Thread: Party at McIntosh Lake in Longmont

Party at McIntosh Lake in Longmont

I am attending a going-away party at McIntosh Lake in Longmont ,and as I have been reading about Ordinances in the town, I am still unsure whether or not I can open carry at the lake. Anyone care to enlighten me on this subject?

Thanks.

Looking at the municipal code, I think you're OK. However, a fixed law isn't necessary; if you see a sign which says "no firearms" or "open carry of firearms is prohibited," that's enough to ban it. As it were, carry and just adjust on the off chance you need to!

Longmont claims the power to prohibit open carry in parks (the ordinance actually prohibits all weapons, but it's clear that they can't prohibit concealed carry). The state statute that allows any city to ban open carry on city property requires signs at all entrances in order for them to prohibit open carry, but that park (and most, if not all parks in Longmont) don't have entrances -- they're open on all sides, so it doesn't seem that they can really prohibit it.

I asked the City Attorney specifically about this, and he says the City has the authority to prohibit open carry because it's a home rule city, as is Denver.

Honestly, I doubt if you'll have a problem, but you should be aware of the City's position.

Edit: To clarify, this is city property.
    Last edited by Dynamite Rabbit; 08-03-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks for the responses.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

As far as I can tell (I go fishing there a lot), there's only one sign all the way towards the restroom where it says that no weapons allowed and so on and so forth. Because it's not an entrance (not that there really is one) the city can't enforce it's ban. I've been OCi'ing there all summer and not a single problem.

Going away party got canceled, so I won't be going to Longmont; but I appreciate the responses.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--