• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to open carry a handgun

Asbestos

To start off I am only 18 years old and would like to open carry a handgun, now what I was wondering is can I if i am only 18? The gun is my fathers, and the reason i want to open carry is i am going to start scouting for game out in the desert and i don't want to carry my rifle around and i don't want to be doing anything illegal. Im sorry if this has been asked before but i looked and did not see any answers to my question.

Asbestos

What do you mean by area, I have legally purchase a rifle from a pawn shop so i believe i am legally allowed to own a gun.

AZkopper

If you are not a prohibited possessor (felon, order of protection subject, mentally incompetant, etc) and 18 years old, you can open carry just like anyone else in AZ.

March Hare

First, welcome to the forum!

What do you mean by area, I have legally purchased a rifle from a pawn shop so i believe i am legally allowed to own a gun.

Yes, you are, and you can legally open carry at 18.

Some parts of the state can be off limits for firearms regardless of age.
Be careful not to go onto reservation and military land, things can get sticky there.

You should be fine just about everywhere, you probably won't get much more than a glance, probably just be asked what you're carrying, if anything.

A LEO -might- ask to check your age, if you look young enough.

Just be polite and courteous to everyone and remember that you're representing the gun carrying community when you're out and about!

Good luck with the hunting, be careful and carry on!

-MH

Last edited:

azcdlfred

To start off I am only 18 years old and would like to open carry a handgun, now what I was wondering is can I if i am only 18? The gun is my fathers, and the reason i want to open carry is i am going to start scouting for game out in the desert and i don't want to carry my rifle around and i don't want to be doing anything illegal. Im sorry if this has been asked before but i looked and did not see any answers to my question.
The best source of correct information is this document posted on the Department of Public Safety (DPS) website. This is the document that all CCW instructors are required to use when teaching the DPS CCW course. It's a treasure trove:
http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/documents/instructors_ccw_legal.pdf

The actual law regarding 18-21 gun carrying is ARS 13-3102.B1 & B3:
http://tinyurl.com/ARS133102 .

Bear in mind that the B3 language is similar to what used to be in ARS 13-3102.G (you won't find it, it's been replaced this year) that was subject to 1994 court decisions that said that "wholly or partially visible" means "obvious under ordinary observation" and that a gun in a vehicle was a concealed weapon.

Fred

Last edited: