• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL on Nightline tonight

VCDL President

Centurion
From VA-ALERT

The video in the promo link below is NOT what will be aired tonight, but deals with the non-existent "gun show loophole."

The story tonight, which should air on your local ABC station TONIGHT (Tuesday) at 11:30 PM, is about how grassroots gun groups, including VCDL, have taken a strong role in fighting for America's right to keep and bear arms.

There will probably be footage from a VCDL membership meeting that Nightline reporter Ely Brown attended a few months ago.

Here is the link to the promo and gun show video, and a small excerpt of the promo:

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/open-carry-gun-laws-pro-gun-grassroots-groups/story?id=11313221

SNIP

Pro-Gun Grassroots Groups Taking the Lead in Gun Rights Fight
Homespun Organizations Are Leaving the NRA Behind When Pushing for Broader Gun Laws

By TERRY MORAN and ELY BROWN
Aug. 3, 2010
The statistics tell the story: There are about 50 million gun owners in America. Close to half of all American households possess guns -- more than 200 million guns all told, and we buy 4.5 million more guns every year.

. . .

Now, more than ever, many gun owners are proudly, aggressively asserting their rights to keep and bear arms.

At a barbeque in Portland, Maine, a small grassroots organization meets to promote one goal: the right to carry weapons openly in public.

"We're just out here, exercising our rights," said event participant Scott Walker. "We're just here to have a good time."

Pro-gun grassroots groups used social networks, bulletin boards, Internet chat rooms and text messages to get the word out -- a testament to their influence, even without the backing of the umbrella organization. Van Cleave called the grassroots efforts "critical."

"More guns in more public places is what protects people," he said.

simmonsjoe

Starbucks lies!!!

Love how all the sudden the OPEN CARRY MOVEMENT PRESSURED STARBUCKS TO ALLOW CARRY.

In reality the Bradys attempted to BLOCK carry at starbucks.

Other than that it was OK. Way lacking in details. Until the end. The commentator made up some **** about when OCers have to say to people who are intimidated by them. The reason the commentator had to say it is they couldn't find anyone to say that in person. I feel it was an intentional misrepresentation.

curtiswr

I noticed what Joe mentioned and this: they were really trying to play up divisiveness within the gun rights community.

nova

Love how all the sudden the OPEN CARRY MOVEMENT PRESSURED STARBUCKS TO ALLOW CARRY.

Other than that it was OK. Way lacking in details. Until the end. The commentator made up some **** about when OCers have to say to people who are intimidated by them. The reason the commentator had to say it is they couldn't find anyone to say that in person. I feel it was an intentional misrepresentation.

Exactly. Starbucks never prohibited carry before, and it was the antis who tried to get them to ban carry. Starbucks never changed a thing.

Saw a few OCDO members, as well as Guns and Ammo Warehouse's sign at the gun show.

And geeze can't people stop using those generic holsters that flop all over the place when they walk?

eta: lol at the guy saying he feels unsafe around the people carrying guns...He was the one there with a sign protesting the get together...he chose to be around the people carrying the guns.

Last edited:

The Donkey

Pretty good story Prez:

Most of it was fairly well balanced -- ABC seems to have gone out of their way to give OC advocates equal time, without the eye-rolling introductions. Liked it except the part about how pro-gun groups were pressuring Starbucks to open up to open carry -- when the pressure actually came from anti-gun groups to close the stores to carriers.

Also would have been nice if they mentioned OCDO.

VCDL President

Centurion
I noticed what Joe mentioned and this: they were really trying to play up divisiveness within the gun rights community.

Perhaps - divisiveness sells as it makes a story more interesting. On the other hand they have me getting a show of hands of all the NRA members and life members. Most of the room. And it's not like we are picketing the NRA - we are just walking around them if they are moving too slow or in the wrong direction.

curtiswr

Perhaps - divisiveness sells as it makes a story more interesting. On the other hand they have me getting a show of hands of all the NRA members and life members. Most of the room. And it's not like we are picketing the NRA - we are just walking around them if they are moving too slow or in the wrong direction.

Very true. I was somewhat relieved that they had that in there, even if the reporter did use strong words/phrases in illustrating discontent leading up to it.

2a4all

No one refuted ABC's claim that the OC movement pushed OC on Starbucks. Starbuck's CEO tried to give the impression he (his company) didn't want to be in the middle of the pro/anti gun rights debate. That they "follow the law" is a good thing, but I wouldn't call them a supporter.

simmonsjoe

Nice phrasing.

Perhaps - divisiveness sells as it makes a story more interesting. On the other hand they have me getting a show of hands of all the NRA members and life members. Most of the room. And it's not like we are picketing the NRA - [highlight]we are just walking around them if they are moving too slow or in the wrong direction.[/highlight]
That is a good way to put it.

simmonsjoe

Even more-so

Pretty good story Prez:

Most of it was fairly well balanced -- ABC seems to have gone out of their way to give OC advocates equal time, without the eye-rolling introductions. Liked it except the part about how pro-gun groups were pressuring Starbucks to open up to open carry -- when the pressure actually came from anti-gun groups to close the stores to carriers.

Also would have been nice if they mentioned OCDO.
Did you notice how the interview with Starbucks guy was edited so that you couldn't tell who was pressuring them?
I feel that was absolutely wrong of them to do.

Last edited:

KaosDad

"...and we buy 4.5 million more guns every year."

Is there a place to get a break down of that? From waht I understand a "gun" is the part of the firearm with the serial number on it, correct? So, does that 4.5 million include stripped lowers? Inert collector's guns? What is the real number of firearms sold - as in modern manufacture, ready to shoot?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"...and we buy 4.5 million more guns every year."

Is there a place to get a break down of that? From waht I understand a "gun" is the part of the firearm with the serial number on it, correct? So, does that 4.5 million include stripped lowers? Inert collector's guns? What is the real number of firearms sold - as in modern manufacture, ready to shoot?

I'm not positive, but IIRC that's based on the number of 4377s that BAFTEIOU reports every year.

stay safe.