• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting on state land?

rix937

Howdy!
I was wondering what the protocol is on public land? It looks like out in Powhatan theres a 4500 acre space. Can you just go out and shoot there, or do you need some form of hunting license?

I'm just looking to do a little plinking without going to some goofy range :)

Sorry of this has already been covered, I didn't see it when I searched.

EDIT: thanks :)

Last edited:

67GT390FB

the short answer is unless you are hunting you can not discharge a firearm on Va Dept of Game and inland fisheries (DGIF) property, The exception to the rule are the designated firing ranges(long gun only) located on specific DGIF properties, the one closest to Powhatan would be in Amelia County. Please go to the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries website and find out the locations and rules for the shooting ranges located on DGIF lands.

link to recreational activities allowed on Wildlife Management Areas(WMA):

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/wmarecreation.pdf

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Howdy!
I was wondering what the protocol is on public land? It looks like out in Powhatan theres a 4500 acre space. Can you just go out and shoot there, or do you need some form of hunting license?

I'm just looking to do a little plinking without going to some goofy range :)

Sorry of this has already been covered, I didn't see it when I searched.

Ask around and you should be able to find someone who has an acre or two joining the public land.
There are usually lots of little residual pieces like that.

Offer to shoot dog hunters for them:lol: