• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Identifying and NOT supporting anti-OC businesses.

architect

Might totally be a safety thing.

This seems disingenuous to me. If it is a "safety thing" then they should say why. Making blanket policy that prohibits carry hurts the 2A rights movement, making anti-OC policy divides the movement.

Safety is always a trade-off, many would argue that lawful carry makes things safer, not more dangerous.

"Do not unholster loaded firearms" is a rule I can respect, but if you're already following the big three (or four), it is unnecessary.

Last edited:

KRM59

did some looking

after this post was started i did some looking around out of curiosity, and i have ventured to every gun shop and range in my area.
all the gun shops/stores have an unloaded policy. and even the indoor range, gun must be unloaded, and slide locked back, or in a carry case unloaded.
but on the other hand i have OCed at Dicks Sporting good,Peppers,and Bull Frog gardens. with no problems. Just found it all interesting.

simmonsjoe

Many of these places will have such a policy posted, yet tolerate holster carry. (Especially if it is obvious you carry often.)

They have very good reasons to post these policies.

Remember many people at an indoor range you see, don't carry daily, and/or don't shoot often. These people are definitely high risk in my book. So much so I no longer go to indoor ranges unless it is for an IDPA or other shoot.

People who carry daily are generally low on my radar.

SavageOne

There are a few gun stores around my area that don't allow carry of loaded guns when shopping. I tend to not visit those stores on purpose.

One store in particular that surprised me is Blackhawk Headquarters in Norfolk, VA. I went to their showroom one day and was immediately asked if I was LEO. When I responded "no" they then asked if my gun was loaded. Since it was I laughed and told them at which the person working (a woman) asked me to take my gun out to my car and unload it.

Since this showroom is inside their headquarters on the first floor, I can kind of understand why they wouldn't want an negligent discharge since office space is around the store but since they sell gun equipment I was surprised. The woman told me that they don't allow loaded weapons (except LEO) since people like to try out holsters. I suggested a sign stating "Please do not unholster loaded weapons!" rather than forcing people to unload.

Now since it is Blackhawk I know they aren't "anti" but didn't like their policy at their HQ showroom/store. I sent a letter to the CEO asking for clarification and review of their policy. Regardless of the answer I don't plan to boycott their products but at least wanted them to review their policy. If they continue to disallow OC in their store I will simply shop online or at other stores.

Others have noted that because of available venue's most gun shows require unloading weapons. I don't boycott gun shows because I know it is the convention center rules rather than the vendors.

That LEO only carry thing has always bothered me. I'm not trying to bash, but I know more than a few and I get more range time than them. My father to this day has his nose out of joint over a State Trooper who used to coon hunt with him and several friends, he would carry while hunting. My father and the others could run the dogs out of season but were not allowed to carry a firearm(State regs.). When my father commented about his sidearm, the Trooper said he was required to carry at all times. I have talked to other LEO's I am acquainted with and they have said they generally always carry but are not required to. I guess my main problem is the universal assumption that just because you're a LEO 1) You're more capible or more gun safe and 2) You have to carry everywhere.

VFORVENDETTA

That LEO only carry thing has always bothered me. I'm not trying to bash, but I know more than a few and I get more range time than them. My father to this day has his nose out of joint over a State Trooper who used to coon hunt with him and several friends, he would carry while hunting. My father and the others could run the dogs out of season but were not allowed to carry a firearm(State regs.). When my father commented about his sidearm, the Trooper said he was required to carry at all times. I have talked to other LEO's I am acquainted with and they have said they generally always carry but are not required to. I guess my main problem is the universal assumption that just because you're a LEO 1) You're more capible or more gun safe and 2) You have to carry everywhere.

One you become a leo, you become superhuman. Like ...um..ROBOCOP.

HvyMtl

I have gone into a gun store which was posted to prevent carry.

I asked the why. Their response was, there was an incident where a person came in carrying a firearm he wanted to sell. When he removed his pistol from his holster, it went off, injuring a salesperson...

So, due to the actions of one, the rights of others gets limited.

In addition, I have heard the issue of the landlord saying no, and insurance saying no.

What we should be focused on is not doing business with people who actively attempt to limit our rights. (Example: A "Restaurantier" in Nashville, TN, who funded the lawsuit to block carry in restaurants serving alcohol...)

Jack House

If his reason is true, I would not blame him. If I got shot or injured by a careless dolt that came in with a loaded gun to sell, I'd probably feel the same way.

Though I think a reasonable compromise could be made. Something like "DO NOT UNHOLSTER LOADED GUNS." *shrugs*