Thread: Tuscobia State Trail?

Tuscobia State Trail?

I live close to the Tuscobia trail head north of Rice Lake, and was wondering if anybody knows what regulations (if any) are on open carrying on the trail? We go there quite often and ride our horses and I have wanted to carry while riding but with it being a state trail am not sure on the legality. They have a website and it says that no small game hunting is allowed but during the gun deer season you can hunt on the trail, but nothing is said about whether or not guns are allowed any other time. I am assuming since it's not posted "no guns" that it would be ok. I am new to carrying and just don't want to have my first time end up getting me in trouble for lack of knowledge. Any info would be really helpful.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    NR 45.09 Firearms and hunting. (1) No person may
    take, catch, kill, hunt, trap or pursue any wild animal or bird, or
    discharge any firearm, or have in possession or under control any
    firearm or air gun as defined in s. 939.22, Stats., unless it is
    unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case, or any bow, slingshot
    or spring−load devise designed for shooting a projectile unless the
    same is unstrung or enclosed in a carrying case while in any state
    park, fish hatchery, or within 100 yards of any state campground,
    picnic area or other special use area designated by the department
    by posted notice.

I understand the state park thing but you don't need a state park sticker to park, no campgrounds for miles, and on the webite it states that the rules of the trail vary by counties, or even municipalities it runs through. And of course there is nothing stating the disallowance of guns at the trailhead. I guess I'll have to call the Rice Lake tourism number given on the website. What would be the best way to phrase the question if open carry is legal or not on their section of trail?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Ask forgiveness rather than permission, that way you gain standing for an argument and appeal. They have no duty to tell the truth.

Did you miss, "...or other special use area designated by the department by posted notice."? There are legal requirements for "posted notice" and they do not include signs.

Are we tiptoeing along the border between conservatism and anarchy here, asking for a citation and then arguing against it? A state park sticker makes nothing legal, ordinances vary by political subdivision and the Sun rises everyday.

http://www.tuscobiatrail.com/
    From website safety msg: Follow all regulations by requesting specific trail information for each area as rules can vary.
    Kathy Oginski, Property Manager- Ranger Tuscobia State Trail
    Winter Ranger Station
    5289 N Cemetery Road
    P.O. Box 187
    Winter, WI 54896
    kathy.oginski@wisconsin.gov
    Office 715-266-7032
    Cell 715-563-0138
    Home 715-372-8193

Don't call to ask permission or even if they allow it. Call for the specific trail information brochure or website.