• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Story on Open Carry on last night's "Nightline"

Lovenox

NRA does NOT advocate OC

I wasn't aware of that until last night, and I am a Life Time NRA Member. I took a leap of faith and assumed that the NRA was "pro-anything-gun". None the less, I don't see this as a division in the greater scheme. It is one thing not to advocate it is another to be against. I am OK with the NRA posture of "non-advocacy", but when it morphs into something else then it will become a problem for me.

DoomGoober

Every organization fights for what it thinks is an obtainable goal and fights against overreaching. Once the goal is achieved, another organization comes along and pushes the line forward, often becoming hostile to the old organization.

NRA - Pro: gun ownership, Anti: Open Carry.
OpenCarry.org - Pro: Open Carry, Anti: Long Gun Open Carry.
??? - Pro: Long Gun Open Carry, Anti: ????

Lovenox

Every organization fights for what it thinks is an obtainable goal and fights against overreaching. Once the goal is achieved, another organization comes along and pushes the line forward, often becoming hostile to the old organization.

NRA - Pro: gun ownership, Anti: Open Carry.
OpenCarry.org - Pro: Open Carry, Anti: Long Gun Open Carry.
??? - Pro: Long Gun Open Carry, Anti: ????

Good points. I believe however, the greater good being the wholesale defense of the 2A. We can argue the particulars later, but we must maintain a front of unity in that vein in order to perserve that right. BTW, is the NRA actually anti-open carry or are they a non-advocate? A big difference IMHO

killchain

Hahaha.

Brady bunch is still pissed about open carrying in Starbucks. Haven't they run out of money yet?

I love how Nightline paints the NRA and smaller groups as having a "blood feud" like they're fighting with knives out behind the bar.

Lovenox

Hahaha.

Brady bunch is still pissed about open carrying in Starbucks. Haven't they run out of money yet?

I love how Nightline paints the NRA and smaller groups as having a "blood feud" like they're fighting with knives out behind the bar.

Yup. And when the speaker at the open carry group asks how many were members of the NRA most everyone seated raised thier hands.
The Brady Bunch is an irrevelant group of people.

amzbrady

Always comes back to the starbucks thing. Always make us look like we are the ones that started the battle to carry into starbucks. It all started with an open carrier doing what he does everyday. Openly carrying everywhere he goes. Hejust happened to walk off the street and into a starbucks to get a coffee, and someone complaigned and they started the whole contreversy.

UtahRSO

Please note that NONE of the pro-gun/pro-open-carry people bad-mouthed the NRA. The only anti-NRA comments came from either the Brady Bunch spokesman, or from the media reporter. This is a good way for them to split us up. I'm a proud NRA member, and an open carry advocate. These two things are not at odds with each other.

Lovenox

Please note that NONE of the pro-gun/pro-open-carry people bad-mouthed the NRA. The only anti-NRA comments came from either the Brady Bunch spokesman, or from the media reporter. This is a good way for them to split us up. I'm a proud NRA member, and an open carry advocate. These two things are not at odds with each other.

Great point!

G20-IWB24/7

On occasion, I've seen where the NRA focuses more on hunting/sporting than I would personally prefer when referencing protecting rights (as I see nowhere that mentions 'popping Bambi' in the Bill of Rights) instead of the real issue which is the protection of the RKBA for individual self-defense purposes. I choose to give my money to the Second Amemdment Foundation (SAF) instead, as I've seen that they are much more focused on the issues that are important to me. Personal choice. And I'd never discourage membership in the NRA. I just like SAF more. Just personal choice.

-G20

amlevin

On occasion, I've seen where the NRA focuses more on hunting/sporting than I would personally prefer when referencing protecting rights (as I see nowhere that mentions 'popping Bambi' in the Bill of Rights) instead of the real issue which is the protection of the RKBA for individual self-defense purposes. I choose to give my money to the Second Amemdment Foundation (SAF) instead, as I've seen that they are much more focused on the issues that are important to me. Personal choice. And I'd never discourage membership in the NRA. I just like SAF more. Just personal choice.

-G20

It is not just OC that the NRA seems to be against. Many ranges that cater to NRA programs also are against any kind of handgun "carry" while shooting there. All guns have to be treated as "range guns" and have the actions open at all times they are not actually being shot. No rapid fire and no "silhouete" targets, just plain old bullseyes. One shot at a time in AR-15's.

Lovenox

-G20

Thanks for the heads up. That being said is it possible to belong to both groups and not "overextend" one's self? In other words, I want to make sure "all bases" are covered; OC, CC, ownership, etc but it seems that I have to belong to a patchwork of groups in order to ensure the entire package is protected. Do you see what I am trying to say?

Leatherneck

Side note

not to derail the subject or split the group but...
Isn't the NRA now backing a politician who has anti-gun history?

I was looking at an NRA membership mailer I got and was trying to remember what was said in another thread. Don't even remember what thread it was in, so I bring my question here.

Ruby

not to derail the subject or split the group but...
Isn't the NRA now backing a politician who has anti-gun history?

I was looking at an NRA membership mailer I got and was trying to remember what was said in another thread. Don't even remember what thread it was in, so I bring my question here.

Yes, they are/were, Harry Reid, who never met a piece of anti gun legislation he didn't like. All because he got them a range in Nevada or some such thing.

amlevin

They might "advocate" for OC but they appear not to like legislation that interferes with it.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5989
Because any legislation that interferes with OC can ultimately effect other areas as well. They may not like OC but to deny it may well deny other carry rights as well.

Ever hear the story about the camel that got its nose in the tent?