Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Story on Open Carry on ABCs "Nightline"

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Olympia
    Posts
    539

    Story on Open Carry on ABCs "Nightline"


  2. #2
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461
    I saw this. PVC did a good job again. ABC was anti-gun...again. Someone from the Brady Bunch looked like a sniveling weasel... again.
    Last edited by buster81; 08-05-2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: gun not fun

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    229
    I watched this crap. I get sick of how they portray gun owners.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    302
    I thought it was actually a pretty good piece. The anchors were obviously anti, but the Brady guy and the protesting anti's were actually given significantly less time. The OC advocates featured, both the speakers and those in the background, did an excellent job of representing the cause and displayed the diversity of the movement. This was especially surprising as most news pieces seem to go out of their way to cut out all the women, minorities, etc, that don't fit the "overweight, middle-aged, rural, white guy" bill.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667
    I think that all things considered this was an amazingly positive piece. For starting it off with a workplace shooting, they truly moved away from that. The woman that made the piece called me earlier in the day to tell me that it was going to be on. She also wanted to assure me that it had already been scheduled to run and that they weren't just running it because of the workplace shooting.

    I fail to see how the people were obviously anti? Perhaps your failing to see that today we are beginning to get some friends in the media. I know for a fact that the woman who did the piece on my organization wasn't anti at all. She was very passionate and curios, an excellent journalist! I was actually extremely surprised by how positive she was. She truly listened to the facts and began to form an opinion based upon fact, not emotion. She also called me to get a quote about how the Brady Campaign had called me a "radical". They failed to state my response because I don't think it fit what they thought I would say? I replied with "It's just sad when they have to resort to name calling".

    Remember fellas, we are just everyday people and the media, as well as everyone else is beginning to see this. I can definitely see them saying: "Hey, those guys were really cool! I would definitely hangout with them in my daily life! They're really nice people too!" We are winning guys... everyday a little bit more... everyday. Only thing I didn't like about the piece was the fact that they tried to make us look like we were against the NRA. Is the NRA the best? No, but they're the best we have and we are NOT going to leave them in the cold and in most aspects they won't leave us out there either. But you must realize that they need to be a safe-haven for all firearms owners. We are a much more nimble, faster paced group that can react at a moments notice to different circumstances occurring in our state. We need to be around on the state level, just as much as the NRA needs to be around on the national level. Ok, I'm done my little rant... it's late at night and I need to get to bed so I'll be able to function at work!
    Last edited by shanebelanger; 08-13-2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: people afraid or long paragraphs

  7. #7
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Just some advice; people will be more likely to read your post if you break it down into bite sized pieces.
    Last edited by Jack House; 08-11-2010 at 11:56 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Man, don't you remember...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Just some advice; people will be more likely to read your post if you break it down into bite sized pieces.
    ...the good old days of paragraphs and such?
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  9. #9
    Regular Member Brent Evertz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    78
    Its seems to me that Nightline is on the fence about gun ownership. This video didn't really give off any indicators that they are for or against. They interviewed people from both sides.

    I remember watching a Nightline special on open carry in Virginia. They seemed to lean towards gun-owners on the matter. It would seem to me that nightline is just like a majority of people out there that are unsure about it all. Let's make sure we're continuing what we're doing and let's educate the public on what guns really mean.

    I recommend you guys read a book called "More Guns, Less Crime" by John R lott Jr. It will give you some great arguments backed by years and years of statistics that should help educate those who don't know about what guns actually do, when placed in the hands of law-abiding citizens.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." -Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Just some advice; people will be more likely to read your post if you break it down into bite sized pieces.
    yeah, well what do you expect after I've worked all day and posted that last minute before I walked up to bed? Either way I got out what I wanted to say.

  11. #11
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    If you "get out what you wanted to say"

    Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    yeah, well what do you expect after I've worked all day and posted that last minute before I walked up to bed? Either way I got out what I wanted to say.
    but nobody bothered to read it, does it really count?

    Cause I know I didn't read it.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  12. #12
    Regular Member Brent Evertz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    but nobody bothered to read it, does it really count?

    Cause I know I didn't read it.
    That makes two then.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." -Thomas Jefferson

  13. #13
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    yeah, well what do you expect after I've worked all day and posted that last minute before I walked up to bed? Either way I got out what I wanted to say.
    I'm not trying to be rude or an ass, I'm merely trying to help you. It is better for your point, and the people reading it, if you break it down into paragraphs. A wall of text like that is much harder to read and most people simply aren't going to bother.


    Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    I thought that all things considered this was an amazingly positive piece.

    For starting it off with a workplace shooting they truly moved away from that. The woman that made the piece called me earlier in the day to tell me that it was going to be on. She also wanted to assure me that it had already been scheduled to run and that they weren't just running it because of the workplace shooting.

    I fail to see how the people were obviously anti? Perhaps your failing to see that today we are beginning to get some friends in the media. I know for a fact that the woman who did the piece on my organization wasn't anti at all. She was very passionate and curios, an excellent journalist! I was actually extremely surprised by how positive she was. She truly listened to the facts and began to form an opinion based upon fact, not emotion.

    She also called me to get a quote about how the Brady Campaign had called me a "radical". They failed to state my response because I don't think it fit what they thought I would say? I replied with "It's just sad when they have to resort to name calling".

    Remember fellas, we are just everyday people and the media as well as everyone else is beginning to see this. I can definitely see them saying: "Hey, those guys were really cool! I would definitely hangout with them in my daily life! They're really nice people too!" We are winning guys... everyday a little bit more... everyday.

