• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tuscobia State Trail?

jessejmc1979

I live close to the Tuscobia trail head north of Rice Lake, and was wondering if anybody knows what regulations (if any) are on open carrying on the trail? We go there quite often and ride our horses and I have wanted to carry while riding but with it being a state trail am not sure on the legality. They have a website and it says that no small game hunting is allowed but during the gun deer season you can hunt on the trail, but nothing is said about whether or not guns are allowed any other time. I am assuming since it's not posted "no guns" that it would be ok. I am new to carrying and just don't want to have my first time end up getting me in trouble for lack of knowledge. Any info would be really helpful.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
NR 45.09 Firearms and hunting. (1) No person may
take, catch, kill, hunt, trap or pursue any wild animal or bird, or
discharge any firearm, or have in possession or under control any
firearm or air gun as defined in s. 939.22, Stats., unless it is
unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case, or any bow, slingshot
or spring−load devise designed for shooting a projectile unless the
same is unstrung or enclosed in a carrying case while in any state
park, fish hatchery, or within 100 yards of any state campground,
picnic area or other special use area designated by the department
by posted notice.

jessejmc1979

I understand the state park thing but you don't need a state park sticker to park, no campgrounds for miles, and on the webite it states that the rules of the trail vary by counties, or even municipalities it runs through. And of course there is nothing stating the disallowance of guns at the trailhead. I guess I'll have to call the Rice Lake tourism number given on the website. What would be the best way to phrase the question if open carry is legal or not on their section of trail?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Ask forgiveness rather than permission, that way you gain standing for an argument and appeal. They have no duty to tell the truth.

Did you miss, "...or other special use area designated by the department by posted notice."? There are legal requirements for "posted notice" and they do not include signs.

Are we tiptoeing along the border between conservatism and anarchy here, asking for a citation and then arguing against it? A state park sticker makes nothing legal, ordinances vary by political subdivision and the Sun rises everyday.

Cobbersmom

http://www.tuscobiatrail.com/
From website safety msg: Follow all regulations by requesting specific trail information for each area as rules can vary.
Kathy Oginski, Property Manager- Ranger Tuscobia State Trail
Winter Ranger Station
5289 N Cemetery Road
P.O. Box 187
Winter, WI 54896
kathy.oginski@wisconsin.gov
Office 715-266-7032
Cell 715-563-0138
Home 715-372-8193

Don't call to ask permission or even if they allow it. Call for the specific trail information brochure or website.