Thread: Denver CC with CHP on city property?

Denver CC with CHP on city property?

One of the major reasons I got my CHP is to be able to OC and not worry about Federal School Zones. A side benefit is I can carry in Denver. I know you can't carry into Federal buildings, but does Denver's pre-emption allow them to ban CC on city property other than the Capitol? E.g. museums, rec centers, libraries, etc.

Not with any more capability than any other municipality. If metal detection is placed; you're subject to the disarmament. I would bet a few dollars that Denver has posted detection.

They can't restrict CC except as allowable under state law. That doesn't mean they don't post signs anyway. There is a No Guns sign at the zoo which is unenforceable when it comes to CC.

Ok, so no automatic invalidation on CHP just because the building is "city property" like with Federal?

Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    Ok, so no automatic invalidation on CHP just because the building is "city property" like with Federal?
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by cscitney87 View Post
    If metal detection is placed; you're subject to the disarmament. I would bet a few dollars that Denver has posted detection.
    It's not just metal detectors -- it has to be a manned checkpoint.

(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which:

(a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building;

(b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and

(c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.

Last edited by cscitney87; 08-05-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite Rabbit View Post
    It's not just metal detectors -- it has to be a manned checkpoint.

(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which:

(a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building;

(b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and

(c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.
    Exactly right. Denver has no more control of CCW holders than any other city or town. It is full state preemption.