• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

230gr vs 185gr

kg4usk

So I've been contemplating going to the gun show this weekend to get some Georgia Arms reloads. I shot some out of my XD45, 1911 and USP 45 at the range the other day and holy crap, that stuff is VERY clean! I was looking on their web site and it looks like they have 230gr FMJ as well as 185gr FMJ. They're both the same price. I was just wondering what would be the more accurate load? I guess the 185gr bullets would have a higher muzzle velocity but not sure how stable the round would be. I've been thinking about getting into IDPA, so I've been trying to find some good but cheap ammo to practice with.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
How stable? 'Splain yourself, Lucy!

You are aware that there will probably be differences in POI between 230gr and 185gr, aren't you.

And if you are looking for IDPA-style action, drop by Dominion Shooting Range on Monday nights around 6PM. It's not "official" official IDPA with boxes and calculators and lists of not-approved holsters, but good practical shooting. (There! hlh does not have to do his commercial now. 8>) )

stay safe.

kg4usk

I was thinking maybe a little less stable since it is 185gr FMJ ball ammo and a lighter bullet would be shorter than the regular 230gr. I guess I could buy both and test them out but I'm still honing my skills and I'm not sure I could effectively produce proper test results. I can definitely shoot best with my 1911, but I want to practice with my USP which has a shorter bbl by 1/2 inch or so.
I heard Dominion has IDPA style matches there but I just started classes and unfortunately my class schedule coincides with the Monday night shoots at DMP.

"You are aware that there will probably be differences in POI between 230gr and 185gr, aren't you." - skidmark
Umm, no I am not :p What exactly is POI?
Thanks.

Last edited:

daddy4count

Higher velocity should mean better ballistics, but there is something to be said for higher mass and momentum...

Accuracy will probably depend on which you are most comfortable with... you may notice a tad more muzzle flip from the higher velocity 185s... maybe a tad more felt recoil from pushing the heavier 230s... or you may notice no difference at all.

In my 45ACP carry rounds I switched from 230+P to 200+P to get a slight bump in velocity but also because they felt better to shoot. That and a former LEO training officer told me that the 200 gr would penetrate a car door where the 230s would not.

I don't know how true that is, but figured what the hell... kind of like carrying silver tips, never know when you're gonna need to put down a warewolf

.45acp

Out of curiosity, is this from barrel rifling on the longer edge of the 230 or is it sheer aerodynamics?

No it is due to several factors that effect POI. Generally .45acp's have the sights set for 230 ball ammo. That is the standard .45acp round. In case of adjustable sights, the change of POI is correctable with sight adjustment. In case of fixed sights, changing the height of the rear or front sight will bring the POI back to point of aim.

For myself, I don’t bother with the lighter bullet weights except, when shooting traditional bullseye. As far as accuracy, I doubt that you will notice any difference shooting at speed in the 3 to 12 yard ranges. Between two significantly different bullet weights you may notice a change in POI, but will you notice the difference between 1” and 1.25 “ groups for IDPA?

kg4usk

Hmm, not sure how or why this topic ended up in the "Holsters and Accessories" section. Anyway, I reckon sticking with the traditional 230gr weight would probably be a good idea since it's more readily available and seems to be the standard round. I may end up getting a bag or two or the 185gr stuff just to test out myself. Basically I gots little moneyz to spend on ammo so I was gonna get it in bulk but it's not really that much more buying it separately. It's $5 cheaper buying bulk plus you get an ammo can.
Hopefully by this time next week I'll get a chance to take the 1911 out and attempt to put together a range report comparing the two.

daddy4count

Browning was a PIMP!

850 fps... isn't that subsonic?

<edit> yep, only about 2/3 SSB... 1125 is the sound barrier... right? Not sure why this surprises me... brain is thinking back to the +P .40's maybe? I think the hottest thing I've put through my .45ACP has been just under 1100fps

Last edited:

simmonsjoe

Are you sure?

Higher velocity should mean better ballistics, but there is something to be said for higher mass and momentum...

Accuracy will probably depend on which you are most comfortable with... you may notice a tad more muzzle flip from the higher velocity 185s... maybe a tad more felt recoil from pushing the heavier 230s... or you may notice no difference at all.

In my 45ACP carry rounds I switched from 230+P to 200+P to get a slight bump in velocity but also because they felt better to shoot. That and a former LEO training officer told me that the 200 gr would penetrate a car door where the 230s would not.

I don't know how true that is, but figured what the hell... kind of like carrying silver tips, never know when you're gonna need to put down a warewolf
A standard 230g will penetrate a car door. (yes I've tried) The only benefit of 200g+p is that 230+p can actually over-penetrate. Even though the lighter rounds are faster, the heavier +p rounds penetrate Ballistic Gelatin more.
185g +p has less recoil, but the penetration is limited. 230+p had a lot of penetration. So I went with the 200g+p.

So I agree with his recommendation of 200+p, but question his reasoning.

Last edited:

jadedone4

So I've been contemplating going to the gun show this weekend to get some Georgia Arms reloads. I shot some out of my XD45, 1911 and USP 45 at the range the other day and holy crap, that stuff is VERY clean! I was looking on their web site and it looks like they have 230gr FMJ as well as 185gr FMJ. They're both the same price. I was just wondering what would be the more accurate load? I guess the 185gr bullets would have a higher muzzle velocity but not sure how stable the round would be. I've been thinking about getting into IDPA, so I've been trying to find some good but cheap ammo to practice with.

I have used Georgia Arms ammo - .45 to be exact in 185/gr FMJ's - currently sitting on 1500/rds.

The price is between 230/gr and 185/gr is about $30 per 500/1000/rds; spoke to the guys at the Chantilly show - they price everything the same - show or online - wasn't able to negoitate much -but that could be me. Also word to wise, if you looking for .380, they had it on Friday but were sold out by SaturdayAM (I missed out so I was pissed).

if you are running FMJ's for range use (I do) I'd get the 185; I too carry 230/gr (assorted between Hornady/TAP, Speer Gold Dots and Sabers); you DO notice muzzle-flip and recoil - but that is why you train, train and train more with your weapon so that you can properly manage the recoil (for second, third shots, as well as getting the first shot to go "bang" and hit what you are attempting to hit).

I happen to like Georgia Arms ammo in .45 and .380; wouldn't buy any other calibers - as from a cost-point comparison basis, cheaper with other brands - suspect that the "rarity" of .45 and .380 is the driver for Georgia being the most reasonable outlet.

zoom6zoom

I've always preferred the heavier bullet weights, just what works for me. Just got a can of the the GA, will be trying it out soon. They had a nice free shipping deal last month, it was nice to have the UPS guy lug it to the door instead of my having to lug ammo cans across the gun show parking lot.

groovedrummer

Browning a pimp, interesting comment considering almost every modern semi auto pistol uses the basis of his design.

Humor or ignorance?

whhhheeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuu

that is the sound of that one going right over your head. lol