• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mt. Pleasant's illegal ordinance....

B

Bikenut

Is... or has... anyone in the Mt. Pleasant area addressed this yet?

Parks & Recreation Ordinances

§ 97.18 RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES.

No person in a park shall:

(D) Hunting and firearms. Hunt, trap or pursue wildlife at any time. No person shall use carry, or possess firearms of any description, or air‑rifles, spring-guns, bow-and-arrows, slings, or any other form of weapon potentially dangerous to wildlife and human safety, or any instrument that can be loaded with and fire blank cartridges or any kind of trapping device. Shooting into park areas from beyond park boundaries is forbidden.

My 2 letters are being ignored so far. And I thought perhaps that is because where I got the ordinance from is outdated and it has already been changed? Or perhaps I'm just being ignored because I am from out of the area? Or perhaps I'm just being ignored?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I think you are just being ignored. This I find to be a common move (or should I say non-movement)? They just go mute and hope you go away. We may need to fill their council chambers & get some press/media involved. The majority of our members are from SE, MI so if an appearance "en masse" is needed we will have to coordinate it well. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
popkorn.gif

B

Bikenut

Sent another email today.... will wait a day or two before following up.

Anyone know if the meetings are held in a building that does, or does not, contain a court or court offices? And if one must sign up to speak at those meetings ahead of time?

jmlefler

You must pound away. It took me 9 months to get a similar ordinance changed in Texas Township. It wasn't until I attended a Township Board meeting, and called out the Supervisor personally for his lack of response, lack of action and lack of knowledge that anything got done.
Also, engage the Township attorney; do so at a Board meeting with MCL codes in hand and have her tell the Board/Supervisor that they are wrong.

If you're dealing with the City, I guess a City Council meeting and the City attorney would be appropriate.

Just my .02

Carry on

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

You must pound away. It took me 9 months to get a similar ordinance changed in Texas Township. It wasn't until I attended a Township Board meeting, and called out the Supervisor personally for his lack of response, lack of action and lack of knowledge that anything got done.
Also, engage the Township attorney; do so at a Board meeting with MCL codes in hand and have her tell the Board/Supervisor that they are wrong.

If you're dealing with the City, I guess a City Council meeting and the City attorney would be appropriate.

Just my .02

Carry on

I have not given up... and I won't give up... if it is necessary to go to a meeting I'll be there....

Anyone familiar with Mt. Pleasant's council meeting building? Any courts or court offices in it that would preclude OC'ing with CPL?

And the procedure to be able to speak?

Last edited by a moderator:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
No court at city hall from the addresses I can find, you should be Ok? If you go,maybe we can coordinate a carpool out of the hundreds of members we have in the SE MI area?

Mt. Pleasant City Hall 320 W. Broadway

300 N MAIN - COURT HOUSE Mt Pleasant

B

Bikenut

No court at city hall from the addresses I can find, you should be Ok? If you go,maybe we can coordinate a carpool out of the hundreds of members we have in the SE MI area?

Mt. Pleasant City Hall 320 W. Broadway

300 N MAIN - COURT HOUSE Mt Pleasant

The support is greatly appreciated!:D And if a visit is necessary then it shall be so... and posted here for all who wish to attend!

jmlefler

I have not given up... and I won't give up... if it is necessary to go to a meeting I'll be there....

Anyone familiar with Mt. Pleasant's council meeting building? Any courts or court offices in it that would preclude OC'ing with CPL?

And the procedure to be able to speak?

Good for you... you can do this!

Carry on

spikedawg

i'm from the mt. pleasant area and i'll check into this. i work afternoons so have most mornings free, so i'll make some calls if that gets me no where i will be stopping in to see them.

Tango125INF11b

Well ****. I have been OCing in the public parks for a couple months. Nothing has been said to me yet and I have ran into rangers and police there. The parks are (were?) considered public since I can remember. I guess I better stop until further notice.

Tango125INF11b

I was going to say, I used to work for the county as a Deputy for Animal Control a couple of years ago. When I had calls in the parks for animal violations we were under the stipulation that city parks were public. I never had heard anything about there being any changes. Thanks for the clarification stainless.