• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lead ammo ban sought; could hurt shooters, game agencies

Dave Workman

Lead ammo ban sought from EPA threatens gun owners, game agencies, say critics
“There is simply no scientific evidence that the use of traditional ammunition is having an adverse impact on wildlife populations that would require restricting or banning the use of traditional ammunition beyond current limitations, such as the scientifically based restriction on waterfowl hunting,” said NSSF President Steve Sanetti.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seat...hreatens-gun-owners-game-agencies-say-critics
Or try this:
http://tinyurl.com/2eujfdd

daddy4count

Lead and lead dust are problems for firing range employees:
http://www.rangeinfo.org/resource_library/facility_mngmnt/environment/Lead-OSHA.pdf

I think it's a topic at worth least discussing.
Much like airborne hazards are a problem for bridge painters and toll booth attendants... you take normal precautions until your body reaches tlv and then you find a new job. I know dozens of people who have experienced this from chemical exposure in multiple fields... not one of them from a shooting range. Workplace hazard? Yes, but every place has them. You deal with them or move on.

To blame lead bullets and fishing weights for environmental issues is a bit ridiculous. Both have been in the environment for generations. I would posit that plastic lures, food garbage and human pollution are as much to blame for the poor fishies... but then they aren't tied to a polarizing topic like firearms.

SayWhat

Besides the regular hunting and target shooting implications, this will also affect cowboy action shooting (SASS)..

TechnoWeenie

Switching to steel core is a no-go, because IIRC, BATFE considers steel core to be 'armor piercing'......

Which leaves... copper? tin?....

I mean, seriously?

You're shooting a deer, and they want to complain that the deer could die from lead poisoning?

STFU.

amlevin

Switching to steel core is a no-go, because IIRC, BATFE considers steel core to be 'armor piercing'......

Which leaves... copper? tin?....

I mean, seriously?

You're shooting a deer, and they want to complain that the deer could die from lead poisoning?

STFU.

Sorry but that's not true. SS-109 ammo for the AR-15/M-16 is perfectly legal. It has a "steel" core but is not armor piercing. AP ammo is specially constructed with a combination of components. The "steel" in the core is often tungsten. As for "armor penetrating", I have some 3/8" steel target plates that don't even slow down both M-193 (standard) ammo from my AR-15 as well as 175gr Boat Tailed Hollow Points from my .308. My pistol ammo on the other hand doesn't even dent these plates.

Lead free ammo, should the ban go through will more likely than not be a combination of solid copper bullets or heavy copper jackets with a non-lead compound for extra weight. Barnes calls their core material "silvex". It is most likely a bismuth based metal.

In Handguns, any bullet core harder than lead or any bullet with a jacket that comprises more than 25% of its weight is considered an AP bullet (remember I said handgun, not rifle). For this reason I would expect all handgun "lead free" bullets to be either a frangible material (so it is not harder than lead) or comprised of a bismuth based metal alloy, just like some of the shot substitutes available today.

Don't expect to see any steel cored bullets, not because they might be considered AP, it is just a hard material to work with when you consider the bullet manufacturing process. All lead bullets are first molded and then pressed through a die to lube and size. Jacketed bullets are swaged by pressing a lead core and jacket together in a die. Steel requires much higher pressures to do so and is not as heavy. Doesn't expand either.

Beretta92FSLady

Your page says that I "trigger the profanity filter."

Here is my profane posting that I meant to post to your page:

Groups can petition whatever Government entity they wish, either individually or as a coalition; that does not mean they have a snowballs chance in heck of being heard, and taken seriously outside of pro and anti's rattling their saber's.

Lead had been used for many hundreds of years. "Green ammunition" is a misleading piece of terminology, all components of current ammunition, technically, are made from green materials.

Especially brass-cased ammunition. Brass-cased ammunition are very green, you can reload the casings many time, especially if you do not shoot hot loads. Every metal component of ammunition is from the earth.

As much as I like the idea of a deer passing from lead poison, unfortunately, it would take a lot of consumed lead to pass an animal.