    Only thing I didn't like about the piece was the fact that they tried to make us look like we were against the NRA. Is the NRA the best? No, but they're the best we have and we are NOT going to leave them in the cold and in most aspects they won't leave us out there either. But you must realize that they need to be a safe-haven for all firearms owners. We are a much more nimble, faster paced group that can react at a moments notice to different circumstances occurring in our state.

    We need to be around on the state level, just as much as the NRA needs to be around on the national level. Ok, I'm done my little rant... it's late at night and I need to get to bed so I'll be able to function at work!
    See how much easier it is to read?

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude or an ass, I'm merely trying to help you. It is better for your point, and the people reading it, if you break it down into paragraphs. A wall of text like that is much harder to read and most people simply aren't going to bother.



    See how much easier it is to read?
    I edited it just a minute ago... not into as many paragraphs as you though. Hey, I'm a college kid walls of text are my life! haha... either way, yes it's easier to read but I just didn't have time, nor is it even that well written. It was simply something that I plastered down on my way to bed before work again the next day. Next time I'll make sure that I have more time, and form a much more articulate piece.

  15. #15
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    I edited it just a minute ago... not into as many paragraphs as you though. Hey, I'm a college kid walls of text are my life! haha... either way, yes it's easier to read but I just didn't have time, nor is it even that well written. It was simply something that I plastered down on my way to bed before work again the next day. Next time I'll make sure that I have more time, and form a much more articulate piece.
    *FacePalm*
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  16. #16
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    *FacePalm*
    Hey, lets see you go through some of my pre-med classes without having a wall of text dealing with different drugs and their interactions with the human body...

  17. #17
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    Hey, lets see you go through some of my pre-med classes without having a wall of text dealing with different drugs and their interactions with the human body...
    *facepalm*
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  18. #18
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    So far, my favorite comment on that story has to be this one:

    "Bullets don't kill people.

    I set one on the coffee table last night, pointed directly at my wife, and it didn't budge. We even tried provoking it into some kind of violent action, and it just sat there.

    Thinking it might be hesitant to take violent action, I put about 20 more on the table next to it to provide some anonimity. Still nothing. Finally, we made it watch several gratuitously violent movies featuring many many guns, and it just sat there - staring, as if contemplating its own existance.

    Our final test involved putting all of the bullets on the nightstand and went to sleep, thinking they might prefer the cover of night to do their dirty work. When we woke up in the morning, all but one of the bullets was still on the [nightstand].

    I found the rogue bullet on the floor, making a pointless attempt at trying to remove itself from an obviously volatile situation. Our conclusion - the bullets - all of them - must be somehow defective since both us and all of our dogs survived the night without any injuries or deaths."
    posted by: LoveMyEBR Aug-10

  19. #19
    Regular Member Vbp6US's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lolifornia
    Posts
    7
    Wow that Hennigan guy was such a moron, imo.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leeds, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    786
    I thought it was great. We'll just keep putting the truth out there, reminding them that it is all legal, and watch the antis make fools of themselves.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Eeyore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    on the move
    Posts
    558

    Could be a lot worse

    Seemed mostly balanced. The sentence that caught my eye was: "Starbucks was the target of a pressure campaign to allow customers to openly carry their weapons in states where it's legal to do so -- that's 43 of the 50 states."

    Au contraire. Starbucks was the target of a pressure campaign to stop allowing customers to openly carry their weapons in states where it's legal to do so. They did not buckle to that pressure, to their credit.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    *facepalm*
    Yep

  23. #23
    Regular Member OldCurlyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Evertz View Post
    Its seems to me that Nightline is on the fence about gun ownership. This video didn't really give off any indicators that they are for or against. They interviewed people from both sides.

    I remember watching a Nightline special on open carry in Virginia. They seemed to lean towards gun-owners on the matter. It would seem to me that nightline is just like a majority of people out there that are unsure about it all. Let's make sure we're continuing what we're doing and let's educate the public on what guns really mean.

    I recommend you guys read a book called "More Guns, Less Crime" by John R lott Jr. It will give you some great arguments backed by years and years of statistics that should help educate those who don't know about what guns actually do, when placed in the hands of law-abiding citizens.
    Night line is NOT on the fence when they misreport the facts.

    They said Starbucks was on the wrong end of a pressure campaign to ALLOW open carry where it is legal.

    This is what I commented about that:

    "Starbucks was the target of a pressure campaign to allow customers to openly carry their weapons in states where it's legal to do so -- that's 43 of the 50 states."

    The above is not true, actually it is a lie. If you read the other stories on the subject, they all agree that the pressure campaign still is to get Starbucks to DISALLOW customers to open carry where it it legal. This is but one example of the way the so called major networks work at misinforming and spreading propaganda to the public.

    The only reason I ever watch the network news is to watch the local channels news.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

    Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

  24. #24
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lenexa, Kansas
    Posts
    423
    Some of the information stated in this video with the reporter was just a bit off. Yes people have there right to say "I hate guns" or "I dont want open carry" well considering the fact that alot of crimes happen because of NO PROTECTION. Maybe increasing testing for us open carry people might strike them down or maybe they can just stop being children. I honestly dont see ANY harm with people in open carry. Considering the state laws and the already background checks that we all go through. The fact that people have been killed by guns does not justify a reason to banish open carry or even to own a firearm. If thats the reasoning then we should ban automobiles considering how many deaths there with drunk driving and DUMB drivers. Sorry for the rant but just lost my cap and blew pressure.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •