• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pennsylvania CONCEALED question

warlockmatized

I know this is an "open" carry site however I am one of those people that do NOT call the police for advice on carry of ANY kind. As such here I am.

I am finding conflicting information on the net and am hoping that a resident of Pennsylvania can set me straight. Penn does not honor my South Carolina concealed permit according to carryconcealed.nets information but here at OCDO it says Penn recognizes the permits of all 50 states for open/concealed carry in vehicles.

Not so much worried about OC'ing while I am in Penn on my trip but more concerned with transport and concealed carry.

Can anyone help me out?

virginiatuck

Vehicle Carry

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6106(b)(11)

Follow that link and read the law for yourself; don't take anyone else's word for it. I'm not an attorney. The exception you might be interested in is (b)(11), but you've really got to read paragraphs (a) and (b) for it all to make any sense.

If you want a second source with which to compare, you can browse the Pennsylvania statutes here, too: http://government.westlaw.com/linkedslice/default.asp?SP=pac-1000

P.S. this isn't as off-topic as you'd think, because Pennsylvania does not distinguish between OC and CC when in a vehicle. So even if someone wishes to OC in a vehicle, they need to meet one or more of the criteria in paragraph (b) to the letter.

warlockmatized

Looks like, to me anyways, I would be good to go via b (8), (11) and (15).

I am coming into PA for two days on my way back to S.C. after vacationing in Michigan for two weeks. I just want to make sure I transport within the color of the law while in PA. Could care less if I carry in ANY for or fashion for those two days.

Steve in PA

PA laws recognizes a valid and lawfully issued license/permit by any other state for the carry of a firearm in a vehicle.

However, once you step outside the vehicle if your out-of-state license/permit does not have reciprocity with PA, you cannot carry concealed.

You do have the option of carrying openly when you get out of the vehicle.

For the record, I am a police officer in PA.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
PA nonresident LTCF

If you have a week or more before you leave, I would highly recommend getting a Pennsylvania nonresident license to carry firearms from the Centre County sheriff. It costs only $26, is valid for 5 years, and would also allow you to carry in Georgia.

virginiatuck

Looks like, to me anyways, I would be good to go via b (8), (11) and (15).

I am coming into PA for two days on my way back to S.C. after vacationing in Michigan for two weeks. I just want to make sure I transport within the color of the law while in PA. Could care less if I carry in ANY for or fashion for those two days.

Be careful with (8); it's pretty specific... that's all I'm going to say about that.

I'm not so sure about (15). SC is under "category 5" on the PA AG web site: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

"Category 5: State does not recognize or grant licenses/permits to individuals from another state, currently does not extend reciprocal privileges to Pennsylvania license holders, or has not indicated current status."