or concealed carry in the workplace would be a good start along with college campuses.

I concur. There's been some discussion of this over on http://reddit.com/r/guns . The concern (a valid one) is that mass-murders like the one in CT usually get picked up by the anti-gun crowd and co-opted for their own ideology. No one considers the fact that if one of the shooter's co-workers had a CCW or OCW on him the death count would probably be much lower.

People just snap sometimes and do horrible things. If the shooter hadn't had access to firearms he would have used some other weapon. A handgun in the right hands could have stopped or prevented this.

damienrr

I concur. There's been some discussion of this over on http://reddit.com/r/guns . The concern (a valid one) is that mass-murders like the one in CT usually get picked up by the anti-gun crowd and co-opted for their own ideology. No one considers the fact that if one of the shooter's co-workers had a CCW or OCW on him the death count would probably be much lower.

People just snap sometimes and do horrible things. If the shooter hadn't had access to firearms he would have used some other weapon. A handgun in the right hands could have stopped or prevented this.

If an employee was armed yesterday there is NO DOUBT that lunatic would have been shot and killed before he had a chance to kill 9 people. I would bet my life on it. Any other argument is pure BS. Gun laws only effect LAW-ABIDING citizens. A criminal does not give a sh!t about laws , if he is crazy enough to shoot innocent people he is crazy enough to own a gun illegaly.

ep0k

If an employee was armed yesterday there is NO DOUBT that lunatic would have been shot and killed before he had a chance to kill 9 people. I would bet my life on it. Any other argument is pure BS. Gun laws only effect LAW-ABIDING citizens. A criminal does not give a sh!t about laws , if he is crazy enough to shoot innocent people he is crazy enough to own a gun illegaly.

Related: Ask any LEO if criminals wear holsters. Of course they don't. An empty holster just advertises that you HAD a weapon that you ditched.