• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

THAT Was Interesting! May have stopped something before it started

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Tonight, on the way to work, I stopped by the 7-11, as usual, to get a couple of taquitos and a drink to munch on in the car. As I was pulling into the parking lot a couple of young guys walked into the store. About 30 seconds later I walked in and noticed that they were walking the aisles, not really looking at what was on them. Keeping an eye on them I walked over to the fountain and got my soda. As I was heading back to the register I saw the two guys heading out the door, not having bought anything. It makes me wonder if maybe they saw me OCing and decided not to do anything stupid.

jbone

Sounds like a little recon for thier next, or someone else's visit.

Ruby

Or maybe they didn't see what they were looking for. I've done the same thing when a store didn't have what I wanted and I was short on time. And no, I wasn't planning on robbing the place. Sometimes I think we let our imaginations run away with us and we assume things that aren't true. JMO

joejoejoe

Having worked retail all my life, you can usually spot the no-gooders under a few circumstances.

1: They never acknowledge you when they enter the store, even when you say hi.

2: They "look" randomly for product. Usually the products have nothing to do with eachother (i.e. they look at cards, then they look at silverware).

3. They have come in multiple times without purchasing.

4. They attempt to create distractions (like needing TOO much customer service).

Anyways, seeing as how it was a mini-mart, it is a prime target for rookies thieves who grab and go. If they were in and out in under a minute, maybe they did steal... If they loitered around for 3-4 minutes, saw you, then loitered and took off you could have stopped something before it started OR it is a coincidence they just glanced your way before leaving. Like the previous post said "YOU'LL NEVER KNOW!!"

Kudos on being alert to that though!

Joe~

Ruby

I have worked in retail from time to time. The only time I experienced something similar was a couple of years ago when I was working for a retail toy store in Southcenter Mall. It was close to closing time and my manager had left the store to go throw the trash, leaving me by myself. Four guys walked in, I greeted them and asked if I could help. They said no and walked to the back of the store. I could just TELL they were not there to buy toys. I became somewhat anxious and positioned myself halfway between the counter and the door. I determined I would run out the door if anything started to happen; they could figure out how to open the computer controlled till. They only stayed 3 or 4 minutes; I got the impression that maybe they were hiding from someone. They did not buy anything, as I knew they wouldn't. As far as I know, they didn't steal anything either. During the course of my work there, over 9 months time, I never had another customer/s that made me anxious for my safety, nor have I experienced anything like that before or since. Sometimes, it's best to pay attention to "that feeling." So, Bookman, if that is what you experienced, my apologies, I'm not making light of your experience. I also know how easy it is to imagine things too. Neither one of us will ever know what those people were up to!!