• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Party at McIntosh Lake in Longmont

MatieA

I am attending a going-away party at McIntosh Lake in Longmont ,and as I have been reading about Ordinances in the town, I am still unsure whether or not I can open carry at the lake. Anyone care to enlighten me on this subject?

Thanks.

denwego

Looking at the municipal code, I think you're OK. However, a fixed law isn't necessary; if you see a sign which says "no firearms" or "open carry of firearms is prohibited," that's enough to ban it. As it were, carry and just adjust on the off chance you need to!

Dynamite Rabbit

Longmont claims the power to prohibit open carry in parks (the ordinance actually prohibits all weapons, but it's clear that they can't prohibit concealed carry). The state statute that allows any city to ban open carry on city property requires signs at all entrances in order for them to prohibit open carry, but that park (and most, if not all parks in Longmont) don't have entrances -- they're open on all sides, so it doesn't seem that they can really prohibit it.

I asked the City Attorney specifically about this, and he says the City has the authority to prohibit open carry because it's a home rule city, as is Denver.

Honestly, I doubt if you'll have a problem, but you should be aware of the City's position.

Edit: To clarify, this is city property.

Last edited:

cleardiddion

As far as I can tell (I go fishing there a lot), there's only one sign all the way towards the restroom where it says that no weapons allowed and so on and so forth. Because it's not an entrance (not that there really is one) the city can't enforce it's ban. I've been OCi'ing there all summer and not a single problem.