Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank you to those of you who notified me about the Washington Post article

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Thank you to those of you who notified me about the Washington Post article

I've had a few phone calls and messages about the article regarding me and our training that appeared in today's Washington Post.

Suffice it to say that I am writing a reply. Thanks to everyone who let me know that the article was out there, since the reporter did not identify himself and tell me that he was writing an article beforehand.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Link?

EDIT: Found it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...080306725.html

What a rediculous article.
    Last edited by DrMark; 08-04-2010 at 06:14 PM.

It is rather humorous.

Anyone who has taken any of my classes knows that I often inject humor into my discussions. It helps students remember things. Mr. Malloy seems to have taken bits and pieces of things that I said and twisted them to fit his agenda.

My only regret is that he didn't mention the company name. I could use the free advertising.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Simply and utterly moronic.

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    My only regret is that he didn't mention the company name. I could use the free advertising.
    Don't worry... check the comments.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I never comment on those stupid things....but I think I'll break that rule.

The comments are funny. He has found not one supporter.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Mine may be removed..

Is "Monkey with a football" a personal attack?

Nothing like a good WaPo hit piece on Virginia and guns.

F him. Don't like the way we do things here, stay on the other side of the Potomac in your anti-gun dreamland and tell your associates to quit bringing your criminals into our state.

eta: looks like they deleted all the comments. Glad to see a newspaper supporting free speech, as long as it is theirs.
    Last edited by nova; 08-04-2010 at 08:27 PM.

So much for honesty in journalism. This guy approached your course with anything but an open mind and decided to write a hack job to editorialize his point of view. And you wonder why many informed Americans do not trust "mainstream media."

Aw. I missed all the comments.

Not an article, a hatchet job

You have to wonder about the morality and ethics of someone who would fly a false flag to make a political point. Could you imagine a pro-rights advocate attending a Brady Bunch meeting without making his position clear? Oh wait, they kick out those who don't agree with them.

I can tell that he is a **** just by looking at his picture.

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    looks like they deleted all the comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Mine may be removed..

Is "Monkey with a football" a personal attack?
    The comments are still there... including the monkey with a football, billyhill.
    Last edited by DrMark; 08-04-2010 at 09:32 PM.

I'm sure Dan Casey is very proud.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    The comments are still there... including the monkey with a football, billyhill.
    I can't see them. It might be NoScript blocking off a lot of the scripts running on the page, including the ones used by the comment field.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I can't see them. It might be NoScript blocking off a lot of the scripts running on the page, including the ones used by the comment field.
    Here's the direct link to the comments, but they do go through some sort of a loading process, which is, like you said, almost certainly script intensive. The article can be relatively static, but the comments are gonna be in a database somewhere.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn..._Comments.html

TFred

Founder's Club Member
    ...and they wounder why print media subscriptions and readership are falling to near zero revenues. I stopped reading the com-Post quite some time ago as they gave even the fly by night amateur journalists a bad name.

0 Comments
    BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT

probably my noscript

I got my shot in.

paramedic70002 wrote:
    Since he likes those scenarios so much, here's another: Say you're sitting at your desk glowing about some inane and biased article that was just published. The FBI "press police" show up and seize your press permit, and you are charged with "misrepresenting the facts in violation of the First Amendment." The Bill of Rights - not so funny anymore.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Gentlemen;

This is why that quaint little newspaper known as the Washington Post is called "The Washington Compose" or sometimes, "Pravada on the Potomac" up here. We know it is a biased and racist news organ with reporting not to be considered factual by anyone of a serious mind.

Oh Lord. I just checked out the byline of the article and see it was written by Courtland Milloy. This man has written articles in the past which can best be described as the rantings of a virulently racist lunatic. So anything he writes should be highly regarded as suspect.

The Compose used to have an editorialist named Richard Cohen who would from time to time, write very anti-gun articles in the paper. I got a little fed up with it so I wrote a letter to the Letters to the Editor section admonishing him and something more. You see In the very early 80's, he had written an article in the Sunday Compose magazine section which admitted that he had wished he had a gun because of an incident he had experienced. Since I knew how this man felt and was familiar with many of his articles, I decided to save this one just in case I needed it sometime down the road (I still have it).

Well in my letter, I reminded him of this little article, and how at one time he was very much in favor of him having a handgun for his protection. Hypocrisy you think? Could it be? The Compose, unlike the Washington Times, didn't print my letter - I wonder why.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 08-05-2010 at 08:11 AM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Since I fully expect the Washington Post to shorten my response, I have posted it here in its entirety.

I read Courtland Milloy's article from Wednesday, August 4, 2010 titled "Gun safety training leaves much preparedness to be desired." Since I am the firearms instructor that Mr. Milloy lampooned in the article, I felt compelled to write.

Had Mr. Milloy identified himself as a reporter, I would have made every effort to answer any questions that he had, or address his concerns regarding an armed society defending itself against crime. Mr. Milloy did not take the opportunity to speak to me. Since his article leaves out mention of every positive lesson taught during the class, one has to wonder if Mr. Milloy ever really intended to write an objective, informative piece on concealed carry, or whether he just got behind the wheel of his 2010 Yellow Journalism and drove along at breakneck speed, only to have a hit and run accident with the Second Amendment.

Mr. Milloy gives the reader just enough information to draw the wrong conclusion. He mentions the "woman with a butcher knife" but doesn't tell you that the main emphasis on that scenario was that not every situation is best handled by firing a shot. Mr. Milloy also missed the lessons on the causes of firearm-related accidents, properly securing your firearms at home, teaching gun safety to your children and family, and every other reference to being a responsible and safe gun owner. One has to wonder what he was doing to have missed all those portions of the class. Was he too busy proofreading his obviously preconceived article, or perhaps daydreaming about winning a Pulitzer?

It always amazes me that some members of the Fourth Estate will use their First Amendment rights to free speech to trample on others' Second Amendment rights to keep and bear arms. It happens every time. That's okay, Mr. Milloy. I hold no ill will towards you. Everyone has a purpose in life. When I stand up to crime with my handgun, defending my family at home, or perhaps you and your family at a restaurant or other public place, I'll be glad that there is someone like you with a pen and notepad in hand to write about it. Obviously, you've got your hands full with that.

Jim Reynolds
    President / Chief Firearms Instructor
    Proactive Shooters, LLC
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Thumbs up

Wonder if they will print that in the letters to the editor section?

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Wonder if they will print that in the letters to the editor section?
    Probably not.

That's why I also emailed it to him directly.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Since I fully expect the Washington Post to shorten my response, I have posted it here in its entirety.

Well if it doesn't show up in the LTE for a few days, you can always go back and post it in the comments section of the article. At least some of the readers would see it then. I wonder if appearing in the comments would keep them from publishing as a stand-alone LTE?

TFred

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast