• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Identifying and NOT supporting anti-OC businesses.

Underdog

I think we all would agree not to support (do business with) anti- OC businesses.

The question I have is what if it's a gunshop, gunsmith, or gun forum?

I know my answer what is yours?

KRM59

the question has nothing to do with property rights.

I guess it would depend on your resolve to support what you believe in. Personal i have already discontinued doing business with one "unfriendly to Guns" establishment. But as for every place thats simular, i will take it on a case by case basis.

Underdog

Specifics

I will try to be more specific.

I'm asking about businesses that revolve around selling and or providing gun related services.

I am also not talking about being on their property either.

It's companies that will happily take our money for gun related purchases that turn around bash all things OC related that I am talking about.

Jack House

Now there's an obtuse point!
I agree with him. The question has nothing to do with property rights. Yes, you have the right to deny me access to your property if I refuse to abide by your rules. However, I also have the right to refuse your service should I not like those rules.

zack991

I think we all would agree not to support (do business with) anti- OC businesses.

If you know any address of a business that does not support our rights add them to this search engine. as well as those who do. The more members here add to this the more detailed the map becomes for gun owners.

http://www.friendorfoe.us/

daddy4count

I know a lot of businesses who are anti-gun, anti-OC... but none of them are gun shops.

Personally, if a gun shop did not want me to carry my gun at their shop I would go to another one. It isn't like they are hard to find..?

Seems silly though, right?

That's like a mechanic who doesn't want you to drive to his shop, or a cigar bar that doesn't allow smoking...

eye95

I agree with him. The question has nothing to do with property rights. Yes, you have the right to deny me access to your property if I refuse to abide by your rules. However, I also have the right to refuse your service should I not like those rules.

I agree with you on ALL counts.

eye95

I know a lot of businesses who are anti-gun, anti-OC... but none of them are gun shops.

Personally, if a gun shop did not want me to carry my gun at their shop I would go to another one. It isn't like they are hard to find..?

Seems silly though, right?

That's like a mechanic who doesn't want you to drive to his shop, or a cigar bar that doesn't allow smoking...

There are two gun shops in the Birmingham area that don't allow loaded carry. I don't remember their names because I have been their once.

45acpForMe

There are a few gun stores around my area that don't allow carry of loaded guns when shopping. I tend to not visit those stores on purpose.

One store in particular that surprised me is Blackhawk Headquarters in Norfolk, VA. I went to their showroom one day and was immediately asked if I was LEO. When I responded "no" they then asked if my gun was loaded. Since it was I laughed and told them at which the person working (a woman) asked me to take my gun out to my car and unload it.

Since this showroom is inside their headquarters on the first floor, I can kind of understand why they wouldn't want an negligent discharge since office space is around the store but since they sell gun equipment I was surprised. The woman told me that they don't allow loaded weapons (except LEO) since people like to try out holsters. I suggested a sign stating "Please do not unholster loaded weapons!" rather than forcing people to unload.

Now since it is Blackhawk I know they aren't "anti" but didn't like their policy at their HQ showroom/store. I sent a letter to the CEO asking for clarification and review of their policy. Regardless of the answer I don't plan to boycott their products but at least wanted them to review their policy. If they continue to disallow OC in their store I will simply shop online or at other stores.

Others have noted that because of available venue's most gun shows require unloading weapons. I don't boycott gun shows because I know it is the convention center rules rather than the vendors.

Last edited:

Broondog

there is only one shop in my area that has a "no loaded firearms allowed" sign on the door. i've only been there a handful of times and that was only to buy primers during the "big scare" since no other shop had any.

i will avoid anti-carry and anti-gun businesses as much as possible but when they are the only place to get something you need, a choice has to be made.

XD40coyote

I try not to go to one gun store located on " 2nd Amendment Drive", which must not be as passionate as they try to look like. They are ok if you CC, but the owner doesn't like OC, even though the employees and himself OC in the store. They might want to change their name to something with " Brady" in it, since the anti OC reasons are as rediculous and full of illogic as Paul Helmke's rants. And rename the road " Part of the 2nd Amendment Drive"

A gun store that dislikes customer OC is like a trapping supplier disliking trappers wearing fur hats into their store.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Each situation is different. If it was the only shop within a reasonable distance, I might put up with it, while gently working to change their mind at every opportunity.

If there were other shops, competitive, within range, I might spend more time and money at the shops that did not refuse OC.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

In shops if they want safety to not be an issue, then you simply should not argue the point; their staff might actually be armed after all. This is a very simple DUH moment and can usually be resolved by talking to management/ownership and asking the questions, you'll get an applicable answer. From what I'm reading, you didn't ask the questions and if you did you failed to post up the questions you asked and the responses which means you're trying to start an issue when none exists. If their reasoning is safety due to trades and sales, then respect that reason and don't be a jerk about it and claim their anti-gun. As for a gun forum that does not agree to support OC you likely will not find an entire forum (as in its usership) that does not agree with OC. You will have folks that stand on either side and some that feel there is a time and place for both.

Some would argue that property rights precede all others.

Do they? If so, then you as a private property owner are obligated to protect me (liable for any injuries) while I'm on your property and your insurance company as well as the courts say that is fact and is the reason we must carry property liability insurance. Granted, I'm taking it a bit far as you can see, but it's an approach to clearly illustrate that where the gap exists the individual must be allowed to fill in that if the property owner is not liable for injuries or required to protect the individual from a BG or crime occuring on their property that impacts me and LEOs simply cannot and will not fill that void, then you and I (the individual) must be allowed to take the necessary steps to preserve and protect our own life as well as the lives of our loved ones or companions. I hope that made sense and wasn't clear as mud.

Last edited:

XD40coyote

Well the store I refer to has a new competitor who ENCOURAGES customer OC. I went up there last week and OC'd. The new guy doesn't have the huge selection of everything the other place has, and doesn't have a big indoor range like the other place has, but he is expanding, and can get whatever you want, and will do reasonably priced transfers for online purchases. He wants to get a small space just over the line in MD also, for transfers for the MD people.

I first met him at the OC dinner that I set up in southern York county PA. Oh and he asked if he could fiddle around with some .50 BMG reloads on my parent's land LOL.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Well the store I refer to has a new competitor who ENCOURAGES customer OC. I went up there last week and OC'd. The new guy doesn't have the huge selection of everything the other place has, and doesn't have a big indoor range like the other place has, but he is expanding, and can get whatever you want, and will do reasonably priced transfers for online purchases. He wants to get a small space just over the line in MD also, for transfers for the MD people.

I first met him at the OC dinner that I set up in southern York county PA. Oh and he asked if he could fiddle around with some .50 BMG reloads on my parent's land LOL.

Did you inquire as to the reasons with the other facility yet? You may have answered your own question with the information that they have an indoor range. Might totally be a safety thing.